ToddW

Quick Question...

I have just finished up my website with all the photography of my products.. the products themself has been a lot of tweaking in itself.. Is is it ok here to get feedback on the website and products or is that considered advertising.. I don't have inventory built up so really advertising but wanted to get some feedback as I am just a guy doing all the above.. website, photography, leather work, design work, etc..

7 minutes ago, ToddW said:

I have just finished up my website with all the photography of my products.. the products themself has been a lot of tweaking in itself.. Is is it ok here to get feedback on the website and products or is that considered advertising.. I don't have inventory built up so really advertising but wanted to get some feedback as I am just a guy doing all the above.. website, photography, leather work, design work, etc..

other people have, usually if its in the wrong place then the mods just move it to the right place. Lets see your stuff!

42 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

other people have, usually if its in the wrong place then the mods just move it to the right place. Lets see your stuff!

is that here?  I don't see a group where I could do something like this..

56 minutes ago, ToddW said:

Welcome to the club . . .  don't feel alone . . . if it weren't for my Samsung Galaxy and Adobe Photoshop Works . . . my website would be a few words and that's it.

Mine is very generic . . . dwightsgunleather.com . . . you are welcome to take a look at it.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 minutes ago, ToddW said:

is that here?  I don't see a group where I could do something like this..

i know they allow videos in the show off section don't know why yours wouldn't be ok. or maybe in the critic section if you want more input. 

link?

There is a leathers business here in North Carolina that I don’t see much advertisement for, but they have a full blown warehouse. I have a smaller business that it’s operating mainly from a 20x16 shed plus I’m set up at a flea market. I use this site to gain bits of knowledge and a bonus was that I found guys that made items that fit on my CB4500 (441 clone) and some of the folks rock 

Edited by Doc Reaper
Biden was bothering kids

52 minutes ago, ToddW said:

Most here are nice!  I noticed a typo that showed up on two pages, same mistake.  It is in the sentence where you say you don't use zippers.  You say "uses" zippers, should be use zippers.

May seem like a small thing, but it drives some folks nuts to see typos on a web page.  Also, the sentence in the verbiage under the "About Us" tab, where it says "No catchy or nasty surprises" doesn't really make sense and I wonder whether you need to even bring up "nasty surprises".  Did you mean no "catches"?  Otherwise it seems to refer to catchy surprises and I don't think that is what you wanted to say.  Stay positive.  That's the best bet, in my book.

I also noticed a page where a link took me to the wrong page.  If you click on the "Latitude" bag, under categories it says "Computer Bags, New Arrival".  Clicking on "Computer Bags" takes me to the "Custom" page.  Clicking on "New Arrival" also takes me to the "Custom" page.  People get frustrated when something unexpected happens like that.

Your photos appear to be very nice.  I think the overall appearance of the site is good.  Stuff is easy to read, and that is appreciated.  

Another thing I noticed is when you click on "Shop" in the header of the site it doesn't take you to the store, but shows two possible links, "Cart" and "Checkout", is that what you intended?  To me it should take you to the store.

Good luck with your venture!

I'm going to say the shop isn't very navigable. Not that I could do better but there's not much to see there.

Then when I click on a product, it takes me to a product page but there's no product description at all. Maybe you're still filling in the blanks.

Screenshot from 2023-07-18 18-36-11.png

Screenshot from 2023-07-18 18-36-56.png

Screenshot from 2023-07-18 18-37-16.png

i see 14 pages of products most with drawings, at 300 bucks a purse i would need to see actual photos.

Are you intending to make that many products? That seems like a lot for a small business. is it for a small business?

I saw some typos also no big deal to change

Its a good start!!! I'll peruse it a bit more tomorrow.

The main thing I found . . . and it will be a deal killer to a large number of people . . . 

Your pictures are way, way, too big as far as megabytes are concerned.  It took well over a minute for the first page to load . . . 

That first page picture should not be over 500KB . . . and my guess it is 10 or 12 megs.  It should load in not over 10 seconds.

People will not generally sit and wait for pictures to populate on a website they are going to for the first time . . . especially if it us just another "unknown" site.

A 500 KB  picture will give all the detail anyone needs to determine if they are going to do business with you.

May God bless,

Dwight

"Your pictures are way, way, too big as far as megabytes are concerned.  It took well over a minute for the first page to load . . .  "

This, right here ^^^^

Not everyone has super fast internet, if it takes too long to load, they lose interest and close the page (i did). Optimize your pictures down to kbs, not mbs.. the main page should only take a few seconds to load, not minutes - even for those with slow internet connections

Product descriptions are essential.. I want to know details like dimensions, and anything else you can add to tell me more about the product.

and your comments about zippers - nothing wrong with zippers IF you use quality products and they are installed correctly. Cheap zippers do break fairly easily, quality ones dont.

i used your search and just came up with wallet off the top of my head, it brought up a nice wallet but it said in big letters "Hand tooled' It is clearly a stamped impression on the wallet you can even see the edge of the stamp impression. Don't lie about your products some folks know better.

