chuck123wapati

M1 Garand cheekpiece

Anybody have a pattern? If not i'm gonna be making one if i cant find one.

How soon would you like to have one there Chuck . . . ???

May God bless,

Dwight

38 minutes ago, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

soon as possible i need something to sew  today lol. I'm a lefty so i'll have to tweak it, hopefully i can make  it for both hands if i can. Thank you for taking the time!! 

On 1/14/2023 at 12:20 PM, Dwight said:

May God bless,

Dwight

thank you Dwight or the great instructions and pattern here's the result, a bit of your pattern and a bit of the military pattern and my weird brain rolled into one lol. Its ambidextrous but my new pattern can be either side.

firstsew4.JPG

firstsew5.JPG

firstsew7.JPG

Very nice. What is it stuffed with?

13 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Very nice. What is it stuffed with?

Thank you right now i have some 3/8th closed cell foam in them i have a set of pads made out of leather that Dwight showed me how to make but i'm not finished forming them. whats nice is i can change them out. 

The GI type used felt pads in thiers.

Looks good, thank you for sharing what it's stuffed with.

Looks good . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

On 1/14/2023 at 11:00 AM, chuck123wapati said:

Anybody have a pattern? If not i'm gonna be making one if i cant find one.

no, but the images of the reproductions they sell on-line are flat before they are wrapped.  That image is a good starting point.  

WWII US M1 GARAND SNIPER RIFLE BUTT STOCK CHEEK PAD BROWN - Picture 1 of 4

44 minutes ago, Littlef said:

no, but the images of the reproductions they sell on-line are flat before they are wrapped.  That image is a good starting point.  

WWII US M1 GARAND SNIPER RIFLE BUTT STOCK CHEEK PAD BROWN - Picture 1 of 4

yup did just that.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

yup did just that.

Actually . . . you didn't "yup" . . . so to speak.

The pattern I sent you was for shooting an M1, and M14 or an M1A (or many other rifles) with iron sights . . . or could be adapted to a scope . . . depending on the scope's height.

The cheek piece you made is from the pattern Littlef showed . . . and it was specifically created for the latter end of WW2 and the Korean war for our snipers who were using a scope on the M1 Garand.  The cheek piece was made not to get your face in line with the iron sights . . . but was meant specifically to offset your face so you could make out the image in the offset scope that was used on the Garand.

Just a little bit of history there.

My cheek piece looks like this . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

a cheek riser 1.JPG

cheek piece 5.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Chuck, is that a Trapdoor Springfield in the background? 

7 hours ago, Dwight said:

Actually . . . you didn't "yup" . . . so to speak.

The pattern I sent you was for shooting an M1, and M14 or an M1A (or many other rifles) with iron sights . . . or could be adapted to a scope . . . depending on the scope's height.

The cheek piece you made is from the pattern Littlef showed . . . and it was specifically created for the latter end of WW2 and the Korean war for our snipers who were using a scope on the M1 Garand.  The cheek piece was made not to get your face in line with the iron sights . . . but was meant specifically to offset your face so you could make out the image in the offset scope that was used on the Garand.

Just a little bit of history there.

My cheek piece looks like this . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

a cheek riser 1.JPG

cheek piece 5.jpg

what i did was use your pattern in conjunction with the gi pattern which i did trace from a flat photo on my monitor (yup)  to get my pieces . I do know the original was for a scope and the history of it but i built this for iron sights and it is much different in how it fits.  My pattern has the cheek piece higher on the stock , like yours, and is also thinner then the original. I also used your idea of formed leather inside.  I used the gi shape but it isn't the same at all it is just looks similar and seems a good idea so the pads can be adjusted for thickness.  i also lengthened it so it could use the sling loop to hold the rest in place, the originals were screwed to the butt. In essence it only resembles the GI model. But tracing an outline from a monitor only gives you a picture , no actual dimensions so that was the hard part actually getting the thing the right size and in the right place.

31 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Chuck, is that a Trapdoor Springfield in the background? 

yes it is  and a model 1891 Argentine Mauser. Gotta love old iron!!!!!

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

yes it is  and a model 1891 Argentine Mauser. Gotta love old iron!!!!!

Absolutely fine looking old Iron! Pad looks good too!        Ping....

Cheek cushion OMG such wussies:whistle: Back in the late 70's I shot the M1, No cheek pad, no scope,... Iron sights 1000yrd targets.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:34 PM, Bert03241 said:

Cheek cushion OMG such wussies:whistle: Back in the late 70's I shot the M1, No cheek pad, no scope,... Iron sights 1000yrd targets.

lol only because you were never issued one.;)

Seriously though your right it doesn't need one but the scoped version did because of the way the scope was mounted to prevent ejected shell casing hitting it. Mine is just because I can I really need one on my 54 cal bp.

Just messin with ya :crazy: