MtlBiker

John James Harness Needles

Consider this a public service announcement... :)

I'm in Canada and have been searching for a source for these needles and the frustration I ran into was that even for as little as one pack of 25 needles at $10-15 US, the shipping to Canada was $30-35 US.  I searched for a Canadian supplier and ran into the same issue...  Only then it was 10 needles at $15, but again plus about $30 shipping.  (I mean, gee, can't they just stick it into an envelope and charge a couple of bucks?)  I found several sources and all charged crazy prices for shipping, even within Canada.  Tandy Canada has an unknown brand of harness needles but they are out of stock of two of the three sizes they carry, and only have the largest size left. 

So just by chance in my searching, I ended up on the John James website in ENGLAND.  Believe it or not, first of all they don't have a minimum order, but get this, I was able to order a pack of 25 needles of EACH of the 7 sizes they offer (I didn't know what size(s) I might need) and INCLUDING SHIPPING to Canada, I paid a total of 16 British Pounds (under $28 Canadian or $22 US)!!!!!!!  For everything.  That's less than the shipping alone from any supplier I could find in North America.

So, before buying these needles anywhere else, check with the horse's mouth and go directly to John James.

That's great!  I was starting think that one of us would have to send you some.

Good to hear, me thinks it could be a benefit of Brexit this might not have been the case before, think Canada have signed some kind of trade agreement with the UK but i could be wrong.  

Edited by jcuk

1 hour ago, Gulrok said:

https://www.jjneedles.com/loose-and-bulk-needles/loose-needles/saddlers-harness-needles-bulk-1.html

Holy... I may be purchasing enough needles to last the rest of my career.

You can buy envelopes of just 25 needles as I did... https://www.jjneedles.com/loose-and-bulk-needles/envelopes/saddlers-harness-needles-3.html£

£1.47 for 25 needles.... that's US$1.99 at current exchange rates.  Even 25 needles, I'm told, would last years!

Different story for me.  Needles 317(I can't find the BPS sign on my keyboard.).  Shipping 49.99.  But, I can order from RMLS.

18 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

. . .  Even 25 needles, I'm told, would last years!

Too right they do. Over 21 years I've only lost a few needles at outside events. 

Here's what they are talking about.......my oh my.......   just above this was a price of 42.30 L......but that was for 1,000 needles!!!

You may also like
£1.47
(Ex. VAT)
£4.13
(Ex. VAT)
£133.79
(Ex. VAT)
£1.42
(Ex. VAT)
£1.09
(Ex. VAT)
£5.60
(Ex. VAT)

58 minutes ago, fredk said:

Too right they do. Over 21 years I've only lost a few needles at outside events. 

I always wonder when people say they break needles.  I'm still working with some I've had for 5 years and use regularly.  

The eye will break if they aren't pulled straight through. It is the weakest part.

Th

1 hour ago, MikeRock said:

Here's what they are talking about.......my oh my.......   just above this was a price of 42.30 L......but that was for 1,000 needles!!!

You may also like

Thanks for the help.  I see what I was doing wrong.

i've broken a Tandy needle at the eye, but they are much too large and yet flimsy.  I've never broken a John James needle .. or at least not yet.

- Bill