jcuk

Le Prevo ?

Went to Le Prevos site today not sure if means they are stopping trading all together or scaling down. While i don't do a lot of trade with them when i have, i've found them very good people to work with, i know there are many here that use them a lot which means they will sadly missed by leather workers in the UK.  If they are to cease trading completely, hope not, because they are always another option for things i may need that other suppliers may not have in stock or stock to start with and their prices are very good. 

http://www.leprevo.co.uk 

JCUK

Seeing this I just went to their website.

Stu told me back in January he was thinking of retiring but I thought he was joking

I've been buying from them for over 20 years. They were the only place who would send to N.I.

If they close my only other option is to buy from Tandy in Texas

34 minutes ago, fredk said:

Seeing this I just went to their website.

Stu told me back in January he was thinking of retiring but I thought he was joking

I've been buying from them for over 20 years. They were the only place who would send to N.I.

Sad if that is it, will Abbey not send to N.I. they use to deal with me when i was in middle east 25 years ago, and if you mind me asking who else have you tried in G.B.

Edited by jcuk

When I started in this crazy lark about 21 years ago I searched out and contacted many places. Some never answered, some just said they didn't "export to 'Ireland' " or didn't send to N.I.  Only Le Prevo, Stu himself, replied with, 'What do you want?' and I've been buying from them ever since

afair I did contact Abbey a couple of years ago about buying a round knife but their answer was 'we don't send to Ireland'

There are many, many companies, not only leather suppliers but in other things as well, in GB who will just not send to N.I. Sometimes we are just a pariah

14 minutes ago, fredk said:

who will just not send to N.I

Since I am from across the pond, I haven't a clue.  Why is this?

YinTx

12 minutes ago, fredk said:

When I started in this crazy lark about 21 years ago I searched out and contacted many places. Some never answered, some just said they didn't "export to 'Ireland' " or didn't send to N.I.  Only Le Prevo, Stu himself, replied with, 'What do you want?' and I've been buying from them ever since

afair I did contact Abbey a couple of years ago about buying a round knife but their answer was 'we don't send to Ireland'

There are many, many companies, not only leather suppliers but in other things as well, in GB who will just not send to N.I. Sometimes we are just a pariah

Zac at J Wood is worth a call. They're prices are good and sometimes have good deals. I once snagged a huge side that was about 2.5mm for £50 delivered.

https://www.jwoodleathers.co.uk/

2 hours ago, fredk said:

They were the only place who would send to N.I.

For me the answer to pretty much everything, including leather, is Buckleguy + DHL.   The only thing I get locally is kangaroo, glue and dye, simply because buckleguy doesn't ship liquids overseas and they don't have kangaroo, otherwise I'd get everything from them.  And it's not just because of Australian prices (which are typically double), it's mainly their websites that are pitiful, usually half the stuff they sell are not even online, and the other half will usually lack proper photos or proper descriptions or even a flag when they're out of stock.  And with Australia Post crapping itself because of COVID, I sometimes get my stuff faster from literally the other side of the planet than from the next city.

It's sad but it is what it is.  I import nearly everything I use.  Takes some planning but in the long run I'm much much better off.

And yes it did get ridiculous at some point when I needed a couple of snaps to finish a project, and I did pay $10 for the snaps and $50 for shipping, and I don't even care, it was still better than shopping from Australia.

Edited by Spyros

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

Since I am from across the pond, I haven't a clue.  Why is this?

I cannot give you an answer.

They just will not send to N.I. They have their reasons. I've got used to it

I'll not go into it too much, just one recent example; I bought a plastic model thru ebay from a seller in England. The seller cancelled the sale - ' I don't send to your country'. We're the same bluddy country!

16 minutes ago, fredk said:

I cannot give you an answer.

They just will not send to N.I. They have their reasons. I've got used to it

I'll not go into it too much, just one recent example; I bought a plastic model thru ebay from a seller in England. The seller cancelled the sale - ' I don't send to your country'. We're the same bluddy country!

**** em.  Go to those who ship.

Edited by Spyros

umm, thats what I do

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I'm curious to know why that is?  Isn't N.I. part of the UK?

50 minutes ago, fredk said:

The seller cancelled the sale - ' I don't send to your country'. We're the same bluddy country!

