Rossr

Nut pick? Now what?

Ok so these strike me as picks that are in with the metal nut crackers.  But obviously been modified.  So twice I've gotten these with other leather tool buyouts.  Were these some leather tool or were they homemade for maybe stitch ripping or or or?

Rose

20221012_090220.jpg

20221012_090212.jpg

20221012_090234.jpg

They do look like they started life as a nut pick.  Perhaps being used as tack pullers?

For eating really little pickles!

2 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Look like they were being used as edge bevelers

I thought about that. If they were they are to dull now.  But possible 

7 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

For eating really little pickles!

Lol Mike but only while doing leather work 

Edited by Rossr

44 minutes ago, YinTx said:

They do look like they started life as a nut pick.  Perhaps being used as tack pullers?

Seem awful small for that but possible 

The two with the brown handles which appear added came in the same group of tools.  Older tools too.  All the craftools were number only so 50's to 60's

26 minutes ago, Rossr said:

On one photo, I could see that it appeared to have been shaped and sharpened.  The rest I really couldn't see well enough to pass judgment on them.  They would work as well as some I have if they were sharpened, and maybe easier to maintain.

1 hour ago, Rossr said:
1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Look like they were being used as edge bevelers

I have a couple that look exactly like that. I think they started out as edge bevelers. I sharpened them up and they do work, but the skinny handles aren't very comfortable.

Lot of 2 Vintage steel HMQ spring style nut cracker and 4 pickshttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cD8AAOSwNeJfEEjK/s-l400.jpg

Flea Bay has a number of sets of nut cracker and picks.  There are also several mentions of 'seafood picks'...... and lobster crackers. We don't have a whole bunch of Lobsters in Wis, so I missed that one.

Here are two of many: 

•  

Edited by MikeRock
photos didn't appear

42 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

Lot of 2 Vintage steel HMQ spring style nut cracker and 4 pickshttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cD8AAOSwNeJfEEjK/s-l400.jpg

Flea Bay has a number of sets of nut cracker and picks.  There are also several mentions of 'seafood picks'...... and lobster crackers. We don't have a whole bunch of Lobsters in Wis, so I missed that one.

Here are two of many: 

•  

Well how about that!    Thanks Mike 

I think they also look like stitch cutters buy I don't know why you would need three of them.

9 hours ago, MikeRock said:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/cD8AAOSwNeJfEEjK/s-l400.jpg

My family used to have a set that looked exactly like those

The forks were 'pickle forks' , the straight un was for pickled onions and the nut crackers.

On of my older sisters used to torture me by using the nut crackers  on one of my fingers ; ~ 'do as I say or want or. . . . ' as she squeezed 

Back on topic; it does look like the pickle forks have been re-purposed to edge bevellers and/or for pulling out small tacks, like shoe sole tacks

8 hours ago, fredk said:

My family used to have a set that looked exactly like those

The forks were 'pickle forks' , the straight un was for pickled onions and the nut crackers.

On of my older sisters used to torture me by using the nut crackers  on one of my fingers ; ~ 'do as I say or want or. . . . ' as she squeezed 

Back on topic; it does look like the pickle forks have been re-purposed to edge bevellers and/or for pulling out small tacks, like shoe sole tacks

I'd say you, sir, are correct.

Thanks for all the thoughts folks.  It's interesting to see tools like this imo.   I suspect edge bevelers were the repurposed use here.   Folks were resourceful in using what they had before you could just buy what you needed or wanted.    Even stamps folks hand made before we had craftools etc.   Interesting