maggielj

Beaded Inlay belt!

Just finished this up and its going to its new home this weekend! I posted it to another thread also I will remove if that is not allowed. Its for a woman named Suzanne who was looking for something to go with her dads belt buckle. She is my greatest supporter! She was the first to buy a custom hat band from me a few years ago and now the first to buy a belt! 

Thank you for checking it out! I am open for constructive criticism, always looking to improve!

maggielj

Suzanne belt 1 (2).jpg

Suzanne belt 4.jpg

Would love to see the whole thing stretched out flat . . . 

What kind of background material did you use ??  I use only dental floss.

Here is my favorite piece I've ever done . . . for a USMC guy.

May God bless,

Dwight

USMC ANCHOR.JPG

Edited by Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

Would love to see the whole thing stretched out flat . . . 

What kind of background material did you use ??  I use only dental floss.

Here is my favorite piece I've ever done . . . for a USMC guy.

May God bless,

Dwight

USMC ANCHOR.JPG

@Dwight That looks amazing for a first piece! My first piece was no where close to looking that good! For this piece I used size D nymo which is made from nylon.

Here is a photo of it laid out, sorry it is not the best picture.

Thank you,

maggielj

Suzanne belt 10.jpg

Looks damn good to me!! I don't know anything about beading but this makes me want to learn how to do it!! Beautiful work!

That is beautiful!! I would love to learn how to do the beading but have no clue where to start. Any good resources you'd recommend?

It looks pretty nice to me. I always like bead work belts.

Your friend will love it,   I’ll bet.

my brother was good at beading.. I don’t have the dexterity for it.

nor the patience .

Joel

I could not find my book  . . .  but this one would probably suffice . . .  it's called loom beading . . .  what I do . . . and what maggielj did.

You make a loom of strings . . .  had a place in Columbus a few years back . . .  and when I went in to get info . . . first thing the first lady said to me . . . "never use string . . . always use dental floss for your beading" . . . and I have.

You make a loom that holds the strings . . . I used a spring for a screen door on each end . . . and between each of the coils I stretched a string.  For something that would be say 10 beads tall . . . you use 11 strings (11 pieces of dental floss. . . lol) . . . that is called the "warp".   One string is above the top bead . . . one string is below the bottom bead.  One string goes between each bead in the up and downUSMC_BEST.xls

You start at the left end . . . tie a "woof" string to the top warp string . . . and put the colored beads of the left "up and down" then you weave the beads on there . . . put the next up and down string . . . and so forth.  

And you really have to  make a pattern.  Don't laugh . . . I use Microsoft Excel . . . and by changing the color of the square . . . I can set up what I want . . . how I want it.  The USMC icon was woven left to right . . . the other two woven top to bottom.

It's a bit more complicated than I've said . . . but this might help:  Loom Beading Patterns & Techniques: Patterns, techniques, finishing, and more for the novice or accomplished loomer Paperback – April 26, 2021  

Its a book on Amazon . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

dwights beads small.jpg

USMC_BEST.xls

@maggielj That is very beautiful.  Like @Chux and @KYCat said, looking at it makes me want to learn beading.

Edited by SUP

8 hours ago, KYCat said:

That is beautiful!! I would love to learn how to do the beading but have no clue where to start. Any good resources you'd recommend?

@KYCat and @Chux  I learned from youtube! I'm sorry I do not have any specific videos or books to recommend, but @Dwight has some very good suggestions! I get most of my supplies from beadededge.com or firemountaingems.com . Both have better prices than hobby lobby, but larger quantities. Hobby lobby will run them on sale a few times a month if your not looking for a whole hank. I use precosia cezch 11/0 seed beads, size 11 john james beading needles, and size D nymo that I wax as I use. I made my own loom as did Dwight, and there are some good designs for them floating around the internet- however you can pick one up on amazon for about $10. 

Thank you guys for the complements, and please shoot me a DM if you need!

maggielj

Really nice belt !!

On 10/21/2023 at 2:07 PM, maggielj said:

Thank you for checking it out! I am open for constructive criticism, always looking to improve!

How on earth can anyone criticise  that??  It looks great . Beading is an art in itself.  :specool:

HS

Wow wow wow.  That is really really nice!!!!

Always wanted to give this a go. Looks great

On 10/21/2023 at 9:25 PM, maggielj said:

@KYCat and @Chux  I learned from youtube! I'm sorry I do not have any specific videos or books to recommend, but @Dwight has some very good suggestions! I get most of my supplies from beadededge.com or firemountaingems.com . Both have better prices than hobby lobby, but larger quantities. Hobby lobby will run them on sale a few times a month if your not looking for a whole hank. I use precosia cezch 11/0 seed beads, size 11 john james beading needles, and size D nymo that I wax as I use. I made my own loom as did Dwight, and there are some good designs for them floating around the internet- however you can pick one up on amazon for about $10. 

Thank you guys for the complements, and please shoot me a DM if you need!

maggielj

Thanks so much!! I had notifications turned off so didn't see this.

Appreciate the info and will hopefully be able give this a go soon! 

On 10/21/2023 at 7:12 PM, Dwight said:

I could not find my book  . . .  but this one would probably suffice . . .  it's called loom beading . . .  what I do . . . and what maggielj did.

You make a loom of strings . . .  had a place in Columbus a few years back . . .  and when I went in to get info . . . first thing the first lady said to me . . . "never use string . . . always use dental floss for your beading" . . . and I have.

You make a loom that holds the strings . . . I used a spring for a screen door on each end . . . and between each of the coils I stretched a string.  For something that would be say 10 beads tall . . . you use 11 strings (11 pieces of dental floss. . . lol) . . . that is called the "warp".   One string is above the top bead . . . one string is below the bottom bead.  One string goes between each bead in the up and downUSMC_BEST.xls

You start at the left end . . . tie a "woof" string to the top warp string . . . and put the colored beads of the left "up and down" then you weave the beads on there . . . put the next up and down string . . . and so forth.  

And you really have to  make a pattern.  Don't laugh . . . I use Microsoft Excel . . . and by changing the color of the square . . . I can set up what I want . . . how I want it.  The USMC icon was woven left to right . . . the other two woven top to bottom.

It's a bit more complicated than I've said . . . but this might help:  Loom Beading Patterns & Techniques: Patterns, techniques, finishing, and more for the novice or accomplished loomer Paperback – April 26, 2021  

Its a book on Amazon . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

dwights beads small.jpg

USMC_BEST.xls 28 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you! You're always a fount of good info!