Thadrick

A couple of scabbards

Built a couple Id like to show off. I have deficiencies in one that Ill address on the next one I build.

The scabbard with the brand in it is for my son. 

I dont do horses anymore (they always hurt me) and at my age I dont heal as easy as I used to so both of these scabbards are designed to sling over the shoulder as well as a saddle

KIMG2134.JPG

KIMG2136.JPG

KIMG2137.JPG

KIMG2141.JPG

IMG_20240303_194004.jpg

Both are pretty amazing! Really detailed, and nice tooling. What color is that on your son"s? Very rich looking tone.

Thanks for sharing.

Actually, they are both "british tan" but the leather is from two different cows and the same bottle of dye? I dont know why one was a different shade other than the variables in different cows? My goal was a little lighter on both scabbards.

Then of course the straps are from the same cow yet they are lighter than the scabbard? I really struggle with matching colors.

Nice work! They look great! Beautiful work. 

Do you line your scabbards & if so what do you use? 

Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Nice work! They look great! Beautiful work. 

Do you line your scabbards & if so what do you use? 

Thanks. 

Yes I do, they are both lined with brown suede

Thanks

I have heard that suede is hard on gun metal finishes but other than bark tanned wool I dont know what else to use?

Edited by Thadrick

19 minutes ago, Thadrick said:

Thanks

I have heard that suede is hard on gun metal finishes but other than bark tanned wool I dont know what else to use?

Thanks. I think alot of guys & gals use the suede for lining. 1 high end holster maker uses it, so it cant be that bad. 

26 minutes ago, DieselTech said:

Thanks. I think alot of guys & gals use the suede for lining. 1 high end holster maker uses it, so it cant be that bad. 

Thats good to know, Thanks

1 hour ago, Thadrick said:

Thanks

Any chrome tan, suede included, can accelerate corrosion of gunmetal.  If you don't want to use bark tan wool, then a good lining is a thin veg tan.  It's nice and smooth and compatible with the metal.  Also IME, the loose fibers of suede tend to break off and accumulate in the small recesses of the firearm.  So I would pay close attention to the cleaning and maintenance of your rifles henceforth.

3 minutes ago, TonyV said:

Any chrome tan, suede included, can accelerate corrosion of gunmetal.  If you don't want to use bark tan wool, then a good lining is a thin veg tan.  It's nice and smooth and compatible with the metal.  Also IME, the loose fibers of suede tend to break off and accumulate in the small recesses of the firearm.  So I would pay close attention to the cleaning and maintenance of your rifles henceforth.

Yup, Thats what Ive heard. LOL

cleaning isnt a problem, my firearms are immaculate, especially my long range rifles. 

Does suede harbor moisture also? Seems that it would?

Beautiful work on the scabbards. Suede can hold moisture it also is terrible to collect dust and grit from everything turning it into sandpaper with time. Same with sherling and anything fibery. It looks good but something smooth like a thinner vegtan is best option. The smooth is also alot easier to wipe out to keep the dust and grit from collecting. 

Edited by HandyDave

I picked up 5 or 6 sides of veg tanned sienna a while back, would that be a good choice?

I only have black but maybe I can make a two tone black Grey scabbard next?

Tried a black one. Im not real impressed with it

KIMG2177~2.JPG

KIMG2176~2.JPG

It looks very good, but one of the problems with black is it tends to hide the tooling details. In my opinion brown shades always look "right" on a holster, and you can use dark antiquing if you want to highlight the tooling.

Very nice work. Well done!

6 hours ago, dikman said:

It looks very good, but one of the problems with black is it tends to hide the tooling details. In my opinion brown shades always look "right" on a holster, and you can use dark antiquing if you want to highlight the tooling.

Yeah, I didn't dye the carvings, I just used black antiquing on them but it didn't "pop" like I wanted it to. I even lifted the leaves, still didn't pop.

Thanks for the compliments 

KIMG2173~3.JPG

Very nice.

beautiful work!!!! 

Those are some nice looking scabbards.