here is a  fast and east tamale recipe

tamales.png.4da15040854458caf527721e33fb8c2d.png

And a bowl of green chili on the side. 

Pork 

hatch green chilis

an onion

a couple cloves of garlic.

chicken broth

Take your pork cut into bite size chunks flour,  salt and pepper. and start it frying in a pan

in your soup pot start your chicken broth going , can be water and  bouillion.

Chop up at least a cup of roasted greem chilis whatever heat range you like aneheims are the mildest. btw greenchilis and jalapenos are not the same thing dont use jalepenos

chop up the onion and garlic also throw it all in the pot and start it boiling. 

after your pork is browned well remove it from the pan and into the pot and make a roux, enough so that your chili is nice and thick and add it to the pot let it all cook together a while and enjoy. optional ingredients chili Beans, mixed vegtables, potatoes.

Roasting your chilis can be done over a fire on a grill, under a broiler or evn on top of a gas burner, the idea is to roast until the outer skin turns black then you put them in a plastic bag and let them sweat until cool the peeling will then come right off, dont use them raw or unpeeled. pull off the stem and remove the seeds also and chop them up..add about a cup let it cook in then taste for heat add more if you like more heat.

This recipe was told to me by an old hispanic friend may he rest in peace it comes from new mexico region where they grow alot of the chilis here Hatch green chilis are the best. it has no exact quantities you just put in what you think is a good portion , a typical butt roast will make about a gallon. Same with the garlic and onions the thickness of the stew is all up to you i have seen it made thin and watery and thick like a gravy, i prefer mine thickerer but not gravy thick.  I  also add such things as mixed veagtables, or chili beans, potaotes do well in it but dont tell ok thats a gringo thing lol.  

Next morning if there is any left you have huevos rancheros. Two nice fried eggs smothered in the green chili with a tortilla and sour cream.

the bigest thing to know about mexican cooking is that it is highly adaptable to ingredients, easy to make and always delicious. Its truely home cooking at its finest.

Edited by chuck123wapati

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Do you hunt them?

Some people do , but Roo is available at our supermarkets.  ' Roo burgers' & Kanga Banga's'  ( sausages)  are also available .  

Kangaroo tail soup is an Aussie   fave.  Hearty (but lean) broth  . 

Yeh, you're right about the grill, its well 'seasoned' . It get cleaned quite regularly , as I'm always doing marinated or satay  beef/lamb or chicken skewers . Thats messes up the grill a bit.  It must make my neighbors  jealous though, all these aromas wafting across.  Love cooking outdoors  :)

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Some people do , but Roo is available at our supermarkets.  ' Roo burgers' & Kanga Banga's'  ( sausages)  are also available .  

Kangaroo tail soup is an Aussie   fave.  Hearty (but lean) broth  . 

Yeh, you're right about the grill, its well 'seasoned' . It get cleaned quite regularly , as I'm always doing marinated or satay  beef/lamb or chicken skewers . Thats messes up the grill a bit.  It must make my neighbors  jealous though, all these aromas wafting across.  Love cooking outdoors  :)

Most wild meats are very lean and really good for you, but dry out quickly during cooking. A really good recipe to add some flavor and oils to the process i use on deer especially. Take your roo steak and tenderize it with a meat tenderizer/hammer looking thing and flatten it out good then roll it up with a piece of good smoked bacon, use toothpicks to keep it rolled up, the bacon should go length wise so it rolls around the outside as well as inside of the steak.. Flour ithe rolls then brown them off in a skillet. Place them in a baking pan and add a good mushroom soup, either canned or homemade and bake until tender. These are awesome make plenty of the gravy/soup and serve with some mashed spuds. Out side we make them in a dutch oven, brown them in the oven then add the soup.

Speaking of dutch ovens do you have any? The top of the line for outdoor cooking, you can bake, fry, boil, roast, or about any other cooking process with one over an open fire. 

17 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

dutch ovens

They're  known as ' camp ovens' here , all cast iron,  same diff. I don't have one,but they're easy to get in different sizes.   They can produce some of the best stews etc.   Light fire, dig hole, put in hole, put hot coals on top...and wait patiently   :) Can't be any easier than that . 

Thanks for the recipe idea, sounds morish . Bacon adds a nice smoke to the meat :yes:

HS 

I used to use an old metal biscuit box for my oven when I cooked fish at the beach after catching them

Dig hole, light fire in hole, scape out some of the fire, put biscuit tin into hole on top of fire, put rest of fire on top of box lid, then cover with sand. Hopefully, having remembered to put cleaned and gutted fish wrapped in aluminium foil inside of box, along with a few small taties and onions

Continue fishing, then remember dinner should be cooked then spend ages trying to remember just where you buried the tin oven, searching with a small battery flashlight which is about to go out - here sea fishing is done in darkness of twilight to dawn

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

They're  known as ' camp ovens' here , all cast iron,  same diff. I don't have one,but they're easy to get in different sizes.   They can produce some of the best stews etc.   Light fire, dig hole, put in hole, put hot coals on top...and wait patiently   :) Can't be any easier than that . 

