CJJ

Pampeano Belt - How to punch pattern for stitching?

I'm interested in making a hand stitched Argentinean style pampeano belt like the one from Zilker in the image below.  Here's a brief video of the process.

The other two images below show how they use a cutting die to punch the patterned slits for stitching.  Of course, I don't have one of these dies, or a press for that matter.  Any ideas how I might go about marking and punching a consistent pattern?  Even if I could mark the pattern consistently I'm thinking a simple cut from a craft knife wouldn't be wide enough for stitching.  Especially towards the middle of the pattern where there are two layers of thread.

Any bright ideas?  Also, any thought on what type of thread would be best for this project?  Flat, round, material etc...

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 1.08.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 1.05.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 1.04.58 PM.png

punch two holes of whatever size you need then cut between them with a knife to make your slots. or buy a slot punch if you can find one the right size.

I wouldn't wear one to a dog fight . . .  

May God bless,

Dwight

How about just getting a screwdriver the right width and just punch a pattern you like. 
It seems that thread is being used for the design,  so I would think that the punched spaces wouldn’t need to be very big.

As a thought to myself shared. I don’t think going over the edge of the belt would be good for the thread life.

It seems to me it would be a place to wear out and then the thread design would unravel.

Joel

My guess (!) for the thread would be waxed macramé thread - micro-macramé also comes from South America, as far as I know. But I figure waxed leather sewing thread will work as well, though there's probably fewer colours available. I figure waxed thread has a better chance of staying put while wrapping...

And now I really want to try this design  - on a bracelet, for starters?

I think I'd make a cardboard template and use @GrampaJoel's screwdriver idea...

Edited by Klara

5 hours ago, Klara said:

My guess (!) for the thread would be waxed macramé thread - micro-macramé also comes from South America, as far as I know. But I figure waxed leather sewing thread will work as well, though there's probably fewer colours available. I figure waxed thread has a better chance of staying put while wrapping...

And now I really want to try this design  - on a bracelet, for starters?

I think I'd make a cardboard template and use @GrampaJoel's screwdriver idea...

the problem with using something that doesn't remove some of the leather in the hole is it may not lay flat. worth a try though if you have an old screwdriver. 

Thanks for all the ideas.  I like the screwdriver idea.  Thinking a sharp woodworking chisel may work even better to create just a little more width with less effort.

Here's a pic of a quick test piece I did on some scrap to make sure I understood the stitching.  I didn't have the time to figure out a pattern yet so I used a wing divider to lay down some guidelines.  Not to bad in my opinion if you can ignore the guidelines and cheap materials.  to make these slits I used a craft knife with a square chisel style blade.

I agree that the threads may end up wearing over time but that doesn't really bother me.  That's the beauty of this hobby. You can always just make a new and improved version of anything you want.

IMG_1672.JPG

Well I for one would like to see your finished project when you get it done.

Living here in SOCAL,,, I occasionally see some work from south of the border that catches my eye, and I wonder how it was made.

have fun

Joel

16 hours ago, CJJ said:

That's the beauty of this hobby. You can always just make a new and improved version of anything you want.

So true! And your test piece is looking good!

Here's a step-by-step process to create a punched pattern for stitching on your Pampeano belt:

1. Determine the Pattern: Decide on the pattern you want to create with your stitching. Common patterns for Pampeano belts include geometric designs or traditional motifs. You can find inspiration from existing Pampeano designs or create your own unique pattern.

2. Measure and Mark: Use a ruler or measuring tape to measure and mark the desired spacing and alignment of your stitching holes. Ensure that the marks are evenly spaced and aligned along the length of the belt.

3. Punch the Holes: With the leather punch, align the desired hole size with each marked point and punch through the leather. Apply steady pressure to create clean and even holes. Repeat this process for all the marked points along the belt.

4. Check and Adjust: Once you have punched all the holes, check the spacing and alignment to ensure consistency. If needed, make any adjustments by adding or repositioning holes.

5. Stitching: After punching the holes, you can proceed with stitching your Pampeano belt. Use a waxed thread or strong nylon thread and a leather needle to sew through the punched holes, following your desired stitching pattern. There are various stitching techniques you can use, such as saddle stitching or whip stitching, depending on the look you want to achieve.

Here are some pics of my first finished projects with this type of technique.  It's definitely not a fast process but I'm happy with the results.  The first is a tote bag I was already making for my wife, which is actually my first time making a bag of any sort.  I thought the straps would be a good chance to test out the process.  Next I made a belt for myself with a different pattern.  On the belt I decided to try a pattern that doesn't wrap around the outside edges, thinking maybe it would be less likely to fray over time.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

If anyone is interested, this is the process I used...

I liked the screwdriver idea from  but thought I might need something a little sharper.  I found this set of straight punches on Amazon for around $15. 

Then I made a pattern on my computer with dimensions I knew would work with the punches.  Printed that on card stock but thought I would need something sturdier so I transferred it to some framing mat board I picked up at Hobby Lobby.  Cut that out and used thumbtacks to pin it to the belt in places where I knew I would be stitching over. 

Then marked the design with an awl and came behind with an x-acto and ruler to make sure I had straight and consistent grooves to set the punches in.  Here's a shot of the punched belt before stitching and a progress stitching shot.

Then punched the holes and started stitching.  I used 1mm Vinymo MBT thread on the belt and think it worked well.  I used a thinner thread on the bag handles thinking it might look a little more delicate and appropriate for that project.  As you might imagine though the thinner the thread the more stitching required.

615KhU1FOpL._SL1001_.jpg

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

that came out great!

Nice stuff but probably way too tedious for me!

5 hours ago, CJJ said:

Here are some pics of my first finished projects with this type of technique.  It's definitely not a fast process but I'm happy with the results.  The first is a tote bag I was already making for my wife, which is actually my first time making a bag of any sort.  I thought the straps would be a good chance to test out the process.  Next I made a belt for myself with a different pattern.  On the belt I decided to try a pattern that doesn't wrap around the outside edges, thinking maybe it would be less likely to fray over time.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_1779.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

You are a star! :rockon:

Move to the front of the line!

I would suggest removing those double sided screws that hold the handles and go with a good quality of rivet.

or better yet hide the holes and stitch the handles on.

I think the belt came out great!
Wear it with pride.

nice job!

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

Really beautiful!  And the way the patterns are designed I don't think there's much risk of abrasion on the threads (though please keep us posted over the years). I am a bit afraid for the colour, though. If those were my things the white would not stay white for long (so I wouldn't replace the screws by rivets... Much easier to just surprise your wife with new handles some day. 

Actually, different handles might be a nice idea even if the white does not get dirty...

thanks everyone!

The chicago screws I used for the handles were meant to be temporary.  I'm going to make her an interior pocket but ran out of the natural buttero leather I was working with. I'll either need to get more or figure out another material to use that wont take away from the simple aesthetics of the bag.  I wanted her to be able to use it in the meantime.  I'll likely use the same rivets eventually that I used for the exterior pockets but I do like the idea of being able to swap handles out.  Maybe a slightly smaller and subdued screw would be a good idea.

I've definitely been wearing the belt with pride.  Really happy with how it came out and have gotten a lot of compliments.

That's cool.  Good job working out the process.  The final product looks great!

Wanted to share this belt I made for a friend.  tried out a new pattern and used the colors from his company logo so hopefully he'll be able to get a lot of wear out of it. 

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG