WalterF

Making a Violin Purse

Gini saw a purse she liked, except the size. What's a husband to do? Started designing and making her one she wants. Tomorrow hopefully will assemble the gusset, it does scare me. This is the most complicated one due to the curves.

Inside finished unassembled web.jpg

Outside finished unassembled web.jpg

That is going to be sharp!  Nice work you do. 

18 hours ago, DieselTech said:

That is going to be sharp!  Nice work you do. 

Thank you.

Finished the body.

Finished Front Closed web.jpg

Back finished Closed web.jpg

that's really cool.  Well done.

2 hours ago, Littlef said:

that's really cool.  Well done.

Thank you

14 minutes ago, purplefox66 said:

You are definitely a very gifted artist 

Thank you, had some good teachers.

Forgot to include the inside, and the finished photo of a happy wife.

Finished Looking In Top web.jpg

Gini and Finished Purse web.jpg

Very awesome work:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thats a pretty neat idea.

:thumbsup:

That is so unique and well made  :specool:  Brass fittings rock  :yes:

Don't be surprised if she gets asked " where can I get one ? " You may end up with a few orders.

HS

Yep that is outside the box and quite nice !!

Yeah beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing with us. Great work.

On 11/28/2023 at 12:51 AM, Bert03241 said:

Very awesome work:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you, it was a challenge.

17 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

Thats a pretty neat idea.

:thumbsup:

Thank you

16 hours ago, Handstitched said:

That is so unique and well made  :specool:  Brass fittings rock  :yes:

Don't be surprised if she gets asked " where can I get one ? " You may end up with a few orders.

HS

Thank you, fun to try unique stuff I get bored easily. Brass is good Buckle Guy has some good stuff.

Not one I would like to do again.

14 hours ago, Gezzer said:

Yep that is outside the box and quite nice !!

Thank you, My wife calls herself Abbi for abnormal. Guess some has rubbed off.

7 hours ago, DieselTech said:

Yeah beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing with us. Great work.

Thank you, love too.

Amazing work, thanks for sharing!

Marvel! Nice work done with delicacy.  simple soooper :)

Sewing in that gusset was a real tour de force of stitching prowess. I'm imagining the process of keeping it all aligned, punching and stitching not just on the curve but with a couple of hard turns AND  the edges turned at a 90.  If you make another one, some video of that magical feat would be great to watch.

Interesting work, as usual.

On 11/29/2023 at 1:02 AM, WalterF said:

Thank you, My wife calls herself Abbi for abnormal. Guess some has rubbed off.

abby-normal-can-hiep-phan.thumb.jpg.3c8d553a4562dbb591a355987402d168.jpg

:rofl:

@BlackDragon I thought about that movie when  I read it :lol:

The logical/practical side of me says the shape takes up valuable holding space but boy! That was worth it. Awesome job. I wonder if the wife will get fed up with being stopped in the street. Well done.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:07 AM, Klara said:

Amazing work, thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the compliment

On 11/29/2023 at 2:19 PM, MahaKhan said:

Marvel! Nice work done with delicacy.  simple soooper :)

Thank you

23 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Sewing in that gusset was a real tour de force of stitching prowess. I'm imagining the process of keeping it all aligned, punching and stitching not just on the curve but with a couple of hard turns AND  the edges turned at a 90.  If you make another one, some video of that magical feat would be great to watch.

Interesting work, as usual.

I sewed it on my class 4, tried to glue but with the curves didn't work for me. I ended up manipulating the gusset as it was being sewn. The front went pretty well, the back was another story. Sewed the center bottom and went up some on one side then sewed the top two ends with the last finishing that side. Then went to the other side working top down it got more interesting the farther down it got. Ended up using smooth jawed needle-nose pliers for the last 4 or so inches. 

8 hours ago, BlackDragon said:

abby-normal-can-hiep-phan.thumb.jpg.3c8d553a4562dbb591a355987402d168.jpg

:rofl:

That's where she got it.

4 hours ago, toxo said:

The logical/practical side of me says the shape takes up valuable holding space but boy! That was worth it. Awesome job. I wonder if the wife will get fed up with being stopped in the street. Well done.

You are right about the usable space. With the size it will hold what she wants, but it was more of a fun piece than practical.

2 hours ago, WalterF said:

Thank you for the compliment

Thank you

I sewed it on my class 4, tried to glue but with the curves didn't work for me. I ended up manipulating the gusset as it was being sewn. The front went pretty well, the back was another story. Sewed the center bottom and went up some on one side then sewed the top two ends with the last finishing that side. Then went to the other side working top down it got more interesting the farther down it got. Ended up using smooth jawed needle-nose pliers for the last 4 or so inches. 

That's where she got it.

You are right about the usable space. With the size it will hold what she wants, but it was more of a fun piece than practical.

Sometimes fun is best. I made this for my daughter some time ago and she still uses it every day for work

One + photos 1246.jpg

On 11/30/2023 at 8:02 PM, toxo said:

Sometimes fun is best. I made this for my daughter some time ago and she still uses it every day for work

One + photos 1246.jpg

Sweet, sometimes looks trump function.

Just looking at those lovely bags sure gets the creative juices flowing . 

Is that ' Marty Feldman' in that ' Abby Normal'  image? My dog is named ' Abby ' , she can be crazy at times. 

HS

29 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Is that ' Marty Feldman' in that ' Abby Normal'  image? My dog is named ' Abby ' , she can be crazy at times. 

HS

My creative juices have been stifled for a lot of this year. Half way through taking down my "project room" and moving the whole thing to a bigger room is bad enough but then I started my "Discus" thing, tropical fish that i used to keep 40 years ago. I started with a breeding pair and now I have hundreds and they take a lot of work but very satisfying and challenging.

I'm itching to get back to my leather. Is why I want get the Juki LS1341. I like the two machines I have but I want more precision and another thing that might seem silly, having to lift a lever UP to backstitch doesn't come easy to me when I'm concentrating and both my machines are UP.

I've had the tropical fish shop man here today to see my fish and he wants me to supply his shop so maybe my Discus babies will pay for the Juki. :)

On 12/3/2023 at 11:19 PM, Handstitched said:

HS

From the movie Young Frankenstein, that is the fun. See something and think I could do it this way and try new things.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:07 AM, toxo said:

My creative juices have been stifled for a lot of this year. Half way through taking down my "project room" and moving the whole thing to a bigger room is bad enough but then I started my "Discus" thing, tropical fish that i used to keep 40 years ago. I started with a breeding pair and now I have hundreds and they take a lot of work but very satisfying and challenging.

I'm itching to get back to my leather. Is why I want get the Juki LS1341. I like the two machines I have but I want more precision and another thing that might seem silly, having to lift a lever UP to backstitch doesn't come easy to me when I'm concentrating and both my machines are UP.

I've had the tropical fish shop man here today to see my fish and he wants me to supply his shop so maybe my Discus babies will pay for the Juki. :)

I totally get it. Used my leather room for storage almost a year. Finally had to move things around to work. That Juki looks good.