DaveP

How to stop this from happening?

This is my first wallet ever made (December 2021). I've been carrying it ever since...about a month and a half. The interior ...all I put on the inside of cover was Neets foot oil. The brass zipper and slide are leaving marks on the inside of cover. What would you use to stop it? This is veg tanned leather. Also, marks on zippered pocket from opening by left snap. If I made another I'd probably use chrome tanned already died. Is there a advantage or disadvantage to that?

Thanks again

Wallet 1.jpg

Wallet 12.jpg

Edited by DaveP
correction

8 minutes ago, DaveP said:

This is my first wallet ever made (December 2021). I've been carrying it ever since...about a month and a half. The interior ...all I put on the inside of cover was Neets foot oil. The brass zipper and slide are leaving marks on the inside of cover. What would you use to stop it? This is veg tanned leather. Also, marks on zippered pocket from opening by left snap. If I made another I'd probably use chrome tanned already died. Is there a advantage or disadvantage to that?

Thanks again

Wallet 1.jpg

Wallet 12.jpg

i would leave out the zipper or chalk it up to natural wear. its going to mark anything after you set on it a couple months. its a nice wallet I don't see the problem  a liner would look better but add thickness also maybe just dyed and finished on the inside flap..

Maybe try swapping it with a plastic zip that may help.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

You could make a wet moulded piece of leather about 10mm bent in the middle as a 90 deg corner and attach along the inside just above the zip so it held the zip away from the top. the wet mould would stiffen that part

Sewing the zipper flat, in the face of the pocket will minimize it, but nothing I can think of will eliminate it.

That looks like a large zipper. when I put a zippered pocket inside a wallet I use a standard 6 inch "jeans " zipper from the fabric store. they are much smaller but strong enough to do the job with minimal marking. anytime you have metal verses leather the leather will take some marking.

Maybe remove the metal pull and tie some leather lace in its place as a pull.

Thanks for the replies.  Next time I think I'll dye the entire piece.  Maybe some 50/50 resolene.  We'll see. 

Thanks again 

Looks great for your first wallet, though