Sefuller

Snaps don't hold in thick leather

My first attempt at leatherwork is not going well.  I wanted to make a valet tray, using thicker leather as I want to burnish the edges.  The snaps that I purchased don't have much holding power and don't even come close to holding the corners together.  I have had them clamped for several weeks in hopes the leather would begin to take a set but it doesn't appear to be having any affect.  Do I need different snaps or is there something I can do to these snaps or the leather?  The leather is 9 - 10 oz.

Thanks for any tips.

20230925_045204.jpg

Edited by Sefuller

wet form your trays. then use rivets.

23 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

wet form your trays. then use rivets.

Yup, I second that:yes:  . Why  use snaps on valet trays?

HS

Wet form your tray and clamp the corners. When they've dried they should hold the shape and snaps should hold them together

46 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Yup, I second that:yes:  . Why  use snaps on valet trays?

HS

For functionality.  You might want to take it with you when traveling.  Also, many are sold with snaps because it makes packaging and shipping easier. Vive la difference.

1 hour ago, Sefuller said:

My first attempt at leatherwork is not going well.  I wanted to make a valet tray, using thicker leather as I want to burnish the edges.  The snaps that I purchased don't have much holding power and don't even come close to holding the corners together.  I have had them clamped for several weeks in hopes the leather would begin to take a set but it doesn't appear to be having any affect.  Do I need different snaps or is there something I can do to these snaps or the leather?  The leather is 9 - 10 oz.

Thanks for any tips.

20230925_045204.jpg

Could you show a picture of how you have installed the snaps? I would have thought that the snaps you show would have had too long a length for that thickness leather and that may be stopping the snaps from fully closing as they should.

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Could you show a picture of how you have installed the snaps? I would have thought that the snaps you show would have had too long a length for that thickness leather and that may be stopping the snaps from fully closing as they should.

See attached photos - I used a Pres n Snap tool.  The snaps do seem to snap shut like they should but as soon as I let go they pop right back open.

20230925_193148.jpg

20230925_193218.jpg

Edited by Sefuller

I haven't been impressed with the snaps I got from tandy. Very weak holding power. I have since started using security (pull-the-dot) and they function the way I want snap

to function 

Looks like you have them set alright which makes me think the snaps are too week. As you already have them installed I would suggest some light tapping around the rim on the side that holds the clip ring. A little resistance there should make it harder to open but too much and you may have trouble getting it closed.

4 minutes ago, Ddat said:

I haven't been impressed with the snaps I got from tandy. Very weak holding power. I have since started using security (pull-the-dot) and they function the way I want snap

to function 

Good move

Try moving them further in from the corner. You are fighting 'leverage'.

I recognize those snaps,  Tandy has a habit of buying items that are good for their "bottom line"; where the company saves a penny per 100,000 because the male part on a line 24 is a bastard size  and it's a wee bit smaller than normal, more like a line 23 and 9/10ths. The buyer for tandy doesn't use these items, he is there to make sure they don't run out. I'm pretty sure he has zero knowledge of what tolerances are or how a slight hardness in metal affects a tools behavior. Most guys (like myself) would pay that extra 25 cents for better quality other than getting an item that is there just to fill a shelf! FJB.
Screw it, today I'm calling Tandy and tell them how they are screwing up and making bad experiences for their consumers, because they hire a guy that is better suited to ask do you want fries with that burger??? 

Sefullef - it's not your placement of the snap - it's that the snap is not made correctly!  I hold paper in industrial engineering and that picture of the snap shows me that the problem is on the male parts design. It should be a bit more bulbous. The spring has nothing to hold onto. Tapping the female edge is just gonna bend the surrounding metal jacket. If the spring was a smidgen smaller or the head of the male part (which I would target) was  made a whisper of a smidgen larger - you would have a better quality snap!

I'm sure I have covered this before - on the same product - sold by the same  company - made by cheap methods - in China!

See what y'all went and did, now I'm upset and made me rant past my beauty sleep - which I soooo desperately need!

Edited by Doc Reaper
Spelling cause I'm in a tiff

A bit late in this thread but here goes.

@Doc Reaper   I agree with you. A few weeks ago, I went to one of the Tandy classes to learn how to attach grommets. The person demonstrating insisted that the snaps they sold were the only ones available anywhere and anything else did not exist! " I don't know where you got those from! I have never seen them ANYWHERE" was his specific reply when I asked if he knew where I could get the more delicate snaps I use and that  are better for smaller items like coin wallets. Most salespeople always give some information or just say they don't know.  The ones I got from Tandy earlier are just lying to one side, unused. The ones I got from Amazon are better and they are surely made in  China. Wonder where the ones from Tandy are made!

If the salespeople are ready to listen and then convey what customers say to their management, it might make them aware about the defects in their products. This attitude.. Hmm. it really put me off. Luckily, the very exuberant manager is toned down  now and very approachable. I don't go to that store now unless I know she is present. 

@Sefuller about the snaps, perhaps you could order a smaller number to check that they suit your purpose and are of good quality as well. I do that for everything now.

The lighn  24 snaps are heavier than the standard Tandy snaps (lighn 20). You can get better snaps, and longer, from Ohio Travel Bag and Steckstore.

Chicago Screws  work better for me. I have been using 12-13 oz for valet trays (all I had handy) and I ordered 1/2 inch Chicago screws from the same places.

E4900AF1-73E9-4C48-8369-21449B4D739A.jpeg

agreed!! I am pretty disappointed with their snaps. I pulled 20 pieces out of a fair because the snaps started to fail. I also am disappointed in the consistency of finishes. Each bag is a little different, having 3 colors of antique brass? So I switched to classic nickel plated- now those look different. I purchased some new snaps from a boat cover supply business. They seem to be decent, however they lack a smaller size. I'll check out the earlier mentioned "Ohio travel bag". Are there other suppliers you trust and love? (before going through the google list)-A