Rossr

Brockton Mallet company

So I had this given to me from a friend.  It needs some clean up etc and of course I figure I can do it lol.  Anyway after searching the net and on here I can't seem to find much abput these of how they go together.  The nut seems to suggest to me it can come apart?  Anyone know how they come apart ?  I actually stumbled on the patent drawings but  still not sure.  

I'm guessing if I get it apart.  I'm gonna have to track down rawhide too . The leather handle I can do np.  

Open to thoughts.  Its marked Brockton mallet company .

Thanks

Ross

20231011_083711.jpg

20231011_083715.jpg

20231011_083721.jpg

20231011_083718.jpg

This doesn't help at all with your question but I found this doing a google search. Pretty cool!

image.png.157131020652f04a2f4e3f1b5b0182c4.png

Take this with a pound of salt ......... but looking at patent #662,691 , I would think loosening the nut and placing a rod that just goes in the hole on the handle end and tapping that rod would start it apart .  Again  I do NOT KNOW  , might need someone with a little machinist knowledge to look at the drawings .

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/08/d5/50/ad30f9cac6db57/US662691.pdf

18 hours ago, ArkieNewbie said:

This doesn't help at all with your question but I found this doing a google search. Pretty cool!

image.png.157131020652f04a2f4e3f1b5b0182c4.png

I saw that too neat stuff

16 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Take this with a pound of salt ......... but looking at patent #662,691 , I would think loosening the nut and placing a rod that just goes in the hole on the handle end and tapping that rod would start it apart .  Again  I do NOT KNOW  , might need someone with a little machinist knowledge to look at the drawings .

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/08/d5/50/ad30f9cac6db57/US662691.pdf

I tend to agree with you my look seems similar, but kind confuses me how they put on the leathwr stack handle cause I can't seem to see where the end of the handle is opened or anything.  Appreciate the thoughts.  The handle has somw dry rot issues hence my reso thoughts and I kinda like refurbing tools

Thanks

Ross 

What's at the very end of the handle?  It was cut off in the photo.  Just a guess, but it may disassemble from that end.  

- Bill

I would guess it unscrews at some point but its probably rusted up or just to tight. If you seriously want to re build it then cut off the leather. None of the leather or rawhide is good anymore you will need to replace it so no loss. it will be a lot of work for something that has little collector value but it is cool and I would do it just to learn how it was made. the holes on each end were probably to turn it on a lathe. 

8 hours ago, billybopp said:

What's at the very end of the handle?  It was cut off in the photo.  Just a guess, but it may disassemble from that end.  

- Bill

Bill,

3rd pic down is the end of the leather stack handle looks like a round tapered washer. Doesn't seem peened.  The patent drawings seem to show a taper on the rawhide end and maybe that end I gotta tap on it some and see!

7 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I would guess it unscrews at some point but its probably rusted up or just to tight. If you seriously want to re build it then cut off the leather. None of the leather or rawhide is good anymore you will need to replace it so no loss. it will be a lot of work for something that has little collector value but it is cool and I would do it just to learn how it was made. the holes on each end were probably to turn it on a lathe. 

Chuck,

Yes I think each end they pit a point on a lathe to round the rawhide and the handle.  Yes I get down these rabbit holes and like to redo tools cause it's fun and cool.  Agree not worth collector value but man is it fun to redo tools and have them in my shop and learn something!   I have never messed with rawhide might have to see about getting some once I get it apart.  The rawhide is ok shape the handle I can redo got plenty of scrap leather to make rounds and stack.

Thanks guys

Ross

I blew up the drawings and it looks like the handle end has a shoulder down in there that's attached to the end cap you can see . The nut I think is on a collet part of the main sleeve .

Good luck with restoring it .

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

Assuming you have the time, this is a worthy project!  Please share pics of the journey!

Things don’t always have to be judged on financial merit.  If they were, this world would be a dreary place.

16 hours ago, Gezzer said:

I blew up the drawings and it looks like the handle end has a shoulder down in there that's attached to the end cap you can see . The nut I think is on a collet part of the main sleeve .

Good luck with restoring it .

IMG_2179.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

Thank you great catch on the end if the handle!    The nut came loose with no issues at all thankfully.  I think I'll be brave and take off the leather handle and see then I have to fix it hahaha 

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Assuming you have the time, this is a worthy project!  Please share pics of the journey!

