ToddW

do you know what brand clicker this is?

Just trying to get some comparative pricing.. Anyone know what brand this is?

Snip20220111_47.png

Had a look around  under different headings but no luck.  Home made or locally made perhaps? Is there anything on the orange label toward the back  ? 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

Thats not a leather working clicker. It a garage mechanics press adapted to be a clicker. Garage mechanics use them for pressing bearings into wheel hubs and such jobs. The lever has long since been replaced by a hydraulic ram or on some versions with an air-fed ram using air from a compressor

Fred,

The part under the added on clicker base appears to be curved.  Was this originally a brake shoe repair press?

God bless

Well, Googling that idea was a huge bust....  not a brake shoe repair press.

Edited by MikeRock

Without a clear photo, I think the curved part we see is just re-enforcement to the main base

as in this one

220px-40-ton-shop-press.jpg

This is what I believe it to be, but this one uses a hydraulic bottle jack

s-l300.jpg

I dont know what it was.  Its listed as a clicker press with a hand full of die's for around $800.  I don;t need the dies and could not find anything like it for price comparison.  Not sure if its worth $800 for a press like this but thought I would ask.  I am wanting a clicker press for wallets and such and this looked like it might work.

I asked about the orange label so waiting on that response.  Here are some different pics that has better view from the side

Snip20220112_49.jpg

Snip20220112_50.jpg

Any idea what the orange tag says?

You can make a pretty nice clicker for under $200 using a press from Harbor freight.    This is a video from Attack Line Leather and he did a pretty good job.  I'm planning on this later this year, maybe.

It could have been improvised from metal shears.

It could have been for any number of bending ,pressing or light stamping applications in just about any thing from tin and light metal to leather and it still can be lol.

12 hours ago, fredk said:

Thats not a leather working clicker. It a garage mechanics press adapted to be a clicker. Garage mechanics use them for pressing bearings into wheel hubs and such jobs. The lever has long since been replaced by a hydraulic ram or on some versions with an air-fed ram using air from a compressor

It's a leatherworking clicker now :)

Actually I don't think it was a press of any kind prior. likely like the member above said possibly modified from shears.

If it were a clicker or press, it would have had a substantial Table of some kind under the pad.  It has what appear to be some bolt on angle iron pieces that look to not be part of the original design.

Edited by Cumberland Highpower

If you dont need the dies i deffently wouldnt pay 800 just for that press regardless of what it once was or has been made into. Like has been said for roughly 200 bucks you can get a hydraulic style press from harbor freight  or several other stores. Northern tool has there 12 ton shop press for 180 bucks with free shipping to lower 48. Now depending on what kinda dies are with that press they could be worth quite a bit. Just my 2 cents.

their die's are Hearts and such and I do wallets..  Not thinking I will be cutting out hearts and ear rings...

Sort of looks like an old paving stone splitter I think.

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Sort of looks like an old paving stone splitter I think.

You likely nailed it.

24 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

You likely nailed it.

:17:

Yes!!  Slate too.

Thank you.

God bless

yep.. leaning towards that is it.. Trying to see if the one I am looking at is worth $800.  Comparing it to the new ones are in the $1,600 range for a clicker but struggle whether I want a home built one compared to a comercial one.  I can clearly build one from a shop press at a few hundred bucks.  My real issue with the shop press is how slow it would be and how much space it would take up.  This one feels a bit quicker than a shop press but take up a lot of space so incremental better than a shop press.  My preference is the mighty wonder but they run $1600 - $3400..  Once you get up to the $3400 range, a glowforge starts looking attractive.

I don't think you're going to get the tonnage pressure you'd need out of this one we've discussing.

I have a Tandy press, 1.25 ton pressure. I can cut thru 2 - 2.5mm leather ok, but I've not tried any thicker. I think this one will be only a bit greater

I think you should go for a converted press which uses a hydraulic jack

Just heard from the seller and she said the orange label reads Chandler sales out of New York. Specialty machines.  I found a Chandler & Price that makes presses but can't find anything else

The press is likely of 1950's vintage or older, so you are unlikely to find any useful info on their present site even if they are the same company as the one that had originally sold it.

What are you trying to find out? The force can be calculated from the ratio of the levers, and the tensile strength of cast iron is a known value, so you can look up in online calculators how many tonnes it can deliver and survive. It's not worth $800. I can tell you that just by looking at the picture because even if you take it off its base the curved bottom frame will stick out below the mounting surfaces and prevent you from putting it on your bench unless you cut an opening for it or improvise additional legs. This is becoming too involved and technical versus buying a real press. Besides that the holes that the previous owner drilled into the frame, to attach the angles, weakened its frame and reduced the maximum force.

Edited by DrmCa

well.. I guess that is what I was looking for.. Its a pass.. I also thought $800 was way to much but they are clearly putting a lot of the value in the die's they have which I don't need.  I did find a shop press already modified with plate steel and cutting board for $300.  I have a shop press but don't have a welder anymore.  thinking I could use that and order up some steel plates and cutting board but came across this one already done.  I'm thinking the shop press with cutting board at $300 is a better deal..

press.jpg