jnsloth

need chest holster template

My son has asked me to make a chest holster for his Springfield Armory XDM 10mm pistol with 4.5" barrel.  I have made holsters before but have always had the pistol available so that I could wet the leather and mold it around the shape of the pistol.  I don't have access to this particular pistol (son lives in Montana and I'm in Oregon) and I can't seem to find a similar size pistol or a template to use.   Anyone have any suggestions about how to proceed?

Just depends on how talented you are in the wood shop.

I've had success getting the dimensions of a gun off the internet . . . 

Gluing a couple pieces of yellow pine (my preferred) together . . . getting out the band saw, drill press, table saw, router, sander, grinder . . . etc . . . and coming up with a suitable copy for a holster.

If you really want a serious model . . . holster training guns are available for around 75 . . . usually can sell them on Ebay for a tad over half price . . . just a thought

May God bless,

Dwight

On 11/11/2023 at 11:42 AM, jnsloth said:

My son has asked me to make a chest holster for his Springfield Armory XDM 10mm pistol with 4.5" barrel.  I have made holsters before but have always had the pistol available so that I could wet the leather and mold it around the shape of the pistol.  I don't have access to this particular pistol (son lives in Montana and I'm in Oregon) and I can't seem to find a similar size pistol or a template to use.   Anyone have any suggestions about how to proceed?

yea go buy one for your self LOL. then make two holsters:banana: . if I had a pattern for that I would send it to you.

This is my process  

go online and find dimensions. take a screen shot of the gun

enlarge the image till it matches the deminsions 

Print.   Clue to a 2x6. And cut by using a jig saw

Question for you 

is that gun a medium or large frame semi auto? 

I just bought a blue gun, Glock 19 generation 5 from holstersmith. $62.00 to my door. I’m in the process of making a holster with it now. a workable holster can be made without one but for a wet-vacuum formed holster you really need a blue gun or the real thing. I’m not big on Glocks so buying one wasn’t going to happen and I figure selling one holster will make up the cost of a blue gun. If it’s for your son, and Christmas is coming you could buy the blue gun, use it, then list it for sale here.

Thanks to all for responding.  Some very good suggestions.  I really appreciate Hags sending me a template which I plan to use.  I think I'm going to purchase a mold, use it to shape the leather and then offer if for sale as has been suggested.  I would go the "make your own with wood" route but I don't have the woodworking tools for that.