MarshalWill

Which Hand Operated Sewing Machine works Best?

I've been thinking about getting a hand operated Sewing Machine and would like some input on which machine is best. Best for my purposes means which does good stitching, which is easiest to operate, which has the best options and which requires less maintenance to keep it working right?

So far I have three possible ones: the Tippmann Boss, the Toledo Industries Cowboy Outlaw and the Weaver Master Tool Cub. I'd like to keep price out of this since I'll decide on what it's worth to me after I can compare the benefits and drawbacks for all three.

I'm no help on what your curious about. But another thing to think about would be warranty & parts availability. Just in case something does break. 

1 hour ago, DieselTech said:

I'm no help on what your curious about. But another thing to think about would be warranty & parts availability. Just in case something does break. 

That's a good point. The Weaver Cub and the Cowboy Outlaw both advertise as being made in USA. I don't know about the Tippmann Boss. That could mean parts are more readily available but more than likely it depends on the distributor of these machines for this. I wouldn't want to get something made in some remote place where parts might be hard to find. If anyone has any input on this, it would be appreciated, too.

Will, 

Here is my take. The Tippmann Boss is made in Fort Wayne Indiana. I am sure not all the parts on any of these are all totally made United States, but all three are ordered in the United States and should have access to parts if needed. I had one of the old original cast iron Bosses, and it paid me back many times over. They were always there with parts and service for anything I needed. When I sold it I had it shipped to them for refurbishing and they shipped it on to the new buyer with a full as new warranty. I'm not sure if they still do that. I have helped a few people set up the aluminum body ones. One just would not sew consistently, the others were okay. Tippmann at that time was good about replacing them but that has been a few years ago. Word-of-mouth has been okay on the Weaver Cub. The Cowboy Outlaw looks to be a good machine and one guy I've talked with likes his a lot. Toledo has a good reputation for service and advice for years, and if I was looking I wouldn't hesitate to call them first.

I've had a Boss since basically 2000 . . . could not guess how much I've sewn on it . . . belts, holsters, purses, knife sheaths . . . etc.

The others may have a good warranty  . . .  it will not be better than Tippmann . . . from my experience.

I live close enough to be there in a couple hours . . . for less money than I could ship it . . . so for the few times I've had trouble . . . I've loaded it up and taken it there.

Ben or one of the others cleans off a work bench . . . and go to work on it . . . I bring it home . . . and go back to work . . . and have never been charged.

Hard to beat . . . especially since they did have to replace a part here or there.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've had Boss for just over a year. No problems. No complaints. One thing I like about it is its small 'foot print' on my desk. Takes up less space than my Singer 99

12 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

I'd like to keep price out of this since I'll decide on what it's worth to me after I can compare the benefits and drawbacks for all three.

When I compared the three machines I was going to order the Outlaw but decided against purchasing one in the end. I purchased a TSC-441 clone instead. My reasons were:

i) After much thought I figured I couldn't see myself pulling the lever over and over to create a stitch. Then the machine wouldn't get used as often so it would just gather dust or I'd end up selling it. I guess I'm the "lets getter done type".

ii) Greater availability of accessories and parts from a lot of different suppliers both domestically and from overseas.

iii) All of the machines have a small usable throat space of something like 8 to 10 inches.

All that said these machines do have there place but neither were the right machine for my needs / wants / desires.

kgg

Edited by kgg

11 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

Will, 

Here is my take. The Tippmann Boss is made in Fort Wayne Indiana. I am sure not all the parts on any of these are all totally made United States, but all three are ordered in the United States and should have access to parts if needed. I had one of the old original cast iron Bosses, and it paid me back many times over. They were always there with parts and service for anything I needed. When I sold it I had it shipped to them for refurbishing and they shipped it on to the new buyer with a full as new warranty. I'm not sure if they still do that. I have helped a few people set up the aluminum body ones. One just would not sew consistently, the others were okay. Tippmann at that time was good about replacing them but that has been a few years ago. Word-of-mouth has been okay on the Weaver Cub. The Cowboy Outlaw looks to be a good machine and one guy I've talked with likes his a lot. Toledo has a good reputation for service and advice for years, and if I was looking I wouldn't hesitate to call them first.

Thanks, Bruce. That's exactly the input I'm looking for.

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

I've had a Boss since basically 2000 . . . could not guess how much I've sewn on it . . . belts, holsters, purses, knife sheaths . . . etc.

The others may have a good warranty  . . .  it will not be better than Tippmann . . . from my experience.