LMAO.   Showing their level of intelligence.   Also, here in the good ol US of A, we have a lil state called... New Mexico.  I've lived there.  Folks wouldn't ship 46 miles across the state line or do any business with us because "its' a foreign country."  or "We don't take Pesos." erhm.... it's a state.  In the UNITED STATES!!!.. you can drive here without crossing a border ya know?  We used the dollar too.  But you couldn't convince em to to look at a map cuz they knew better.  Now I'm in Texas, :cowboy: so not so bad.  Course, sometimes when folks from out of state learn where I've been, they want to know if I speak Spanish.  :dunno:  :blink:

YinTx

2 hours ago, fredk said:

You can't be the only one in N. I. needing leather and related supplies. Have you tried contacting cobblers / upholstery shops / leather guilds etc. to see who they are getting their supplies from? Is it that they will not ship to Ireland whether it is Ireland or Northern Ireland? The reason I ask that is a lot of us in Ontario that live close to the US border before the pandemic had UPS boxes on the US side to save on shipping, get around the " we don't ship to Canada " or " you have to contact our Canadian distributor" usually at twice or more the price plus the cost of shipping.

kgg

For what its worth...I just tried to get a set of needle plates sent to NI through Australia Post. They will not take it. It will have to go via another courier. This is stupid beyond belief and adds a lot of extra cost into the equation. 

12 hours ago, fredk said:

I messaged the chat bot at Abbey who said they do ship to N.I. there are certain liquids they cant ship at the moment because of the extra training they need for this but also said they should have that in a few weeks hopefully so maybe contact them again, think because a lot of trade is done online they have to compete with a lot of others or maybe the peace agreement changed their policy who knows. So maybe give them a try again also i messaged Metropolitan Leather they have said they will ship to N.I. they stock Osborne, George Barnsley tools they have threads and edge stains, dyes, these days, they may also be an option for you good to work with also.

Please note that Abbey also said the minimum order to NI is the same as here in the GB and is £25.

Heres are links for Abbey and Metropolitan

https://www.abbeyengland.com

https://www.metropolitanleather.com

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Thanks for finding all that out

4 hours ago, fredk said:

Thanks for finding all that out

No worries still hoping Le Prevo will still be around in one way or another.

yes, this line intrigues "This means that we will cease normal trading on 24th December."

18 hours ago, YinTx said:

they want to know if I speak Spanish

No one asked you about Hatch chilies?

47 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

No one asked you about Hatch chilies?

Outside of NM or Tx, I think most don't know Hatch Chile.  And in Tx, they want to spell it chili.  And somehow chile grown in the Rio Grande Valley gets sold as Hatch green Chile.  I can say it doesn't taste the same.  all very confusing to the outsider.  Who wants to know if they need a passport to visit.

YinTx

But lets hope it does not mean abby normal as Igor says in Young Frankenstein, sorry could not resist

Edited by jcuk

On 11/4/2021 at 9:41 PM, fredk said:

Here's a wee latest; For the last couple of years I've been buying dyes from a certain company in England with no problems. Just an hour ago they changed to ' we do not deliver to Northern Ireland'

If I feel like it I might contact them and ask why the change

In the rest of the UK we don't hear much about how the actual NI residents are effected by the border between the rest and NI and its easy to blame either the UK or and or EU governments for the problems, But as a outsider is Eire itself aiding to the problems or actually helping to reduce them. 

Eire has made things worse.

In the past goods were trucked from GB and Eu, through Holyhead to Dublin and up the road to N.I. But Eire introduced its own customs checks. A truck carrying an assortment of goods to M&S in N.I. needs, in triplicate, thats 3 copies, of customs forms of 300 pages each for each type of goods, ie boxes of chocolates, one set, ready-meals, one set et cetera. M&S says they employ 14 vets full time just to fill in the customs forms for goods to N.I. All foods need a vets clearance signed off.

Now a lot of these trucks go Liverpool - Belfast, but there is still a lot of customs paperwork. A lot of courier companies have given up and won't deliver here anymore. Just the big ones still do.

But even before this nonsense a lot of GB businesses would not post or courier to N.I.

I used to have a friend in Northants who would accept my parcels and post them on via RM / PF

Still hope insight, new message at the top of home page.

http://www.leprevo.co.uk

JCUK