JayEhl

Tandy Cowboy Outlaw Sewing Machine.

Hi,

I saw this in my email yesterday.  I am interested in a sewing machine, not necessarily this one, but a starter machine.  I like the idea of it being manual (more because of cost) but thought the lever pulling kind would be tiresome vs a wheel/crank version.  I know from this forum there are different opinions about Tandy products but because this was intriguing, I wanted the opinion of more experienced and informed members of the group.

https://tandyleather.com/products/cowboy-outlaw-machine-with-platform

Thanks in advance. 

~JL

Hello Jay,

I have a Tippmann Boss.  I am 82 and have suffered no ill effects from pulling on the lever

Good luck with whatever you buy

for $1400 dollars i think i would go for a used powered sewing machine. just watched a demo video from the tandy website and the stitches looked horrible and the whole work bench was rocking from pulling the lever.

IDK what kind of work you do or plan on doing but IMO these manual machines do work, some better than others..... but usually not well enough for my liking.

just my $.02

Edited by CastleLeatherWorks

@Hasbeencowboy  I noticed it was really similar to the boss and I appreciate your feedback.  82 and still rockin'?  I hope to have that ability when I get to retire in a few years!

@CastleLeatherWorks   I'm glad you chimed in, as well.  This is my first sewing machine and I am cautious as to what would make the most sense.  My projects are the usual newbie smaller stuff.  Mostly key chains, wallets, coasters, dog collars, and (and lots of 'art' work - haha)  But with a sewing machine I wanted to do something like journal covers and belts, things that have long stitch lines that makes hand sewing less enjoyable.  I've seen lots of models that are in the $2k range like the Cobra Class 26 but the wife would kill me if I bought something like that!  I do know that I should get something more industrial than a regular sewing machine and I've managed to save some money. I know that quality and durability cost money. Do you have any recommendations for the about $1k range?  Or do you believe it would be better if I waited and saved up for something more expensive?    Your thoughts (and any one else's ) is appreciated!

~JL

Have you asked your local sewing machine shops if they have any used machines for sale that fit your requirements, working on the assumption they will have serviced them and also let you try them out before purchase.

oh, I thought I had to go to an industrial sewing machine repair shop to find something like this!  I'll have to check into this.   Thanks!

6 hours ago, JayEhl said:

My projects are the usual newbie smaller stuff.  Mostly key chains, wallets, coasters, dog collars... But with a sewing machine I wanted to do something like journal covers and belts

Jay, this is not as simple as this sounds. It is not the size ot the product that will be the determining factor in the type of machine you buy, but rather the thickness of the leather of your projects.  While wallets and knife sheaths can both be thought of as small projects, they are very different. With a wallet. the combined thickness of all of your layers may be 1/8 inch or less. You would most likely want thinner thread with smaller needle/holes.  The sheath will consist of the top and bottom pieces as well as a welt.  If you are using 8 oz of veg tanned leather (1/8" thick) with 3 layers, that is 3/8" total thickness. It will require a much thicker needle (and more power) to punch through that much leather as well as thicker thread for strength. which creates bigger holes which might not look so good on a wallet. Machines designed for lighter leather products may not have the power or presser foot lift to sew through thicker leather projects, while machines capable of sewing through 3/4" veg tanned leather such as the 441 clones, will generally not work well with thinner needles and threads needed for lighter weight leather products. 

We all want one machine that will do it all well, but I have yet to see that machine. Your situation is not unique.  I, like many here, was in the same boat as you not that long ago. My suggestion is to first figure out what you really want to be making with leather, or what your highest priority for a stitcher is, and use that as a guideline.  For me, I don't mind hand stitching that much, as I kind of find it relaxing, but doing belts can get a little monotonous. So, I ended up with a 441 clone with a 16” arm (bought used from craigs list for $300 more than the Outlaw) to sew the heaver weight and longer projects like holsters and belts.  Journal covers and lighter weight projects still get hand sewn, so it is the best of both worlds for me.

I did look at the Outlaw, and although sold by Tandy, it is not made by them.  It is made/imported by HighTex which is the maker/importer of the Cowboy line of industrial/leather stitchers, as sold by our sponsor Cowboy Bob of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. Like any hand stitcher, you would want to mount it to a solid work surface.  Here is a video by HighTex on the Outlaw, mounted to a rolling tool chest, which might not be the best installation method for production use:

If you still like the idea of a portable stitcher, see if the Tandy nearest to you has both the Outlaw and the Tippman Boss. If they do take the drive and compare them both side by side.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide.

