b2k

how to attach this rivet

Hi everyone,
I've got a few hundred mushroom rivets/buttons/thingies, but I have no idea how those are supposed to be attached

IMG_20201121_105521.thumb.jpg.e21d8093fead18142d8bd97a2ed17006.jpgIMG_20201121_105533.thumb.jpg.b8dec263c1d673ea00e6bddaf94c6b8e.jpg

I've experimented with cutting a slit the width of the mushroom base with a center hole the same size of the stem, inserting the mushroom and then sewing it shut, but without a lining the blasted thing moves.
I've also done the same on a patch of leather and sewing the patch, with the mushroom inserted in, on the final product, but both ways are time consuming and seems clunky and inelegant.

Any idea on tools, methods, and also the right name of this thing?
Any help appreciated, thanks!

I assume there's no hole on the flat side to accept a rivet?

26 minutes ago, maxdaddy said:

I assume there's no hole on the flat side to accept a rivet?

Nope, it's solid brass, that's the problem :|

I've seen those on really old straps for cameras and binoculars and such, they go thru two slots with holes, like you say  in the strap and dont have anything to rivet them to. Here is a picture of some on a pack strap. ON this site they are called sabre or knapsack buttons   http://blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg27.htm

strap.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

Yeah, I think I'd toss them or keep them for some day when an obscure thing decides it needs them. There are too many other good fastening options to force those on yourself.

Maybe you could punch a hole the size of the shaft and then soak the leather and force the mushroom bit through the hole and then let it dry and sew on a backing plate or liner for it? It wouldn't immobilize it but at least it wouldn't be wasted. It sounds like you tried something similar to that already though. Aside from that, toss them or wait.

Just now, battlemunky said:

Yeah, I think I'd toss them or keep them for some day when an obscure thing decides it needs them. There are too many other good fastening options to force those on yourself.

Maybe you could punch a hole the size of the shaft and then soak the leather and force the mushroom bit through the hole and then let it dry and sew on a backing plate or liner for it? It wouldn't immobilize it but at least it wouldn't be wasted. It sounds like you tried something similar to that already though. Aside from that, toss them or wait.

they are for straps and are about $4.00 a pop.

2 hours ago, b2k said:

Hi everyone,
I've got a few hundred mushroom rivets/buttons/thingies, but I have no idea how those are supposed to be attached

IMG_20201121_105521.thumb.jpg.e21d8093fead18142d8bd97a2ed17006.jpgIMG_20201121_105533.thumb.jpg.b8dec263c1d673ea00e6bddaf94c6b8e.jpg

I've experimented with cutting a slit the width of the mushroom base with a center hole the same size of the stem, inserting the mushroom and then sewing it shut, but without a lining the blasted thing moves.
I've also done the same on a patch of leather and sewing the patch, with the mushroom inserted in, on the final product, but both ways are time consuming and seems clunky and inelegant.

Any idea on tools, methods, and also the right name of this thing?
Any help appreciated, thanks!

If you lived closer I'd drive over and make you a deal for them.

Punch a hole the diameter of the shaft . . .  and from that hole . . . go the width of the head with a slot.  

When you use these . . . one piece has the slot going to the left . . . the other to the right . . . and they'll work.

I would use them on suspenders . . . military straps . . . etc.

May God bless,

Dwight

So those are like cufflinks, to be used on straps and such when necessary but are not permanently affixed, right?

7 minutes ago, b2k said:

So those are like cufflinks, to be used on straps and such when necessary but are not permanently affixed, right?

Yes, they work like cuff links, use Dwights post on how to cut the holes in the straps.

I was confused at first because one side was flat and the other is convex. It does look like a button stud. So these are just like the little dumbells for attaching a chinstrap to a helmet or whatnot? 

Stud1.jpeg

Stud2.jpeg

Stud3.jpeg

I'm too tight a-wallet to throw these sorts of things away.

If it was me I'd set up to drill out a hole on the back, tap it for a 3mm or 4mm flanged head screw and turn them into screw-attachable Same Browne studs