SUP

Pet peeves - Ugh!

Happens even on expensive leather. I made this Navigator's Board and when I dyed it a lot of wee dots appeared. Bug bites

Rally Navigator's Board, 04LWs.jpg

It was covered in these, bottom left, but only showed up after dyeing

Rally Navigator's Board, 17LWs.JPG

21 hours ago, jrdunn said:

@SUP, Since you live in a "cereal free zone", I might recommend "railroad board" poster board.  I got mine from Amazon.  Works good for patterns.  JM2C,  Jim

I have used vinyl flooring for my patterns. I also used the boxes from Alpo Flavor Snacks that my dog really liked. The cardboard

Edited by Northmount
removed double entries

My pet peeve atm is that my 'ye ol'de pooter is getting long in the tooth not letting me go on my fave site, this one ,, it was working fine up until a week or so ago, but all of a sudden it stopped connecting to this site.....GRRRR!!! I cleared all the cache , deleted old files , cleared  browser history,  done all the usual, but nup !!  so I'm using a public access computer in town  . So I won't be posting as much as I used to, not until I get a new 'pooter'. That could take a while :( Don't bother replying as I I won't see it, unless you PM me, but I won't  be able to reply to that, grrr!!  

I'll just have to bite the bullet, put on my pith helmet, grab my blunderbuss and go hunting for a new pooter.  

HS

Makes me glad I replaced my computer before it totally stopped co-operating with me. It was just getting really slooooow. When I first logged in in the morning, it would take a good 4 or 5 minutes of refreshing the screen before it would actually connect with a website. Then it would be fine for the rest of the day.

I had to do a refresher program for work online. I've been using a pad for quite a while and only had a quite old laptop. My neighbor replaced the old drive with a solid state drive and I can't believe the difference.  $125. New battery too.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:28 AM, tsunkasapa said:

Edited Sunday at 02:23 PM by Northmount
removed double entries

I STILL do not have the option to edit my posts. THAT is a 'Pet Peeve'.

Paying  for an online pattern. 
but it has no printable instruction,,,only a youtube video.
A video that leaves out some of the steps in critical stitching instructions. 

My 'pet peeve this week, and the last few weeks is that we're experiencing some extreme temps  '. We've had around 50 C quite frequently making it very restrictive , can't do much outside I'll get fried , and only spending 2-3 hrs in the workshop each day . Fans are well and good , up to 35c, anything above that, they struggle. 'One Powerball'.....I'll be investing in some serious air conditioning :yes:

Still using public access 'pooter 'atm. ggggrrrr!! 

HS

On 2/13/2024 at 10:13 PM, GrampaJoel said:

Paying  for an online pattern. 
but it has no printable instruction,,,only a youtube video.
A video that leaves out some of the steps in critical stitching instructions. 

What's the pattern? someone might have one or be able to help.

45 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

My 'pet peeve this week, and the last few weeks is that we're experiencing some extreme temps  '. We've had around 50 C quite frequently making it very restrictive , can't do much outside I'll get fried , and only spending 2-3 hrs in the workshop each day . Fans are well and good , up to 35c, anything above that, they struggle. 'One Powerball'.....I'll be investing in some serious air conditioning :yes:

Still using public access 'pooter 'atm. ggggrrrr!! 

HS

A good hack is hanging some ice cube bags in front of the fan.

My pet peeve is my poltergeist. It makes sure I spend half my life searching for stuff I don't find until I'm looking for something else.

On 2/19/2024 at 10:32 PM, toxo said:

My pet peeve is my poltergeist. It makes sure I spend half my life searching for stuff I don't find until I'm looking for something else.

Or until you buy a new one! :lol:

1 minute ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Or until you buy a new one! :lol:

Oh! You've got one as well!

On 2/24/2024 at 12:53 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Or until you buy a new one!

Its call 'domestic blindness'. Looking for stuff when its right in front of you:whistle:

When I was a wee lad back in Suffolk in  the UK, we had the real deal. Stuff was moving about by it self. Mum thought it was my brothers messing around, but nup. 

Much cooler  the past week or so , but now the eastern states are copping the extreme temps, poor sods. 

HS

So, you actually had a poltergeist?? :o  Wow!

It was around 15 C. yesterday morning, and the s**w was completely gone. Then, temperatures plummeted, wind began to blow, and by afternoon we were back to the deep freeze. It fell to -8 last night, and we've got about an inch (sorry, raised with the British system, so, I mix my measurements!) of the white stuff. Currently the sun is trying to shine, but the snow is still coming down. 