Edited by RemingtonSteel
Missing Quote

I think these are great machines - it’s a niche between nothing and full 441 machine.   The footprint of a big machine is not a trivial thing if space is limited, especially if it is only used once in a while.

The lever on these machines also remind me of reloading ammunition.   In use it can be relaxing, quiet, simple.   

You might want to look at the Weaver Master Tools Cub machine as well.

Space aside  - have you considered machines like the CB-3200 with reverse, speed reducer and motor? Costs more but for sure is a lot more comfortable.

Before you buy a hand crank machine I´d test both the motor driven machine and the hand cracked machines (if possible). I have tried treadle machine > I don´t like it! I have tried hand crank machines > I don´t like it! And I have tried motor driven machines with speed reducer > I like it a lot. But thats just me. So before you pull the trigger better test the machines to see which one you prefer - honestly!

Edited by Constabulary

On 3/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, RemingtonSteel said:

Jay, this is not as simple as this sounds.

While researching sewing machines, I've come to learn this to be so true.  And I thank you so much for your advice. 

I think I need to focus on just a couple machines that I need to look for because it is getting confusing on brand and versions.  It's making my tiny brain hurt!  

Jay, I was looking at the Tippman Boss and the Cowboy Outlaw.  People either love or hate the Boss, and I don't think the Outlaw has been around long enough to find enough people that have had/have one to get a good sense of its functionality, reliability, and stitching quality. I believe that Cowboy, took a hard look at the Boss, and took into account all of its strengths and weaknesses, and tried to minimize/eliminate the weaknesses to produce a better machine.  Whether or not Cowboy achieved this or not, I can't say, but I personally was leaning toward the Outlaw as it appears to be really well made, with a similar shuttle/bobbin assembly to that of the 441 clones.

Here is the irony of it all... I took so much time researching and agonizing over which one to buy in addition to the desire to have a powered machine, I ended up saving even more money over that time frame that I could put toward a used powered machine.

6 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I think I need to focus on just a couple machines that I need to look for because it is getting confusing on brand and versions.  It's making my tiny brain hurt! 

Maybe I can be of a little more assistance here.  As far as the clones go, if you stick with Artisan, Cobra, Cowboy, Ferdco, SewPro, or TechSew (alphabetical order, no preference), you won't go wrong.  All have clones that are based on tried-and-true name brand machines like the Juki 441, or other models. They have been around for years and are used by many members of this forum. From what you have stated above, it sounds like you are going to mainly be sewing veg tanned leather. So, start by narrowing down your search by determining 3 main spec that your sewing machine will require in order to sew your projects, and the are: Presser Foot Lift, Sewing Thickness, and Arm Length. Presser Foot Lift and Sewing Thickness (essentially, but not the same) will be determined by the thickest piece of assembleed leather that you intend to sew. Arm length is determined by the largest pieces you intend to sew and how easily it can be maneuver in the space the machine's arm length offers. 

Although all of the clone manufacturers may offer machines that look the same such as a 441 clone with a 9" arm, you might find that if you look at the specs, they may have different presser foot lift and sewing thickness limitations. If buying new, you would then narrow down your search to those manufacturers that have a machine that meets your requirements, and then it may just come down to who offers the best price, or service, or be local enough for you to pick up and save shipping on, etc.  However if buying used, those don't factor in, and you end up just getting whatever brand becomes available near you, when you are ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. In the meantime, keep a eye out on Craigslist and other classified sites, and don't narrow your search in the keywords you choose or the distance from your home.  I drove 2 1/2 hours each way to pick up my machine, but it was well worth it.

Good Luck. 

I’ve tried 2 different Tandy stores and neither had a cowboy outlaw machine that I could look at. One had a boss but the demo was broken.  I just can’t get comfy spending 1400 for something I can’t see in person. I bought a used Seiko stw 8/ consew 225 and after a month of tinkering and one trip to the shop I’m still not able to sew on the thing.  I’m very frustrated. I have a couple of threads on here about my efforts.  I think I’d buy an outlaw if I could try it out. 

The thread size and thickness it can sew really appeal to me. I have other machines but this would fill a gap