Ferg

Wood and Leather purse

At least two years ago I decided to begin thinking about making my wife a new purse. Present one about five or six years old.

Was thinking I would have some wood and leather involved with brass trim. Arthritis and other difficulties put the effort off until a month or so ago.

No rolled edges, fingers won't let me do much of that. Wanted to highlight the brass, hickory wood with laser engraved images, and a beautiful piece of leather I bought several years ago along with an entire hide of Kangaroo for the interior.

Those nail heads are actually the top of solid brass cap nails 5/8" in length. Drilled a hole just slightly smaller than the nail shanks, placed a drop of Super Glue on the holes and drove the nails. Stitched 1/8" from edge of leather completely around all edges and pockets. Pocket on back side with two interior pockets of kangaroo, (only one interior pocket visible in photos). Fastener has four small magnets to hold flap. Normally make the shoulder straps with two layers of leather, backside same as interior lining kangaroo and face side matching purse body. Kangaroo skin wasn't large enough to make straps. Interior pocket in last photo is large enough for her cell phone along with another small wallet that just happens to be kangaroo leather. Inside front pocket is smaller in height. Strap (one inch wide) ends at the wood panels are connected to solid brass fittings which are bolted to wood with Brass Chicago Screws. Hickory gusset ends are 5/8" in thickness, 8 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" wide at widest portion. Purse width is 12" side to side making the interior 10 3/4". No wooden stretchers inside purse. Wife has carried purse twice outside our home so it has a bit to get broken in.

It was a "Bear" to put together since both ends had to be assembled at same time. I use a lot of gel contact cement on my projects. Leather was cemented to wood edges before I installed the decorative nails.

No finish or burnish on the edges of leather, another difficult task if I had decided to do that. 

I am sure someone may have a question or two.....

BTW: She loves the purse. I gave it to her Christmas Eve.

Denise purse #1 2023.jpg

Denise Purse #2 2023.jpg

Denise Purse #3 2023.jpg

Denise Purse #4 2023.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ferg said:

At least two years ago I decided to begin thinking about making my wife a new purse. Present one about five or six years old.

Was thinking I would have some wood and leather involved with brass trim. Arthritis and other difficulties put the effort off until a month or so ago.

No rolled edges, fingers won't let me do much of that. Wanted to highlight the brass, hickory wood with laser engraved images, and a beautiful piece of leather I bought several years ago along with an entire hide of Kangaroo for the interior.

Those nail heads are actually the top of solid brass cap nails 5/8" in length. Drilled a hole just slightly smaller than the nail shanks, placed a drop of Super Glue on the holes and drove the nails. Stitched 1/8" from edge of leather completely around all edges and pockets. Pocket on back side with two interior pockets of kangaroo, (only one interior pocket visible in photos). Fastener has four small magnets to hold flap. Normally make the shoulder straps with two layers of leather, backside same as interior lining kangaroo and face side matching purse body. Kangaroo skin wasn't large enough to make straps. Interior pocket in last photo is large enough for her cell phone along with another small wallet that just happens to be kangaroo leather. Inside front pocket is smaller in height. Strap (one inch wide) ends at the wood panels are connected to solid brass fittings which are bolted to wood with Brass Chicago Screws. Hickory gusset ends are 5/8" in thickness, 8 1/2" tall and 4 1/2" wide at widest portion. Purse width is 12" side to side making the interior 10 3/4". No wooden stretchers inside purse. Wife has carried purse twice outside our home so it has a bit to get broken in.

It was a "Bear" to put together since both ends had to be assembled at same time. I use a lot of gel contact cement on my projects. Leather was cemented to wood edges before I installed the decorative nails.

No finish or burnish on the edges of leather, another difficult task if I had decided to do that. 

I am sure someone may have a question or two.....

BTW: She loves the purse. I gave it to her Christmas Eve.

Denise purse #1 2023.jpg

Denise Purse #2 2023.jpg

Denise Purse #3 2023.jpg

Denise Purse #4 2023.jpg

Awesome work! Looks great. I have been thinking something along them lines. 

Thanks for sharing it. 

What a work of art! :banana: 

I think I saw something similar on here before. Thats brilliant :thumbsup:  Adding wood opens up a lot of new creative opportunities . 

HS

Very nice indeedy

I like the way you rebated the leather to the wood

Thats really a great Pocket Book nice work. Are you trying to compete with Frodo for outside the box designs or maybe in the case Inside the box LOL anyway you did an awesome job on this.:thumbsup:

thats cool!!!

Very nice! On my list of things to do.

Thank you everyone for your kind remarks, I really appreciate it.