Things don’t always have to be judged on financial merit.  If they were, this world would be a dreary place.

Always time just a matter if when in between other projects.  I agree it would be dreary if financial only.  I'll share as I go!

Ross

Ok so I got brave and took off the leather stack handle.   Found out it was just peened over on the end. I think the last washer may have been rawhide by the peened over end Pics tell the story. 

I have never messed with rawhide at all.  Debating do I try to get some and redo the mallet head too or just the leather stack.   Open to thoughts.  Gonna clean up the metal parts first regardless. 

20231018_153700.jpg

20231018_153714.jpg

20231018_154557.jpg

20231018_154602.jpg

20231018_154613.jpg

Well it looks like I missed completely  :o  

Glad you got it taken apart and I would have to put new  rawhide on the head while it's down .

1 hour ago, Gezzer said:

Well it looks like I missed completely  :o  

Glad you got it taken apart and I would have to put new  rawhide on the head while it's down .

No I think your assessment on the patent pics was correct.  This appears different.  Maybe a newer or older version.

Now I need to figure out the rawhide!

Edited by Rossr

12 hours ago, Rossr said:

Now I need to figure out the rawhide!

It would be cool if there was enough rawhide left if you get it compressed and sand it a little. I'd bet the years of hide patina would look great sanded and resealed.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, Burkhardt said:

It would be cool if there was enough rawhide left if you get it compressed and sand it a little. I'd bet the years of hide patina would look great sanded and resealed.

I think I can reuse what is there. It's till pretty tight and when I did some light sanding  on it before I took it apart didn't seem bad.  The fact I don't have any rawhide in my shop leads me to think about reusing too

Ross

Ok so cleaned it up some and decided to save the rawhide as is.  So here is where I'm at. Leather handle will be next.   I'm tempted drill and tap the end and screw the leather fast with a metal washer rather than peen it again. Thus allowing it to be taken apart again if needed.   

20231106_172544.jpg

20231106_172809.jpg

20231106_172536.jpg

Looks like it is cleaning up nicely . Looking forward to seeing it when ya get her done !

that will be soooo cool! great job so far.

So added the leather I'm now debating 1.  Do I nees to epoxy or glue each one. Which seems crazy and a lot of glue or epoxy. 2.  Do I just drill tap add Washers and a bolt of some type or Allen head screw. Hmmm

Anyway got the leather rings on it. 

20231107_130914.jpg

20231107_130911.jpg

When I made my stacked leather handle for my mallet I glued them using PVA wood glue. I slid them onto a length of threaded rod and clamped them tight with nuts and washers, slowly tightening them as the leather compressed. If you tap a thread in the end of the handle (good idea) you could use this process directly on the mallet. I reckon a hex-head bolt would closer match the age of it than an Allen-head bolt.

I like your idea of saving the rawhide.  That's some tough stuff.    Whacking a shader with a 120 y.o. mallet sounds like fun.  

OTH, if you do decide to replace any rawhide pieces, you could use some rawhide dog treats.  Moisten it in water just until it's pliable, but don't soak it too much, you don't want it soggy (sort of like casing leather) then cut to shape, remembering that it will shrink as it dries.    You should be able to restore any damaged pieces that way.  But either way, I think the rawhide stack might benefit from some glue or shellac.

That's what I used for my mallet head, finding rawhide here isn't easy so I just bought some rawhide dog bones. Took a bit of soaking to unwrap them but it worked great (and cheap).

Ok gang, 

Thanks for all of the thoughts.  Good ideas on dog treats makes sense to me.   

So i decided mallet head as it was.  The end I made a brass washer and drilled and tapped the end for a tapered Allen head screw.  I chose not to glue the leather time will tell if that is a mistake.  From taking it apart my view was they did not glue either. I also chose to cold blue the metal parts which I like the darker.  Lastly.  I dyed the handle and then buffed it.    

It weighs in a 4.25lbs approx.

Should be good for years to come.  I enjoy fixing up old tools for use.  No money in it for sure but it is fun.  

20231109_115102.jpg

20231109_114904.jpg

20231109_114857.jpg

20231109_114848.jpg

20231109_114839.jpg

20231109_100955.jpg

20231109_110717.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Fixed typo - ot > it, reads easier