Yeah, I think this meme about sums up our CRAZY weather!!

changing weather.jpg

How Canadians measure things...this REALLY is true, especially for us older folk, who had to switch systems sometime in the late 1960's! I have NO IDEA how tall I am in metres and centimeters, and have yet to see an oven manufactured in Canada that uses Celsius for temperature - that's probably because they're made in the U.S.A.!  Measuring spoons often have  both imperial and metric measurements on them, but no one pays attention to them, unless they were born elsewhere. Having been a nurse, I do know that your standard shot glass/medication cup is 30 ml. and that an I.V. bag holds a litre, unless you add something to it. 

measuring like a Canadian.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I found this to be hilarious.

331076321_512629637702420_5479141659159607250_n.jpg

1 hour ago, tsunkasapa said:

I found this to be hilarious.

One of the major reasons (according to old news and comments from many years ago) was that all the car mechanics would have to buy a second set of tools, same goes for many other trades and manufacturing.  Regardless, since many cars and car parts come from Asian countries that are 'metric', mechanics have had to buy their metric set of tools ... and all the others too!

For measurements, it really helps to be conversant with both systems.  I use mostly American/British units, but can switch to either easily, and yes I know there are a number of difference between American/British (Imperial) units.

I still buy 2x4s, 4x8 panels, etc.  Studs are still 16" on centre, or 24" OC, regardless of whether your are building metric or not.

And dealing with so called imperial/British units, there are many disparities.  I worked on a British built Parsons 5MW steam turbine generator bought and installed before or at the beginning of WWII.  Adjacent to it was a newer model installed shortly after WWII.  Had to have separate sets of wrenches for each, and the threads were different for each as well.  Both machines were the same capacity, and both looked the same externally.  Then they bought European gas turbine generators.  At least they were both the same!

23 minutes ago, Northmount said:

5MW steam turbine generator bought and installed before or at the beginning of WWII.  Adjacent to it was a newer model installed shortly after WWII.  Had to have separate sets of wrenches for each, and the threads were different for each as well.  Both machines were the same capacity, and both looked the same externally. 

Don't we face the same problems with our tools ? 4 mm chisels are all measured from different points, for example and give stitches of different length, depending on the maker. 

I think it is a matter of being 'different' from what came earlier and/or making more money on the other essentials.  Think cell phone chargers.  Thank goodness these need to be of a generic  type now. Thank you EU!

Think American English as well.:) When I first came to the US after a lifetime of British English, it was so much more evident.

Edited by SUP

Another pet peeve -

Ungrateful or rude people - not sure which it is. :mad: I mean people who want help with something and I share what I know and there is neither acknowledgment nor even a response about whether what I suggested worked. That is so rude. I always make it a point to respond to every comment I get, especially when I ask for help. It is basic courtesy! Are people today really so rude and uncouth? And lets not talk about 'having time'. If they have the time to talk about a problem over weeks, they have the time to respond. And it does not just happen on this forum, it seems to be everywhere.

5 minutes ago, SUP said:

Another pet peeve -

Ungrateful or rude people - not sure which it is. :mad: I mean people who want help with something and I share what I know and there is neither acknowledgment nor even a response about whether what I suggested worked. That is so rude. I always make it a point to respond to every comment I get, especially when I ask for help. It is basic courtesy! Are people today really so rude and uncouth? And lets not talk about 'having time'. If they have the time to talk about a problem over weeks, they have the time to respond. And it does not just happen on this forum, it seems to be everywhere.

You have to be a  bit thicker skinned these days. If  not you'll get all bitter and twisted. There's one on here. I spent along time on his problem, sorted out links etc, even put it in a pm so it was private. Not a word came back. No point stressing over it, you just log it. Now you know what that person is like and pray  he really needs help in the future.

25 minutes ago, toxo said:

You have to be a  bit thicker skinned these days. If  not you'll get all bitter and twisted.

That's so true, that one needs to be thicker skinned.  It is not worth getting bitter.  I just put those people in the "Hmmm.. Who?' list.  Along with the nasty or rude ones. Life is too short to waste time on the unpleasant people.  :)

My biggest pet peeve is my own fault but it drives me crazy.  Stamping a border or basket-weave design and I get in a zone.  This leads to working faster than I should.  This leads to not hitting the stamp/border tool squarely and the tool 'jumps'.

Again, my fault but I've launched a few tools across the shop when it happens.

Basket stamping, I have to really talk to myself along the edges especially if the object is not perfectly square.  More often then not I end up putting an impression where I don't want it.  I also second the no response to help/advice offered.  If I try once to help and there is no response back(positive or negative) then I just pass on by the next time that individual is asking.  I don't see that as much on this board as I do on other social media platforms.

Todd