jrny4wrd

Artificial sinew

How strong is artificial sinew? Is it dependible enough to use for hand stitched wallets? Is it strong enough for regular thread substitution or does it fray too much? Is friction an issue? 

It is pretty darn tuff stuff. It will fray from friction wear. I used  it a lot back in the 70-80 for Muzzleloading leather items. Hand sewn. It is widely used for tying / lacing down windings in rewinding electric motors. I have used rolls and rolls of the stuff.  Curious. As why you would want it for wallets with all the other threads available?

Edited by klutes

39 minutes ago, jrny4wrd said:

artificial sinew

A hard question to answer without knowing more about the product. I hand sew and find that sometimes I've pulled the thread "one to many times" and have had it break unexpectedly. You'll probably have to waste some with a little trial and error. Some hand sewers add wax to their thread to keep in from fraying and to keep the friction to a minimum. Of course the size of the stitching holes will factor in along with the temper of the leather. Good luck.

The stuff I have is not braided or even twisted so if I'm not careful it will split and pull off the needle.  I put a full twist on the thread between the second and third piercing (standard "S" threading) to form a thread lock and it seems to work.  I also keep to 30" or less per threading due to the fraying issue.  Once it's sewn it seems to hold up well as long as it's not in an abrasive environment, I don't think I'd use it on a wallet.

Clarification, I call the passing of the thread through the needle eye the first piercing.

Edited by Squid61
Clarification

45 minutes ago, Squid61 said:

it seems to hold up well as long as it's not in an abrasive environment

As long as the finished look is what you are going for, sounds like you know what works best. 

59 minutes ago, Squid61 said:

The stuff I have is not braided or even twisted so if I'm not careful it will split and pull off the needle.  I put a full twist on the thread between the second and third piercing (standard "S" threading) to form a thread lock and it seems to work.  I also keep to 30" or less per threading due to the fraying issue.  Once it's sewn it seems to hold up well as long as it's not in an abrasive environment, I don't think I'd use it on a wallet.

Clarification, I call the passing of the thread through the needle eye the first piercing.

No it’s not twisted . Or at least all that I have seen isn’t. As far as breaking strength it is strong stuff.

It is very strong stuff, but for exposed stitching, it is ugly as sin.

8 hours ago, klutes said:

It is pretty darn tuff stuff. It will fray from friction wear. I used  it a lot back in the 70-80 for Muzzleloading leather items. Hand sewn. It is widely used for tying / lacing down windings in rewinding electric motors. I have used rolls and rolls of the stuff.  Curious. As why you would want it for wallets with all the other threads available?

It was really just an example but it would bring a unique look to projects.