BriarandThorne

Are all cheap strap cutters created equal?

One thing I can tell you pretty positively: don't buy the buckleguy one.  I've already emailed them, it's basically unusable.

Sorry should have said i have the Stockton one used it for thirty years paid for its self and then some. Funny enough i got from a Australian company while i was working in the middle east (STC) they don't carry it now just checked.

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

9 hours ago, tater1337 said:

and it looks like it could be improves a LOT more

lets see what cha got! I'm always up for a better mousetrap.

I bought one of the newer Bianchi strap cutters thinking it would be greatest thing. It. Was marginally better than my cheap tandy wooden one, but I wish I'd have bought another wooden one of higher quality. The pistol grip is not that ergonomic for me and you  cant adjust for thickness.

34 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

lets see what cha got! I'm always up for a better mousetrap.

I just started leatherworking a few weeks ago

gimme time

but yeah, strip cutters are a thing in other hobbies, and most look better than these...maybe even work better

1 hour ago, tater1337 said:

but yeah, strip cutters are a thing in other hobbies, and most look better than these...maybe even work better

Maybe, but I doubt it. There is a reason the design hasn't changed significantly in decades.

The biggest improvement I made to my cheap strap cutter is taking sand paper to all the sharp edges.  Leather glides through much nicer, and no more scratched/marked leather!  Just astonished at how little finishing work goes into products these days making them near unusable.

YinTx

12 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. There is a reason the design hasn't changed significantly in decades.

:17:a guy can can always make it more complicated heck maybe even figure out a way to tie to your i phone LOL. Make it so it needs an update weekly to run it. then quit providing service for those and sell em a new program and start all over again next year. 

1 minute ago, YinTx said:

The biggest improvement I made to my cheap strap cutter is taking sand paper to all the sharp edges.  Leather glides through much nicer, and no more scratched/marked leather!  Just astonished at how little finishing work goes into products these days making them near unusable.

YinTx

and sharpen the blade! finishing takes time more money and some more products that cost more to you. Of course you know that.  It cuts straps then gets thrown in a bin, box, or drawer how pretty does it need to be?

1 hour ago, tater1337 said:

I just started leatherworking a few weeks ago

gimme time

It doesn't take many more than about  ten hand cut straps before you realize how well it does work. lol

Ivan has the metal strap cutter on special for $20 and I ordered one.  Couldn't help myself, too shiny LOL

They have a $50 minimum order but they also sell Fiebings stuff that I needed so I thought I may as well.

I'll let you know what it's like when I get it

Edited by Spyros

So I received the metal one from Ivan and I love it.  It's actually hollow inside so it's much lighter than it looks.  Big screw locks it in place very positively, no worries about the wood giving way over time.  In the bottom it has a screw on cap which is handy to store spare blades.  The only thing I changed on it is I drilled a hole on that cap so I can pass a loop to hang it on my wall, that's it.  Other than that it looks and feels like it will last a few lifetimes.  

Only thing to remember if you're looking at this or the wooden Weaver/Ivan version, keep in mind the blade is actually quite small, this tool is aimed mainly towards medium and light weight leathers.  If you are frequently cutting heavy, tight grain leathers you will need something with a bigger blade or maybe a draw gauge or plough gauge.

Edited by Spyros

A few years back my brother in law found out I did leather work . . . and while we were in his shop he told me to look in that "bottom drawer".

There was an aluminum strap cutter . . . obviously old . . . often and well used . . . 

I had been using a razor knife and an aluminum ruler . . . and this new toy made my life so, so, so much easier cutting straps.

This is not the one . . . but it is a very good replication of it.

If you get one like this . . . get the blade that Tandy sells for it . . . it has a little handle on it that is always pointed down in the cutter . . . 

Keep that dude sharp . . .  watch your fingers . . . and you will love the results.

May God bless,

Dwight

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194196151453?hash=item2d36fe1c9d:g:i5IAAOSwpElgwDYe

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

A few years back my brother in law found out I did leather work . . . and while we were in his shop he told me to look in that "bottom drawer".

There was an aluminum strap cutter . . . obviously old . . . often and well used . . . 

I had been using a razor knife and an aluminum ruler . . . and this new toy made my life so, so, so much easier cutting straps.

This is not the one . . . but it is a very good replication of it.

If you get one like this . . . get the blade that Tandy sells for it . . . it has a little handle on it that is always pointed down in the cutter . . . 

Keep that dude sharp . . .  watch your fingers . . . and you will love the results.

May God bless,

Dwight

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194196151453?hash=item2d36fe1c9d:g:i5IAAOSwpElgwDYe

I have one of those but couldn't get on with it as you can tell by the dust. For a long time I've been using the second one and it quickly started to go wrong from the get go. The clamp thread pulled out very easily which is why the G clamp. I stuck with it because I rarely use a strap cutter. Both this one and the metal one are dangerous and the wooden one has bit me more times than I care to recall. I bought the second wooden one recently when I visited my leather supplier and although more expensive is a far better product. it's more positive and accurate and even cut  a 3/8 strip of 6mm foam with impunity and it will never bite me because the blade is enclosed.

P1010852.JPG

P1010851.JPG

P1010853.JPG

I can see from the picture . . . one of the things you did wrong with the metal one.

The blade . . . 

For years I used razor blades from drywall knives . . . would take a pair of pliers . . . break them in half . . . use them till they got dull . . . get out a new one and break it.

Because of the angle of the sharpening process they use . . . it could easily wander off left or right . . . I had to stay on it hard and fast.

Saw a blade supposed to be made especially for these at Tandy's . . . wasn't much $$ so I bought it.  Had to spend some time getting it SHARP sharp . . . but when I did . . . AND . . . installed it with it's little handle pointing down . . .  I haven't had any trouble cutting straps since.

The blade has the angle cut only on one side . . . not both sides . . . and because of that . . . the angle tends to push the leather over towards the handle on the cutter . . . making it stay put. 

It looks like your blade is either sharpened on both sides . . . or you have it in upside down if only sharpened on one side.

May God bless,

Dwight