Thanks for the recipe idea, sounds morish . Bacon adds a nice smoke to the meat :yes:

HS 

my dad had a complete set from 10" to 24" we still have them  and we used them all. Camping out and hunting as a family, the large 24 was the one we used to bury most often witha huge roast and all the fixins, potaoes carrots onions etc, man after being buried all day cooking when you pop the lid off the smell is out of this world after agood day in the country. THey are some of the best outdoor  cooking equipment there is. 

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I used to use an old metal biscuit box for my oven when I cooked fish at the beach after catching them

Dig hole, light fire in hole, scape out some of the fire, put biscuit tin into hole on top of fire, put rest of fire on top of box lid, then cover with sand. Hopefully, having remembered to put cleaned and gutted fish wrapped in aluminium foil inside of box, along with a few small taties and onions

Continue fishing, then remember dinner should be cooked then spend ages trying to remember just where you buried the tin oven, searching with a small battery flashlight which is about to go out - here sea fishing is done in darkness of twilight to dawn

that would be fun indeed. i have cooked alot of fish in tinfoil just wrapped and thrown into the hot coals. Just add a chunk of butter salt and pepper and your ready to eat in about ten minutes. same with spuds but they take longer to cook lol. Now i want to go fishing even more it was warm for a couple of days, woke up to an inch of fresh snow this morning. 

The girl next door brought home a guy from south America home one day said he was her new boyfriend he lived with her 3 or 4 months then one day she said can you get rid of the rabbits they were her pets he said sure she went shopping he killed the rabbits and cooked them up when she came home he asked her if she wanted some she thought him to be a savage she came to my house screaming crying in shock telling me what an animal he is when I told her rabbit is my favorite she was Devastated I just don't get people like that she  being a psychologist and all you would think well forget that.

On 3/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, Frodo said:

MMMMMM  home canned  bread and butter?    my FAVORITE

Mine to Mom made lots of them!

I am CRAVING some good bread-and-butter pickles right now... :thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, Samalan said:

The girl next door brought home a guy from south America home one day. . . 

A deviation off the main track

I used to live in a certain town. It had a bad problem with pigeons, aka flying rats. The town council called in a pest control company. As usual with small local governments, the time between deciding and doing took some months. Pest control came. Made a report to the council - basically 'What pigeon problem?' They counted only about 20 pigeons round the town.

In the earlier months about 100 Brazilian immigrants had arrived, to work in certain local factories. The pigeons were free dinners for them. As were all the fish in the numerous lakes and rivers around the area!

Some say red meat is bad for you...

NOT SO, green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

20 hours ago, Samalan said:

The girl next door brought home a guy from south America home one day said he was her new boyfriend he lived with her 3 or 4 months then one day she said can you get rid of the rabbits they were her pets he said sure she went shopping he killed the rabbits and cooked them up when she came home he asked her if she wanted some she thought him to be a savage she came to my house screaming crying in shock telling me what an animal he is when I told her rabbit is my favorite she was Devastated I just don't get people like that she  being a psychologist and all you would think well forget that.

lol my daughter raises rabbits, just butchered five. Some of the best eating meat available. She started at the age of 12 and it was made clear they were for eating. She doesn't liek to butcher but she has no problem eating them. I think every person should spend a year on a farm.

20 hours ago, Samalan said:

you should try my bread and butter jalapenos slices. Friggin awesome.

16 hours ago, Cattledude said:

Some say red meat is bad for you...

NOT SO, green fuzzy meat is bad for you!

:16::thumbsup:

19 hours ago, fredk said:

A deviation off the main track

I used to live in a certain town. It had a bad problem with pigeons, aka flying rats. The town council called in a pest control company. As usual with small local governments, the time between deciding and doing took some months. Pest control came. Made a report to the council - basically 'What pigeon problem?' They counted only about 20 pigeons round the town.

In the earlier months about 100 Brazilian immigrants had arrived, to work in certain local factories. The pigeons were free dinners for them. As were all the fish in the numerous lakes and rivers around the area!

we have an abundance of ring necked doves here, they are an invasive species so....... They are yummy.

