Wizcrafts

Beware of scammers responding to Wanted posts

It has come to our attention that some overseas scammers have been responding to posts in the Wanted forum on Leatherworker.net. This is a matter of concern because it involves financial loss by some of our members. Here's how the scam works.

1. A member of the forum creates a post stating the are looking to buy a particular item that other members may be willing to part with.
  2. Sometime later, a new member responds stating that they or their friend has that very item for sale.
  3. They post an email address to contact them, or the friend who has the item.
  4. They may also use our private message system and invite you to send them a message if you are interested.

This is how buying and selling usually works. So, what makes this a scam? It may or may not be a scam, but, there are telltale signs that it is. They include, but are not limited to the following things to look out for before you respond.

• The person replying is a new member with only one, or a few posts, and all are in response to posts for items wanted.
  • They list an email address that contains the words "mask" and/or "luca." at gmail, or another freemail service. Example: maskluca9@gmail.com.
  • They have the email address: lupodsblumqt2267@gmail.com
  • They mention a friend you should contact that contains the name "cherry," or "padcherry," , or the email address: padcherry98@gmail.com
  • They may post a photo of the item they claim to have. If you look closely it turns out to be a stock photo from a dealer's website, or even from a previous ad from another member who was selling it previously. If you ask for close-ups and different views, they can't provide them in a timely manner. This is because they don't actually possess the item.
  • They ask for payment via Western Union, Bitcoin, or prepaid money cards (aka: gift cards). These types of payment cannot be traced to the person cashing them out. Your money is irreversibly gone if you pay with any service like these.

The scammers sign up under various aliases, but will usually list a location in the same country you live in when they reply to your post. For instance, the last one I terminated listed his address in Texas, in the USA. But, his normally hidden IP address showed otherwise. This is not normal. Since only moderators can see the IP addresses of posters, I encourage you to notify a moderator is you receive a suspicious reply to a post for an item for sale or an item wanted. The sooner we learn about forum scammers, the sooner we can block them from posting here.

Thank you!!!

Thanks for the heads up.   I hope others take the time to read this.

Stay safe out there!

~JL

On 8/13/2023 at 1:05 PM, Wizcrafts said:
  • They may post a photo of the item they claim to have. If you look closely it turns out to be a stock photo from a dealer's website, or even from a previous ad from another member who was selling it previously. If you ask for close-ups and different views, they can't provide them in a timely manner. This is because they don't actually possess the item.

This is a great warning post.  Here's another thing you can do that adds to this point: Download the image (right click and "save")  then take the photo and drag it into https://images.google.com/  and it will show you if the same image anywhere else on the web, if it's on another "for sale" post from sometime in the past with different "owner info", it's a sure sign of a scam.  Obviously asking for more pics or closeups works two but reverse searching is something you can do with out further contact.

I find a simpler way is to right-click on the photo. In a menu which opens I chose 'search image with google '. That opens a side-bar showing that photo and ones like it and you can find its origin

Thanks for the heads up.

I've come across at least 2-3 scams here.  I just ask for detailed photos and technical points that a scammer can't figure out how to answer.

Now I have to confess, there was one WTB ad I placed and received a reply to here last year.  I thought for sure he was a scammer (and even told him so) and turned out to be quite a helpful and accommodating gentleman.   

I bought an Adler 205 off of him based solely on photos and descriptions.  Yes, it was one of those "I am helping someone else sell this" lines.  In the end, I wired him the money and he broke it down and freighted it to me.   It turned out to be a good machine that didn't have many hrs worth of wear on it.    

Would I do it again? Probably.  But carefully.   I placed a WTB ad today!  lol.

Adding to the chorus. I'm not 100% certain it's a scam but I'm 99% of the way there. Some differences:

An account with several posts and an account almost a year old messages me through here. They said another user - one with a 13 year old account and several sold items-has what I'm looking for. They have me what they said was that long established user's email address. 

Emailed them off the platform, they sent several photos and a reverse search of the images they sent came up empty. 

I requested and received a photo with my name and that day's date in the picture, along with the machine they aid they were selling. 

Everything was going well I thought till they went silent after I sent half the cost via Zelle. 

Maybe I'll get a new photo of the skiver packed up and a tracking number, but it's been 4 days with no response. 

@Northmount if you can't get details from my message history, I can direct message you with details. @Wizcrafts no idea why I tagged northmount instead of you. 

Edited by JHLeatherwood
Added The Wiz

14 hours ago, JHLeatherwood said:

@Northmount if you can't get details from my message history, I can direct message you with details. @Wizcrafts no idea why I tagged northmount instead of you. 

@Wizcrafts I'll leave this for you to follow up.  Looks like too much off platform email contacts to track anything here.

@Northmount - I sent him a private message with instructions that will help me pinpoint the location of the potential scammer.