fredk

Liquid Glue Spreader

In the UK we have a latex based glue called Copydex. It was famous for it smelling of fish, but sadly no longer

Its a very liquid glue. Not as runny as woodworkers PVA but almost. Each bottle of Copydex comes with a brush built into the inside of the screw off lid. But those brushes get bunged up and useless after a time.

I started looking for glue brushes in my local hardware and decorating stores. All searching was fruitless, the shop staff didn't even know what I was looking for. 

An on-line search found me glue brushes, but also this;

Silicone-Glue-Brush-178mm-7.jpg

A silicone glue brush. It costs about £10

It reminded of something else; a pastry brush. I bought one in a supermarket called ASDA for only £1.50

Silicon Pastry Brush, 01LWs.jpg

I tried it last night and it worked very well, but I think I'll trim the brush a bit shorter so they are a little stiffer.

Only real down side is this is too wide to fit into the Copydex bottle

I use acid brushes for contact cement or the latex they work fine, for hot hide glue I use an artist brush with a wood handle and more bristles .

I tried a silicon brush like the blue one in fredk's post. Using Barge cement, the brush only lasted a few days before I threw it out. It appeared that the solvents from the cement permeated the silicon to make it more flexible and the head would fall off the stick.

This is the brush I purchased.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OCEBD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hey those look pretty good for glue indeed. 

I save popsicle sticks for spreading glue... :lol:

I've been wanting these glue spreaders from Tandy Leather for over a couple of months now, but they're continuously showing as sold out.  I suspect they are just the right size for leather work and flexible enough to make spreading contact cement or Leather Weld very easy.  I've cut up a plastic container to make my own little spreader but I think these would be ideal...  $6.79 (Cdn) for a pack of 6.

Reusable Glue Spreaders 6 Pack

4 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I've been wanting these glue spreaders from Tandy Leather for over a couple of months now, but they're continuously showing as sold out.  I suspect they are just the right size for leather work and flexible enough to make spreading contact cement or Leather Weld very easy.  I've cut up a plastic container to make my own little spreader but I think these would be ideal...  $6.79 (Cdn) for a pack of 6.

Check Amazon.  They have them.  May not be Tandy but they are the same thing.

10 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

Check Amazon.  They have them.  May not be Tandy but they are the same thing.

I saw those on Amazon (Canada) and while they may look the same on the photos, I'm pretty sure that they are much larger (wider at the business end) than the ones Tandy has.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I emailed them today asking if they ever thought they'd be back in stock and the reply was that I'm in luck and that they have just arrived.  Their website still says sold out, but they do have them now.

(I thought I was wrong once... but I was mistaken.)

Cheers!

7 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Just got a bag of 6 of them yesterday from the Mississauga store 

I just received the glue spreaders (and other items) I ordered yesterday from Tandy.  I'm real happy with the spreader... it's just the right flexibility and the business end is only 1/2" wide... perfect for applying glue to narrow stitch edges.  The ones I'd seen on Amazon are quite a bit wider than this one, making them more suitable for applying glue to large areas.

IMG_0071.JPG

All the other options you lot have mentioned are good for certain purposes, but not very good for spreading thin liquid glue, especially over a large surface and especially doing it quickly

Yo guys, use a cheap brush or a cut up plastic bottle! Hell some folks even use plastic knives and spoons. 
I’ve been known to spread it on using rubber dish gloves and my fingers! 
STOP OVERTHINKING IT, you’re just making it more difficult on yourselves 

Liquid glue, squirt bottle. Glue has been coming in them for years.