I live close enough to be there in a couple hours . . . for less money than I could ship it . . . so for the few times I've had trouble . . . I've loaded it up and taken it there.

Ben or one of the others cleans off a work bench . . . and go to work on it . . . I bring it home . . . and go back to work . . . and have never been charged.

Hard to beat . . . especially since they did have to replace a part here or there.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks, Dwight. This helps.

8 hours ago, fredk said:

I've had Boss for just over a year. No problems. No complaints. One thing I like about it is its small 'foot print' on my desk. Takes up less space than my Singer 99

Space is a consideration, too. Thank you for this.

4 hours ago, kgg said:

When I compared the three machines I was going to order the Outlaw but decided against purchasing one in the end. I purchased a TSC-441 clone instead. My reasons were:

i) After much thought I figured I couldn't see myself pulling the lever over and over to create a stitch. Then the machine wouldn't get used as often so it would just gather dust or I'd end up selling it. I guess I'm the "lets getter done type".

ii) Greater availability of accessories and parts from a lot of different suppliers both domestically and from overseas.

iii) All of the machines have a small usable throat space of something like 8 to 10 inches.

All that said these machines do have there place but neither were the right machine for my needs / wants / desires.

kgg

Thanks. I don't have enough use to justify an electric at this time but who knows, maybe some day I will.

20 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

I've been thinking about getting a hand operated Sewing Machine

@MarshalWill

One of our members just placed an ad for a Cowboy Outlaw for sale. Here is the post.

I recently purchased a Cowboy Outlaw. I really like it. It came with attachments in the box and a few small spare parts and bobbin. Its built very sturdily and seems to do what I want it to.  The manual with the machine is ok, could use some more detail but informative. It will, as with all machines take adjustments for type and weight of materials being sewn to perform at peak. That part is pretty straight forward and covered reasonably well in the manual. Not sure you can call this a professional machine, but in my world as a hobbiest, this thing is built like a tank and is very reliable and consistent with a small amount of practice.

3 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

@MarshalWill

One of our members just placed an ad for a Cowboy Outlaw for sale. Here is the post.

Thanks for the heads-up. I checked that ad. The price is good but shipping 80 lbs from SC to CA would probably bring the cost up to that of a new one. I wish I was closer.

1 hour ago, Sinbad395 said:

I recently purchased a Cowboy Outlaw. I really like it. It came with attachments in the box and a few small spare parts and bobbin. Its built very sturdily and seems to do what I want it to.  The manual with the machine is ok, could use some more detail but informative. It will, as with all machines take adjustments for type and weight of materials being sewn to perform at peak. That part is pretty straight forward and covered reasonably well in the manual. Not sure you can call this a professional machine, but in my world as a hobbiest, this thing is built like a tank and is very reliable and consistent with a small amount of practice.

Yeah, all machines take some adjustment for whatever you're using it on. I am leaning toward the Outlaw since the other two are made of aluminum, now.

I've had an aluminum Boss for almost 6 years now, no problems with it. It has paid for itself many times over.

3 hours ago, Charley1 said:

I've had an aluminum Boss for almost 6 years now, no problems with it. It has paid for itself many times over.

That's good to hear. It opens up the field a little. Thanks for that.

11 hours ago, MarshalWill said:

Thanks for the heads-up. I checked that ad. The price is good but shipping 80 lbs from SC to CA would probably bring the cost up to that of a new one. I wish I was closer.

When I ship them double-boxed they weigh 52 Lbs (the extra box & packing weigh 6 lbs) he might want to re-check the weight because he's way off.

I'm going to have to put this purchase on hold for a little while. Things move forward in their own time. It looks like I'll be moving and will get a machine after that. It doesn't make sense to get something else to pack up to move. Thank you all for the great input. Your contributions will make getting a machine much easier when the time comes.

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

When I ship them double-boxed they weigh 52 Lbs (the extra box & packing weigh 6 lbs) he might want to re-check the weight because he's way off.

Thanks for this. It's good to know they don't weigh that much.

21 minutes ago, MarshalWill said:

Thanks for this. It's good to know they don't weigh that much.

It's possible he made a wooden crate for it & that's why it so heavy?

20 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

It's possible he made a wooden crate for it & that's why it so heavy?

That could do it. A wooden pallet can weigh upwards of 50 lbs, and that's just a pallet.

After reviewing the pros and cons, plus reading other threads, When the time comes, I'll most likely go with the Cowboy Outlaw. Thank you all for your great input.