SUP

Pet peeves - Ugh!

We all have our pet peeves. I wonder if there are some that are more 'popular' as pet peeves than others.

These are mine - first and foremost - finishing the edges!

I don't mind veg tanned leather - that is actually simple compared to finishing the edges of chrome tanned leather. That, no matter how smooth, looks tacky. So it ends up being a beautiful product with tacky edges, at least to my eyes. And I do match colors etc. as much as I can too.

Another one? Bought patterns in which the stitching holes are always too big for the recommended thread - so I match the color well and it looks like an item with lines of holes everywhere!!!

Used to be cutting leather but now, with my trusty box cutter, I am delighted. My beautiful, expensive, round knives have pride of place on the wall, looking pretty...

Love to hear what all of you have as pet peeves.:)

One I can think of; on bought-in patterns with prepared sewing holes marked, the holes don't align 

Oh yes! Forgot that one. :)

21 hours ago, fredk said:

One I can think of; on bought-in patterns with prepared sewing holes marked, the holes don't align 

Yep, that ones a beaut! Terrible PITA!

Bought a Tandy kit once where the dome fastener was on the wrong side of the leather... :rolleyes2: Haven't made that particular kit yet, but will just cut out a new piece of leather (it's a SMALL piece, fortunately) and put a dome facing the correct way. Hopefully, it will match with the female part of the dome it's supposed to fit into.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Thank you @Sheilajeanne I will watch out. I was just wondering whether to buy one of their kits. 

My favorite peeve is buying a beautiful piece of leather (regardless of where) . . . grabbing it later for a project . . . and finding a "hard" place in it . . . just exactly in THE wrong place for the project I've already started cutting for.

I work around it . . . but it burns my gizzard.

May God bless,

Dwight

@Dwight When I came across my first one,  my knife ran over the ruler and ... blood sacrifice.  How can we recognize these? Only when cutting? and what are they, these hard areas? 

2 hours ago, SUP said:

Thank you @Sheilajeanne I will watch out. I was just wondering whether to buy one of their kits. 

This was a kit for a change purse they were discontinuing, so I think they didn't care anymore. I also had trouble getting the holes to line up, which is probably why I haven't done the other kit I bought. I did notice the problem with the dome, though.

I haven't had too many problems with Tandy kits. The leather sometimes isn't the best quality, and they punch REALLY large holes in the projects. You won't like the holes if you're planning to sew, BUT if you're lacing, your poor, blistered fingers will sometimes wish the holes were even bigger! :wacko:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

1 hour ago, SUP said:

@Dwight When I came across my first one,  my knife ran over the ruler and ... blood sacrifice.  How can we recognize these? Only when cutting? and what are they, these hard areas? 

If you find out the answers . . .  let me know . . . :lol:

May God bless,

Dwight

@Sheilajeanne Looks like Tandy hopes people who prefer either will buy their kits.!

@Dwight :) I know why you laughed! There is nothing about it online! Hmmm.  I wonder if anyone on this site can enlighten us...

I can't say that any of those have ever caused me a moment of grief. Maybe it's just me, but none of those are a problem.

Its not a problem, its an annoyance

A pet peeve of mine... In other makers work, when they make a beautiful pancake sheath or holster... But they dont slick the edges inside the belt slots!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

This was a kit for a change purse they were discontinuing, so I think they didn't care anymore. I also had trouble getting the holes to line up, which is probably why I haven't done the other kit I bought. I did notice the problem with the dome, though.

I haven't had too many problems with Tandy kits. The leather sometimes isn't the best quality, and they punch REALLY large holes in the projects. You won't like the holes if you're planning to sew, BUT if you're lacing, your poor, blistered fingers will sometimes wish the holes were even bigger! :wacko:

When I started doing leather stuff, I bought some Tandy kits.  It was good to get a feel for how to put things together.  Since then, I've bought others but the first thing I do with them is to make a pattern from them!  I put the kit together to learn where the "sticking points" are in assembly and other details, and also use them to try out my first thoughts on decorating and colors.  They generally come out OK, but what follows is usually much nicer when I use the templates to cut out my own version, use proper chisels to make sewing holes, and any other changes!

The kits they sell tend to be attractive, nicely proportioned, solid designs that are then buggered up with huge stitching holes, the simplest possible way to attach hardware, etc.  There are a lot of relatively simple improvements to be made by anybody with some experience under their belt.

- Bill

@billybopp yes many of the Tandy patterns are nice. Never bought a kit yet because I'm too busy drooling over leather sides and can never resist buying them and then have to use them! At lease willy-nilly I learnt to cut and design. 

The large stitching holes -  I suspect because the kits are usually bought by new hobbyists or people who do leatherwork only occasionally, it makes stitching easier and doesn't scare them away. Many sellers do that, even on Etsy. A pet peeve of mine as well! :)

Edited by SUP

Billybop, exactly what I do, too! I think their kits are overpriced, and I can make the same item much cheaper if I make a pattern and cut the leather myself. I really dislike the amount of lacing needed for some of Tandy's kits, so then I can stitch rather than lace, if I choose to. I use the cardboard from old cereal boxes to make my patterns. Being somewhat skilled with drawing, I also often put my own choice of decoration  on the item. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

@Sheilajeanne  I have a pattern from Tandy - a bag displayed in a far-off corner since the 1970s, and gathering a huge layer of dust - they kindly (and looking perplexed - they don't understand why I like it, I don't understand why they don't!) took it down  and let me measure it - I plan to modify the design and make it; it has some nice design features. We don't eat cereal at home, so I bought that huge roll of cardboard stiffener from from Tandy - very inexpensive - and am using that. Difficult to cut but it will probably last well. Plan to design it with Inkscape as well. It is free and my anti-virus is fine with it..  :) I like your idea of putting one's own decorations - not sure I am very skilled there but I can always try, I guess. 

Edited by SUP

@SUP, Since you live in a "cereal free zone", I might recommend "railroad board" poster board.  I got mine from Amazon.  Works good for patterns.  JM2C,  Jim

Thank you for that suggestion. @jrdunn I'll try that once I run out of the cardboard stiffener I got from Tandy.  It's a huge roll.

19 hours ago, Cattleman said:

A pet peeve of mine... In other makers work, when they make a beautiful pancake sheath or holster... But they dont slick the edges inside the belt slots!!!!!!

I agree! I had a local wood turner make me a burnisher and had him include a pointed end that I could do belt slots with.

Heh, never heard of railroad board before!  Will have to look into it.

8 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Heh, never heard of railroad board before!  Will have to look into it.

It just seems like thicker poster board to me.  I think mine was called 6 ply.

@Hags, @Cattleman You get slim wooden burnishers these days which work for belt slots. I got this off Amazon a few months ago.

Slim wooden burnisher.png

Edited by SUP

I use the shafts of screwdrivers

Cheap leather which looks fine till you finish the project and dye it and a big spot in the center wont take any dye.