thekid77

what type of glue to finish linen thread saddle stitch?

Hello all,

Would anyone be able to share what type of glue they use after backstitching with linen thread?

I know with poly the ends can be burned....

but how do you prefer to lock Iinen?

Thanks in advance!

I lock it with a square knot between the layers of leather. A correctly made square knot will not come undone under normal circumstances, and the knot gets clamped by the leather when I hammer the stitches.  I rarely use glue on knots, but when I do, it's just a tiny dab of white glue.

I use white glue. I use a precision tip applicator bottle to place a small drop precisely in the stitch hole, then cut the thread as close to the leather as possible.

I have been using linen thread for 30 years, never have had to use glue just go back 3 and a half stitches snip thread as close to your work as you can use awl to poke any excess thread into the stitch mark.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

none! you dont need it.

On 4/9/2024 at 12:45 PM, TonyV said:

I lock it with a square knot between the layers of leather. A correctly made square knot will not come undone under normal circumstances, and the knot gets clamped by the leather when I hammer the stitches.  I rarely use glue on knots, but when I do, it's just a tiny dab of white glue.

Thanks for the tip Tony! I prefer to avoid knots though:))

On 4/9/2024 at 8:34 PM, GatoGordo said:

I use white glue. I use a precision tip applicator bottle to place a small drop precisely in the stitch hole, then cut the thread as close to the leather as possible.

Thanks Gato, which white glue do you use?

On 4/10/2024 at 3:55 PM, Northmount said:

Moved to sewing leather

Machine is great for doing tons of work in a short time, but hand stitch is my fav part of leatherwork:))

On 4/11/2024 at 3:30 AM, jcuk said:

I have been using linen thread for 30 years, never have had to use glue just go back 3 and a half stitches snip thread as close to your work as you can use awl to poke any excess thread into the stitch mark.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Thanks for the tip! I have been stitching using poly and burning the ends for more than a decade.....linen *has* come undone for me and I have done exactly what you've recommended.....I've seen some type of white glue being used by different people all over the place.....my guess is because it works....

Linen saddle stitch can work itself free  on an item with use...

Going back to my question....

I was asking what type of glue people use to finish linen after backstitching...

Thanks again for the advice!

On 4/11/2024 at 5:14 AM, chuck123wapati said:

none! you dont need it.

until the thread works itself loose

8 minutes ago, thekid77 said:

Machine is great for doing tons of work in a short time, but hand stitch is my fav part of leatherwork:))

This forum includes both hand and machine sewing.  There is a separate forum for sewing machines where machine types, troubles, how to, problem solving are discussed.

I find back-stitching is enuf but for extra security I sometimes use a dab of UHU glue on the last back-stitch.  UHU is a European tubed contact adhesive

2 hours ago, thekid77 said:

if you do it right the thread won't work itself loose mine never have. Good luck..

12 hours ago, thekid77 said:

Not if your using the correct sized thread for you spi, most of my is with horse tack within the horse racing industry so it get plenty of use and  a lot of abuse along the way as said before never happened to me.

Hope this helps

JCUK

10 hours ago, fredk said:

I find back-stitching is enuf but for extra security I sometimes use a dab of UHU glue on the last back-stitch.  UHU is a European tubed contact adhesive

Surely enuf is spelt with two fs   :lol:

On 4/14/2024 at 1:35 PM, thekid77 said:

Thanks for the tip! I have been stitching using poly and burning the ends for more than a decade.....linen *has* come undone for me and I have done exactly what you've recommended.....I've seen some type of white glue being used by different people all over the place.....my guess is because it works....

Going back to my question....

I was asking what type of glue people use to finish linen after backstitching...

Thanks again for the advice!

In 35 of saddle stitching, I have never had the backstitching work loose. And that includes collars and harness repairs for working sled dogs. And those guys give those items some serious use.

I’ve got a holster with thread and stitch holes that are grossly mismatched, and even then the thread hasn’t worked loose. Linen specifically might be a little more likely to, but properly matched thread and stitching hole sizes seem to eliminate that issue.

If you are doing a long run of hand stitching its best practice to re-wax your thread at some time during your stitching that will also help locking your stitching when back stitching.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

On 4/9/2024 at 1:31 PM, thekid77 said:

Hello all,

Would anyone be able to share what type of glue they use after backstitching with linen thread?

I know with poly the ends can be burned....

but how do you prefer to lock Iinen?

Thanks in advance!

I am curious about Elmers. Someday, I may try it on leather and for thread locking. 

On 4/14/2024 at 1:41 PM, Northmount said:

This forum includes both hand and machine sewing.  There is a separate forum for sewing machines where machine types, troubles, how to, problem solving are discussed.

sorry I didn't specify.....I am specifically referring to hand sewing leather

On 4/14/2024 at 3:42 PM, chuck123wapati said:

if you do it right the thread won't work itself loose mine never have. Good luck..

the thread *can* work itself loose.....and the saddle stitch was done "right".....there's a reason people put a dab of glue after backstitching with linen.....it's the same reason people burn the end of poly at the end of backstitching...

it's because saddle stitch can come loose

On 4/16/2024 at 8:50 AM, tsunkasapa said:

In 35 of saddle stitching, I have never had the backstitching work loose. And that includes collars and harness repairs for working sled dogs. And those guys give those items some serious use.

I have had it come loose....

Why do you think people burn the end of poly thread after backstitching?

Or place a dab of glue at the end....

consider yourself lucky that you haven't had it happen, because can happen and it has happened

2 minutes ago, thekid77 said:

the thread *can* work itself loose.....and the saddle stitch was done "right".....there's a reason people put a dab of glue after backstitching with linen.....it's the same reason people burn the end of poly at the end of backstitching...

it's because saddle stitch can come loose

Your using to small of thread in to big of a hole. But you go on ahead and glue it if you need to. Pull that last stitch up tight and cut close or burn it off it will pull back  into the hole a bit and hide itself never to be seen again. Good luck!!!  But be carefull if your stitch gets loose a little ball of glue or melted thread will hang there and dig into your customer until they come to me to cut it off and fix it.

5 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Your using to small of thread in to big of a hole. But you go on ahead and glue it if you need to. Pull that last stitch up tight and cut close or burn it off it will pull back  into the hole a bit and hide itself never to be seen again. Good luck!!!  But be carefull if your stitch gets loose a little ball of glue or melted thread will hang there and dig into your customer until they come to me to cut it off and fix it.

cool story, lol...

meanwhile, you still haven't answered the question

On 4/16/2024 at 10:40 AM, jcuk said:

If you are doing a long run of hand stitching its best practice to re-wax your thread at some time during your stitching that will also help locking your stitching when back stitching.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Thank you JCUK

Are you making your stitching holes with  chisels or punches?

2 hours ago, thekid77 said:

sorry I didn't specify.....I am specifically referring to hand sewing leather

It was obvious you were referring to hand stitching and maybe you thought this forum was all about hand stitching.  I was letting you know that it included machine stitching too.  No problem.