We should start two threads

1. for our food

2. for photos of our places

1 hour ago, fredk said:

We should start two threads

1. for our food

2. for photos of our places

:16:I'm the worst.

sometimes after those walks one of our favorite breakfasts is scrapple, fried in butter. its a cooked corn mush with pork bits and or liver seasoned to taste . Its boiled before hand then cooled in pans and makes loaves you cut into slices and cook. it tastes alot better than it sounds lol.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

I love a good hot cup of coffe in the early morning while watering the garden. Heres a couple of pics of the country during our morning walks they are old pics, this year i'lll shoot some of our spring flowers for all to enjoy lol. Walk a mile a day and youl feel ok!!

walk1.JPG

walk2.JPG

walk3.JPG

Lovely views.  very open.  that is something i am not used to.  I am surrounded by trees

my_street.png

pond_001.png

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

:16:I'm the worst.

No, this is the wurst

grilled-sausage-isolated-on-white-260nw-

2 hours ago, fredk said:

No, this is the wurst

grilled-sausage-isolated-on-white-260nw-

:rofl::thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

miss bayou.jpg

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

Lovely views.  very open.  that is something i am not used to.  I am surrounded by trees

my_street.png

pond_001.png

dang what a pretty place to live!!!

Here's part of the harbour in my town, on a nice spring afternoon last week, at low tide. The orange and blue boat is the local deep-water RNLI Lifeboat

Donaghadee March 2022, 03LW.jpg

If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll take more photos to show youse

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Here's part of the harbour in my town, on a nice spring afternoon last week, at low tide. The orange and blue boat is the local deep-water RNLI Lifeboat

Donaghadee March 2022, 03LW.jpg

If the weather is decent tomorrow I'll take more photos to show youse

That is beautiful Fred!! Things i will never see in person! 

Beautiful view Fred,  Is the crabbing any good off of that pier?  

Ireland it mystical to me.  I do not know why, just is. 

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

dang what a pretty place to live!!!

This is down the road, it is called the low water cut off bridge.  on a hot summer day we set our lawn chairs in the water and sit  or float around

low water.jpg

On 4/5/2022 at 9:37 PM, chuck123wapati said:

God bless you for taking such good care of your father.

Thank you  :).  Maybe one day , when I get to his age, I may need a little help myself.  He hasn't got much around his waist line , but he does have a  quite a good appetite .  Thats a good thing.  Loves a good casserole, stews ,  home made soups etc. curries (mild)  and a BBQ  roast dinner  . 

Yeh,we have *brand name* ' cuppa soups' . My fave is ' Dutch curry with rice' . I put a little extra curry powder in mine to give it an extra kick. Just ideal in Winter and at markets.  I also love pot/cup noodles in Winter.  I lived on those in my camping days .  Once again, .... add a little curry powder  'nom nom ', that and damper ( bush bread ) .

HS 

On 4/5/2022 at 5:50 PM, Frodo said:

This is down the road, it is called the low water cut off bridge.  on a hot summer day we set our lawn chairs in the water and sit  or float around

low water.jpg

man i could set there all day!

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Thank you  :).  Maybe one day , when I get to his age, I may need a little help myself.  He hasn't got much around his waist line , but he does have a  quite a good appetite .  Thats a good thing.  Loves a good casserole, stews ,  home made soups etc. curries (mild)  and a BBQ  roast dinner  . 

Yeh,we have *brand name* ' cuppa soups' . My fave is ' Dutch curry with rice' . I put a little extra curry powder in mine to give it an extra kick. Just ideal in Winter and at markets.  I also love pot/cup noodles in Winter.  I lived on those in my camping days .  Once again, .... add a little curry powder  'nom nom ', that and damper ( bush bread ) .

HS 

I've never ate curry I may have to buy some, i'm taking it is a spicy spice? I love spicy foods most around here are through chili peppers of various types. There is a large hispanic population here so that's where our hot spicy foods comes from. I, ve spent many a day trying to get recipes out of my older hispanic friends.

oh and of course my horse radish garden lol. 

If you like chilli dishes you'll like curry. Altho its a hot spice it is different. I hate chilli but I'll eat curry

Theres so many types of curry powder &  pastes of different spice levels etc. .  I like a nice vindaloo , a  Rogan Josh or a madras   which can quite spicy, but Mum & Dad can't  handle the spicy stuff, so I do  mild curries.   Winter  in Oz will be here in  few months , so no doubt I'll be doing nice slow cook beef & lamb & chook curries. 

@chuck123wapati Curries are very aromatic and go well with nann bread and papadums  , break them up, and use each broken piece as a little crunchy spoon .And just as Fredk said, if you like chilli dishes, you'll like curries. Make them as mild or as hot you wish. 

HS

curry powder.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Theres so many types of curry powder &  pastes of different spice levels etc. .  I like a nice vindaloo , a  Rogan Josh or a madras   which can quite spicy, but Mum & Dad can't  handle the spicy stuff, so I do  mild curries.   Winter  in Oz will be here in  few months , so no doubt I'll be doing nice slow cook beef & lamb & chook curries. 

@chuck123wapati Curries are very aromatic and go well with nann bread and papadums  , break them up, and use each broken piece as a little crunchy spoon .And just as Fredk said, if you like chilli dishes, you'll like curries. Make them as mild or as hot you wish. 

HS

curry powder.jpg

curry ,nann bread and papadums hmmm Sounds like another tasty adventure is coming my way. 

ahh just googled those. Flat bread and crunchy chips! I'm used to flour tortillas and corn chips LOL. sounds good to me!!!