I've looked at your page for about 30 minutes and my gut is telling me your products are mass produced. there are just to many products for a small company to make and they are not custom by any stretch. they appear to be mass produced with your brand stamped on.  Obviously i may not be right but that is what i feel when i go to your store. I wouldn't buy from it, if my assessment isn't true you need to change a lot.

As others have stated the download speed is appalling due to size of images, you have about 10-15 seconds to get someone's attention before they skip to next site

The site looks very basic, you really need a expert to give some advise on layout, for instance the "shop" link does not show your products, don't forget marketing it cost money but brings in high rewards if done correctly, a web site can take years to sell one item if nobody can find your site, 5 to 10% of your turnover would be a good price to spend on marketing in the early years. Nothing is cheap that gets good results

The one thing that can sell your products is the full set of images inside and outside views, and description, who made it, where it was made, how it was made, who was the cows name(kidding) you are selling to people who cannot feel or really see the quality, description is their only guide to help them buy

Edited by chrisash

I wonder why you guys are seeing such slow downloads ...?  I disabled my javascript blocker and flushed my cache. Reloaded the page fresh (CTL-F5) and counted down 13 seconds till the whirly gizmo stopped turning.

I use a modified hosts file that blocks a lot of needless crap, so maybe that's the difference.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i used your search and just came up with wallet off the top of my head, it brought up a nice wallet but it said in big letters "Hand tooled' It is clearly a stamped impression on the wallet you can even see the edge of the stamp impression. Don't lie about your products some folks know better.

got it.. you are right

18 hours ago, AlZilla said:

I wonder why you guys are seeing such slow downloads ...?

a lot of it has to do with with actual connection speeds.. not everyone has cable internet. or even DSL.. it is just not available to some people.
best speed I can get currently is about 6-7mbps download.. that is it. Yes, it sucks, but that is one of the relatively minor drawbacks to living in the middle of nowhere.

my internet choices are very limited due to location... wireless or satellite (with data caps) - either way is slow. Wireless is not affected by rain, fog or snow... satellite is, so.. we had satellite in the past, before the wireless became available to us. Not going back to that nonsense.

Lots of people worldwide, and even in "rich" North America live on the fringes of the internet so have very limited connection speeds.  If your business depends on people that live in those areas (middle of Kansas, mountainous areas, sparsely populated areas) then you really need to consider their connection speeds.  Will they wait 5 minutes for a page to download before they give up? 

I have a nephew that moved to an acreage in a semi-rural area of Kansas and his work depended on having an internet connection.  No such luck, no cable connections available. 

This is something people should pay attention to when they are moving to a new location. 

My son got caught similarly a few years ago.  Nice acreage, beautiful location, great price.  Couldn't even get a telephone land line because all the pairs in the buried cable were all in use.  To get cell service, had to put a cell booster and antenna on the top of his house.  Even at that he was very limited.  He is now on Starlink and has very good internet, very stable, great speeds.  Cell service hasn't improved.  They aren't too likely to build a cell tower to pick up a handful of clients!

9 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Lots of people worldwide, and even in "rich" North America live on the fringes of the internet so have very limited connection speeds.  If your business depends on people that live in those areas (middle of Kansas, mountainous areas, sparsely populated areas) then you really need to consider their connection speeds.  Will they wait 5 minutes for a page to download before they give up? 

I have a nephew that moved to an acreage in a semi-rural area of Kansas and his work depended on having an internet connection.  No such luck, no cable connections available. 

This is something people should pay attention to when they are moving to a new location. 

My son got caught similarly a few years ago.  Nice acreage, beautiful location, great price.  Couldn't even get a telephone land line because all the pairs in the buried cable were all in use.  To get cell service, had to put a cell booster and antenna on the top of his house.  Even at that he was very limited.  He is now on Starlink and has very good internet, very stable, great speeds.  Cell service hasn't improved.  They aren't too likely to build a cell tower to pick up a handful of clients!

sounds like the perfect place to live.:)

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

sounds like the perfect place to live.:)

We stole a spot and put a trailer out there.  Connected into his water and septic tank systems. 

Great place to stay, no competition with campers, quiet, get to listen to the birds and woodpeckers.  A gurgling creek nearby.