BilyRoberto

Ending the thread

Hi all,
I have started recently on the leatherwork, and I am using an standard cigarette lighter to cut the thread.
By doing this the ending is not nice.
What tool and technique do you suggest me to use to make these endings neat?
Thank you

Use scissors to cut the thread (extra points if you use snippers with finely-edged blades to create a clean cut to prevent fraying---I just use regular old scissors, though), down to about 1/8" length.  Then use the lighter to melt the end and press the melted bit down into the other stitches.  With a little practice, it's pretty easy to do very cleanly.

1 hour ago, Mablung said:

Use scissors to cut the thread (extra points if you use snippers with finely-edged blades to create a clean cut to prevent fraying---I just use regular old scissors, though), down to about 1/8" length.  Then use the lighter to melt the end and press the melted bit down into the other stitches.  With a little practice, it's pretty easy to do very cleanly.

This is what i do as well, but I use a blunt tip awl to press the still hot end down into the hole. One can also buy a cheap little pronged thread burner thingy, but i think a lighter and awl works fine. I assume withe the prong tool one could easily burn off the stitching when trying to burn the ends off into the hole.

I just cut it off with scissors and burn it with a lighter.  I've thought about getting one of the thread burners.  Thread burners are not expensive, but I'm not convinced its gonna make an improvement enough to separate me from some cash.

You do not say whether you are hand or machine stitching. Two totally different critters.

Hand sewing; sometimes I cut and burn but mostly I cut the thread tight to the item. I usually give my items a coat of soft wax mix which I polish in. The sewn threads get this too. Also, with some heavy thread I try to bring the end of the thread up between the layers, cut neat, tuck the end down  and glue the edge, locking the thread in

On 11/10/2023 at 1:55 AM, tsunkasapa said:

You do not say whether you are hand or machine stitching. Two totally different critters.

Both! Nevertheless we aim to focus on hand.

2 hours ago, BilyRoberto said:

Both! Nevertheless we aim to focus on hand.

In that case, back stitch 2-3 stitches and cut flush with the surface, no flame needed.

I use one of those battery thread burners, you have to be careful with it or you'll leave black burn marks on the leather if you hit it. while melting down the end I kind of wipe it onto the stitch next to it. I use nylon thread so it ends up being fused, nylon to nylon. might be overkill compared to a lighter but that's what I use. runs on one AA battery and goes thru them pretty quick.

nail clippers and no burn. pull the stitch up tight and snip it close.

On 11/27/2023 at 6:46 PM, tsunkasapa said:

In that case, back stitch 2-3 stitches and cut flush with the surface, no flame needed.

I can't backstitch with my Cobra Class 26 - it goes sideways on me. 3 layers of veg tan, but I can spin the work 180 with the needle down and then do 2-3 stitches. 

Edited by deboardp

3 hours ago, deboardp said:

I can't backstitch with my Cobra Class 26 - it goes sideways on me. 3 layers of veg tan, but I can spin the work 180 with the needle down and then do 2-3 stitches. 

I only hand stitch. I have a machine that I have never used...other than a place to stack stuff.

On 11/10/2023 at 1:02 AM, fredk said:

Also, with some heavy thread I try to bring the end of the thread up between the layers, cut neat, tuck the end down  and glue the edge, locking the thread in

If being ultra picky there's no reason why this technique can't be used when machine sewing. Just leave enough thread to put a needle on.