Edited by chuck123wapati

I finally got to go into one of my other sheds this arvo. I have 3 sheds, all full of junk, crap.  But what I was after is a  ' Griswold No. 8 Waffle Iron' and a ' In-A-Minit ' vintage sandwich toaster, like the ones in the pics ( file pics) .  They've been in my shed for years . I've been watching all these restore vids on youtube, and that piqued my interest. 

I also found out that those old No. 8's are worth a pretty penny, some I've seen around $300-$450. The sandwich toaster around the $50-60 mark.  I was hoping to restore a ' Lister CS' engine once upon a time, and they were in amongst the engine parts.  I only paid a few hundred bucks for two CS engines . I lost interest, and sold them got my money back , but kept the No.8 & toaster. 

I'll try to restore them both in the next few weeks ...or six.   Simple to restore & season  too. 

HS

Griswold No.8 Waffle Iron.jpg

Inaminit Vintage Sandwich toaster.jpg

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I finally got to go into one of my other sheds this arvo. I have 3 sheds, all full of junk, crap.  But what I was after is a  ' Griswold No. 8 Waffle Iron' and a ' In-A-Minit ' vintage sandwich toaster, like the ones in the pics ( file pics) .  They've been in my shed for years . I've been watching all these restore vids on youtube, and that piqued my interest. 

I also found out that those old No. 8's are worth a pretty penny, some I've seen around $300-$450. The sandwich toaster around the $50-60 mark.  I was hoping to restore a ' Lister CS' engine once upon a time, and they were in amongst the engine parts.  I only paid a few hundred bucks for two CS engines . I lost interest, and sold them got my money back , but kept the No.8 & toaster. 

I'll try to restore them both in the next few weeks ...or six.   Simple to restore & season  too. 

HS

Griswold No.8 Waffle Iron.jpg

Inaminit Vintage Sandwich toaster.jpg

We use cast iron for most of our cooking. yup anything Griswold is worth some bucks, I have a Griswold No 8 tite top Dutch oven, Bought at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Its a little small for cooking for our family so i use it once in a while for deep frying. That waffle iron is a real beauty. I also have a couple of those toasters in my camper lol. They are great around the campfire.

Had home made burgers tonight, but I used the same ( mild)  taco mix I used before ...damn tasty ....mmmmm :) 

Wednesday....is..... curry night , woo hoo !!  Got some slow cook gravy beef today   ( aka chuck steak here in Oz....true.....pardon the pun) . Not sure what you call it over there?   It'll go in covered in the oven around midday, about 110 deg. c , , check  taste & stir and thicken sauce,  &  increase temp to 150 about 4.30pm and come out about 5.30pm  - ish  served with rice & papadums....of course, and a nice red   :) 

HS

Just started cleaning up the ol' #8 Griswold Waffle iron today. Its Good Friday in Oz, I'm not religious, but a good excuse to have a day off and do other things other than leather . 

I'll have before and after pics later. 

Happy Easter

HS

On 4/14/2022 at 10:47 PM, Handstitched said:

Just started cleaning up the ol' #8 Griswold Waffle iron today. Its Good Friday in Oz, I'm not religious, but a good excuse to have a day off and do other things other than leather . 

I'll have before and after pics later. 

Happy Easter

HS

sweet!!!! hope you had a good Easter as well. lol its a chuck roast or steak here too, tough suckers unless cooked right. I have to say i studied on the curry powder and got my curiosity up so I bought some curry powder the other day and just made a bacon, onion, and cheese  fritata???? with it. I used about a teaspoon of curry powder in it, everyone loved it!! That is some tasty spice mix.

You can teach an old dog new tricks but getting him to remember....

18 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

bacon, onion, and cheese  fritata

That sounds awesome :thumbsup: . 

There are  so many different types of curry  powder . Just to mention a few that I have , are: dukkah, madras, Malaysian , Vindaloo ....and so on.    You can also make your own to suit your individual tastes.  If you do just be careful with Turmeric   as it will stain  your kitchen counters, clothing etc.  maybe even leather)?)  Yet to try that. 

Glad you're enjoying new flavours.  And yes, chuck steak ( gravy beef)  is a toughy , slow  and steady, like brisket .  Maybe as Winter  starts to set in here in Oz, I may even try a simple  mild chilli dish . I don't mind a bit of extra spice, but I have to be careful with Mum & Dad stomachs  :)

The Griswold came up a treat . Just need to find the time to actually try it out.  This thing called life keeps happening. 

HS

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

That sounds awesome :thumbsup: . 

There are  so many different types of curry  powder . Just to mention a few that I have , are: dukkah, madras, Malaysian , Vindaloo ....and so on.    You can also make your own to suit your individual tastes.  If you do just be careful with Turmeric   as it will stain  your kitchen counters, clothing etc.  maybe even leather)?)  Yet to try that. 

Glad you're enjoying new flavours.  And yes, chuck steak ( gravy beef)  is a toughy , slow  and steady, like brisket .  Maybe as Winter  starts to set in here in Oz, I may even try a simple  mild chilli dish . I don't mind a bit of extra spice, but I have to be careful with Mum & Dad stomachs  :)

The Griswold came up a treat . Just need to find the time to actually try it out.  This thing called life keeps happening. 

HS

nice hot Belgium waffles strawberries and whipped cream sound good to me!!   i bought the store , kroger. brand it is about the only one here, it doesn't have all the spices names so I think I'll be testing out some homemade blends if i can find some on the net. its is a spicy blend which i really like but i cant reproduce it without all the info. if you can get Anaheim green chilis, they are very mild and make an excellent tasting mildly spicy green chili, i posted a recipe above somewhere.