NatesLeatherGds

Line 20 and 24 snaps - post bends

Hello All. I have a job I may be doing with a lot of snaps. I cannot for the life of me get the snaps to remain straight - stud on button. I can get it to flare out correctly and smoothly, but at the final hammer/press -- they bend left or right. I am using 2-3 oz leather and short post line 20 snaps. I've considered all manner of vice type tools, snap presses, etc. But if I have another "engineering" problem with posts too long, no tool will help me, I think. Can anyone tell me if they've solved this problem, and how ?  Or is it in fact, not a problem in post size but I just need the exact tool (a proper snap button bench press). Hammering in usual style is not in the cards -- I have maybe 500 to do :) and need to solve for speedy install. Thanks. 

try using a small Phillips head screwdriver on the post first.  put the tip of the screwdriver in the post and tap gently with just enough force to make four little notches in the post.  Then it should roll down easier with setter. 

6 minutes ago, CJJ said:

try using a small Phillips head screwdriver on the post first.

Thanks - I had done this before, and just tried it again. Nice flare - still ugly bend off to the left/right.  :(

@NatesLeatherGds I use a small manual press, and that has done wonders for me. The fact that it is able to press absolutely straight means that the caps don't flare to either side. Whenever I try it with a hammer I manage to get it slightly shifted no matter how much I concentrate on the job.

An alternative could be a drill press if you have one? you just need to put a small bolt in the jaws and make sure that it is filed flat and smooth at first. 

But I am afraid that you need what you describe as:  a proper snap button bench press

Brgds

Jonas

For what it’s worth, I find my posts bend the most easily when the body of the leather is not sitting flat in the same plane with the snap post. Even if I have the base of the snap piece I’m setting held flat to the anvil, once I shift to only applying pressure to the setter handle in preparation for striking it with my mallet, the leather shifts out of plane. Then I tend to bend the post, as the post has to adjust to sit flush with the leather surface as it mushrooms. A block or something under the body of the leather near the snap location will help allow the snap to set properly without the post bending. 

All the above assumes the post is the right length, but it sounds like you have that covered already. 

1 hour ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

Hello All. I have a job I may be doing with a lot of snaps. I cannot for the life of me get the snaps to remain straight - stud on button. I can get it to flare out correctly and smoothly, but at the final hammer/press -- they bend left or right. I am using 2-3 oz leather and short post line 20 snaps. I've considered all manner of vice type tools, snap presses, etc. But if I have another "engineering" problem with posts too long, no tool will help me, I think. Can anyone tell me if they've solved this problem, and how ?  Or is it in fact, not a problem in post size but I just need the exact tool (a proper snap button bench press). Hammering in usual style is not in the cards -- I have maybe 500 to do :) and need to solve for speedy install. Thanks. 

Nate . . . I'm 79 yrs old . . . have neuropathy in my hands and feet . . . along with a tad of arthritis.  Snaps were an absolute pain for me the last couple of years . . . 

UNTIL . . . 

I was in an Amish fabric shop up near Mansfield, Ohio . . . saw these snap pliers . . . bought em . . . HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK . . .

I actually only bought one set the first time up there . . . but I got sick and tired of swapping out the male setting set for the female setting set . . . so I bought another set of the pliers . . . now I just grab one . . . then the other . . . then hang them back up.

They have never done a bad job on my snaps since I got them almost 2 yrs ago.

I think I saw them also in Hobby Lobby . . . 

Anyway . . . they work great . . . and while I didn't do it . . . they are fixed up so you can drill a hole in your work bench . . . run a wire down to a pedal . . . and you can hold the piece with both hands while you step on the pedal . . . setting the snap.

Each set of pliers was about 40 bucks . . . and the set of line 24 snaps setters . . . was 20 bucks.  You have to buy the setters separate.

May God bless,

Dwight

leather snap pliers.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dwight said:

and the set of line 24 snaps setters

Thanks all so far!

Dwight, this looks promising. Question; this looks like its for segma/spring type snaps. But you say it works for the line 24? Ever used it for line 20 ? Thanks!

You have been provided great info.  There is more than one type of snap. DOT and Fastsnaps have a more domed head than chinese line 24 snaps. They will work on either style tool but may disrupt the top of the domed head.

12 minutes ago, ljk said:

You have been provided great info

For sure! And thanks to everyone! I am working the issue with the suggestions and should be able to dial things in.