This thread and today's date reminds me that I used to have a friend who bred rabbits for fun. He was an ex-submariner and had served during the UK-Argie Falklands War, which started 40 years ago today. Never called PTSD, he used to into his garden and pet and watch his rabbits whenever he was stressed out

31 minutes ago, fredk said:

This thread and today's date reminds me that I used to have a friend who bred rabbits for fun. He was an ex-submariner and had served during the UK-Argie Falklands War, which started 40 years ago today. Never called PTSD, he used to into his garden and pet and watch his rabbits whenever he was stressed out

After work I would put some of my chickens in the garden,  have a cigar and a glass of brandy then just sit and relax for an hour or so. The stress of being self employed . Beautiful Barred Rock chickens a very calm breed.

2 hours ago, Samalan said:

After work I would put some of my chickens in the garden,  have a cigar and a glass of brandy then just sit and relax for an hour or so. The stress of being self employed . Beautiful Barred Rock chickens a very calm breed.

What a great routine. man i love watching critters of every kind, go on a walk in the country every mornig sure puts a guy into the right frame of mind.

2 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

What a great routine. man i love watching critters of every kind, go on a walk in the country every mornig sure puts a guy into the right frame of mind.

Yes sir a lot of  how we think has a lot to do with what we see everyday and that's a conversation for another day LOL.

So if I say Gardenia who is the first person to pop into your head LOL,

On 4/2/2022 at 3:55 AM, fredk said:

I used to live in a certain town. It had a bad problem with pigeons

Here we have a problem with Corellas atm ,  not quite the same as ' cockies' ( cockatoos) . The first pic is my top paddock full of them .  They might fetch around the $2000- mark on the o/s black market, if thats the case there was  a million bucks  in my paddock. They are a pest , destructive, rip the shite out of the trees, sometimes cause power black outs etc....and they're  protected. go figure?   And the noise is deafening. I have ear plugs next to my bed. And  never look up when they fly over you.  The council hire licenced " removalists" if they get a lot of complaints. Right now, as I type, they making a bloody racket at the back of our house. 

But to stay on topic of food, , I have heard some of the oldies eating them in  the very early days. Making pies out of them .  Taste like chicken I guess .  I've heard of pigeon pies as well. 

HS

Cockies 003.jpg

Corella pic.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

12 hours ago, Samalan said:

So if I say Gardenia who is the first person to pop into your head LOL,

a gardenian,  they wear beautiful white hats in thier country.:) i have lilacs which will be blooming very soon as well as wild roses. i dug the wild rose years ago from the mountains close by. The smell of the two together in the early morn is unbelievable.

Those are some good thoughts Chuck cant say I've ever herd of a gardenian LOL are they from the Gardenieae tribe. Anyway this morning I made a wonderful French press

coffee  with toast butter and molasses that coffee aroma stayed all day. First name came to mind for me was Dion O' Banion .

Sticking to food... 

My ol' 91 year old Father with dementia can't quite get his hands to work with  hard  tacos, God bless him . So instead, I got those  soft  taco cups (?)  He's quite  good with those.  But the cup thingy's don't have anything to stand them up in as you fill them , so I use our coffee cups . Full of mince, vegies etc. ,   I fill the  taco cups with taco mix , cheese and so on , but there was a little left over taco mix, , not  quite enough to fill more taco cups, so I just put the remaining taco mix  directly in the coffee cups and we ate it with tea spoons.

Have I just invented a new trend here ? Eating out of a cup?   It seemed silly eating taco mix from a coffee cup, but we all bloody enjoyed it, so tasty.  We eat/drink soups out of cups ?  Who needs plates ??? 

HS

23 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Sticking to food... 

My ol' 91 year old Father with dementia can't quite get his hands to work with  hard  tacos, God bless him . So instead, I got those  soft  taco cups (?)  He's quite  good with those.  But the cup thingy's don't have anything to stand them up in as you fill them , so I use our coffee cups . Full of mince, vegies etc. ,   I fill the  taco cups with taco mix , cheese and so on , but there was a little left over taco mix, , not  quite enough to fill more taco cups, so I just put the remaining taco mix  directly in the coffee cups and we ate it with tea spoons.

Have I just invented a new trend here ? Eating out of a cup?   It seemed silly eating taco mix from a coffee cup, but we all bloody enjoyed it, so tasty.  We eat/drink soups out of cups ?  Who needs plates ??? 

HS

Over here there is a cup o soup sold in stores just add water and microwave. lol God bless you for taking such good care of your father.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, Samalan said:

Those are some good thoughts Chuck cant say I've ever herd of a gardenian LOL are they from the Gardenieae tribe. Anyway this morning I made a wonderful French press

coffee  with toast butter and molasses that coffee aroma stayed all day. First name came to mind for me was Dion O' Banion .

I love a good hot cup of coffe in the early morning while watering the garden. Heres a couple of pics of the country during our morning walks they are old pics, this year i'lll shoot some of our spring flowers for all to enjoy lol. Walk a mile a day and youl feel ok!!

walk1.JPG

walk2.JPG

walk3.JPG