OldCanuck

Tool pouch: basketweave

I was gonna wait until this panel of the pouch was all finished but I'm so tickled, pleased, and gruntled with how well the basketweave turned out, that I had to post this picture tonight. It ain't perfect, but I like the way it looks. What do you think? Should the border stamp go all the way around the frame? Even around the scrolls and the tips of the small leaves?

You can see that I'm still having trouble with my scrolls. I did the one on the right first, and everything was okay until I went a little Edward Scissorhands with the, um, "decorative" cuts. I pretty well mangled it. Too bad you can't erase boo-boos on leather. But I learned my lesson, and used a much lighter touch with the one on the left.

basketweave.thumb.jpg.cd13f6ff5efc070ed41a41cd54e27197.jpg

hello friend.   I totally get what you're saying about your excitement of your work.  I'm the same way, especially when I put in alot of work after my day job.  Such a stress reliever. 

I don't know what you mean by 'frame'.  Around the complete edge of the piece?  My opinion only:  I would say yes, it needs something.   A better picture of the whole project would be more helpful, though.  

Keep it up!  Lots of fun, for sure!

8 hours ago, JayEhl said:

hello friend.   I totally get what you're saying about your excitement of your work.  I'm the same way, especially when I put in alot of work after my day job.  Such a stress reliever. 

I don't know what you mean by 'frame'.  Around the complete edge of the piece?  My opinion only:  I would say yes, it needs something.   A better picture of the whole project would be more helpful, though.  

Keep it up!  Lots of fun, for sure!

@JayEhl, thanks for your feedback and your advice.

By 'frame', I meant the two oval parts with the basketweave inside them. Typically, the entire basketweave frame gets that border stamp treatment (the one that looks like a fancier camouflage tool). This time, I was unsure about using it around the tips of the small leaves and around the scrolls -- I was worried it would clutter the frame and diminish the visual effect of the leaves and scrolls.

As for the whole piece, yes, I'm going to go old-fashioned and do double-loop lacing around the whole thing. 1/8 inch dark brown calfskin. Here's a earlier photo of the entire piece. Still a work in progress.

20220205_155954.jpg

Okay I understand now.   With the vines coming down at the top I would leave it, but that's just me.  You're flower tooling looks great, just keep practicing your s curves (like I'm one to talk!).  For me, Alden leather school on  youtube has a great video on practicing scrolls and such.  I practiced using his stuff but there's lots of other great videos out there if you just google the youtube.    :rockon:

@JayEhl Thanks for the pointers!

I can see why you are excited to share.  That's some beautiful work.

Nice work. And I agree with JayEhl, I don't think you want to border around the scrolls. One other thing I will mention, I would have run the basketweave in opposite directions. It's not a big thing, just my personal take. That is a pretty ambitious project.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:23 AM, tsunkasapa said:

Nice work. And I agree with JayEhl, I don't think you want to border around the scrolls. One other thing I will mention, I would have run the basketweave in opposite directions. It's not a big thing, just my personal take. That is a pretty ambitious project.

Thanks for the advice. That's what I wanted to hear. 

On 2/10/2022 at 12:23 AM, tsunkasapa said:

I would have run the basketweave in opposite directions

I do that when I'm lacing m/c tank covers . Looking from above, the lacing forms an imaginary ' \ / ' shape, not / /  , if that makes sense. 

@OldCanuck You done a great job so far. Basket weave  of any sort can be quite challenging, but you managed that quite well  :)

HS

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I do that when I'm lacing m/c tank covers . Looking from above, the lacing forms an imaginary ' \ / ' shape, not / /  , if that makes sense. 

@OldCanuck You done a great job so far. Basket weave  of any sort can be quite challenging, but you managed that quite well  :)

HS

That makes sense. Thank you!