2 hours ago, NatesLeatherGds said:

Thanks all so far!

Dwight, this looks promising. Question; this looks like its for segma/spring type snaps. But you say it works for the line 24? Ever used it for line 20 ? Thanks!

No . . . the leather goods I do . . . get line 24 snaps or a buckle . . . 

Never used line 20 snaps . . . even though I got a bunch of em one time in a trade . . . they gather dust in a little plastic holder.

Hanging on to em just in case

May God bless,

Dwight

You might want to try the one berry king makes. Another thing you can try is using light hits untill the Post is almost seated 

As has been suggested  us a Phillips head screwdriver

another tip is  use a dremel tool and a cut off disc  shorten the post

19 minutes ago, Frodo said:

another tip is  use a dremel tool and a cut off disc  shorten the post

Thot of that.... then remembered I have 500+ snaps. :o But I may have it solved with a good press (as others have advised) thanks again all!

Yes of course the right tool for the right job 

Here is a line 24 being installed on of 4-5oz. Without  bending the post

Would you mind posting  3 pictures like mine of your method?

IMG_1303.thumb.jpeg.60da8c199ec753a11d97a16e4302a660.jpeg 

IMG_1304.thumb.jpeg.f7c5b99bd2ed1097d22f96db2cb1bbdf.jpeg

IMG_1305.thumb.jpeg.8fcf52941d1a0d9c901ec979a9072f3e.jpeg

Hi Frodo, this: Hopefully clear - stud goes/is off center. Again, thanks everyone for the help.

20240314_074732.jpg

That picture kind of looks like the posts might be to long so besides mushrooming, the post has to go somewhere and it’s moving to the side.

2 minutes ago, bladegrinder said:

That picture kind of looks like the posts might be to long so besides mushrooming, the post has to go somewhere and it’s moving to the side.

Yes! Thank you and so that, along with a smooth press, is most likely it.

A press is not going to stop the issue

the post is to long  no matter what you use to compress the post. Be it a press or a hand tool. Unless you first  shorten the post it will go wonky

look at the picture I posted 

IMG_1332.thumb.png.3044ddb829eb0badfc9bbcca4e330713.png

I did not just flare the post,  the post is cut in 4 places  which has made it shorter

have you tried segment snaps?

IMG_1333.thumb.png.73b8a4b5bd0db1c33ef53a5a4a085c6a.png

These are made for thin stuff

Oh, good info. Will try segment snaps next if I need to. Thank you.

Just a follow up

Have used a small grinder to shorten the snap post when using lighter leather, such as 4-5 oz.  Not the best solution for high-volume work, but it does produce a seated snap w/o the bend you have been experiencing. 

These pliers might be helpful when reducing the post...(I got nothing if you get these). I bought these, there are others out there....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L6HJAA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks all. 

I ended up doing 400 ring snaps (fun!). Separately found that glove snaps work pretty good for thinner leather. 

Ffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkk!       First off, glove snaps suck! They have a limited life span and they are made differently today than when they were 25 to 30 years ago. I use line 20/24 snaps because they are better on wear and tear and easier to work with. If the post is too long it will bend or crack because the metal has a limited stretch capability. The post should NOT stick above its mated part or it will bend or split. The post should be slightly lower which limits the amount of metal that needs to be rolled over, limiting bending or splitting. If you needing to make them shorter use a grinder or a belt sander to get your desired length. 
     I made a jig to hold like 15 to 20 snap post. Go to your home improvement store and purchase about 6 or 7 nailers (found with the hurricane straps)  the holes found in these will allow a line 20 to fit loosely in the hole. Line 24 will require that those be made a bit larger than the hole already is, after the holes a made wider clean off the metal wire left by the drill that made the hole bigger. You can then stack the nailing plates (making sure the holes line up) and either tape the edges with good strong duct tape or  use a soldering iron and soldered the edges together so moving is limited. I started out with 3 hurricane straps cut with a hacksaw and improved the design as time went on. 
     I have about 3 different jigs for each size of snap just to have em when I need em. Use a minimum of 3 plates and have jigs with either 4 or 5 plates, maybe even  6 or.7 plates as needed, play around with different thicknesses of leather and you will find that "sweet spot" and making a large number of snaps is easy. Use another plate or wood piece to sandwich in the post so the don't fall out when grinding or sanding. I just might make a video but it is mind numbingly easy to do - unless you're Biden. If you have. Questions I'll be here.