Sheilajeanne

Good News/Bad News

Good news - I had a certificate that gave me 20% off regular priced items at Tandy for the month of June. So, this being the last week of June, I visited my closest Tandy store in Barrie, Ontario.

Bad news: I was shocked to see that the store's marquee had been blanked out, and that there was a sign on the store door saying they were closing for good. I was about to return to my car, when I saw there was someone inside the store, beckoning to me.

I went inside, and was told the store was about to close for good at 4 p.m. today, and I was going to be their very last customer. :bawling: He was just about to lock the door forever when I showed up.

This is the store that started my leatherwork adventure back in 2015 https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/65312-is-everything-from-tandy-sub-par/page/2/ My mentor, Bill, passed away in 2018, and is greatly missed. The man who helped me with my purchase today is the regional manager for Ontario, and remembers him well and spoke very fondly of him. :rip_1: https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/82652-heres-to-you-bill/?tab=comments#comment-556218

The closing of this store means the only stores close to me will be in either Markham or Mississauga, neither of which are close to where I live (Simcoe County). 

The good news is, with my 20% off certificate I did some serious damage to my credit card, and purchased a very nice side, plus some dye, resist and two spools of thread.

But dammit, Barrie Tandy, I will miss you! :rip_1:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Dang! Sorry to hear that. That really sucks. I’d feel high and dry if my local Tandy closed, and I’d sink a lot of money into materials as well. That’s really too bad, Sheilajeanne. 

Sorry to hear that @Sheilajeanne. I hope you find a good alternative for your future leather purchases.

9 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

and that there was a sign on the store door saying they were closing for good.

That is too bad at least you got a few good deals before they closed. Did they give a reason for the closure or any news about the other two stores?

kgg

11 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Good news - I had a certificate that gave me 20% off regular priced items at Tandy for the month of June. So, this being the last week of June, I visited my closest Tandy store in Barrie, Ontario.

Bad news: I was shocked to see that the store's marquee had been blanked out, and that there was a sign on the store door saying they were closing for good. I was about to return to my car, when I saw there was someone inside the store, beckoning to me.

:rip_1:

Sheilajeanne . . .  I use the one in Columbus, Ohio . . . and know the manager for being a really good guy.  They have put stuff in the mail for me in the past . . . 

I don't have their mailing address . . . but I'll get it for you if you want . . .  and their phone number.  I'm sure Scott would do whatever he could to help you out . . . 

Let me know if you want to try that.

May God bless,

Dwight

don't worry all this stuff that is happening globally is just a crazy conspiracy theory. Plastic shoes and clothes are ok its sustainable leather from nature that is destroying the world.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Plastic shoes and clothes are ok its sustainable leather from nature that is destroying the world.

Couldn’t possibly want to use the resources God actually gave us, instead of the ones we want to create for ourselves, huh?

That sparks a thought. It seems human hubris (if not something palpably evil) is demonstrated in such a mentality that inverts what is good and what is not. God made animals, gave them to us for food and their skins for clothing, yet now the prevailing line amongst those who have the microphone is that those things are abusive, disgusting, and unhealthy, whereas humanly-synthesized plastics and other synthetics are what are really safe for us and the planet. We try so very hard to be God that we ignore and even outright reject His good gifts to us, including in the form of leather. This twaddle about all things non-leather being better makes me want to go make another pair of shoes just to really show them.

All that said, synthetics have their place. Once I get good enough, I plan to make a pair of tall hunting boots using a Vibram lugged sole. Synthetic materials are useful. They’re just not the answer to some made-up ethical dilemma posed by using leather, or the ecological savior (quite the opposite). 

13 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Good news - I had a certificate that gave me 20% off regular priced items at Tandy for the month of June.

Went to the local Tandy a couple weeks ago to get the double shoulder vegtan at this sale price.  None in stock, didn't arrive, you can order it on the web (and pay shipping).  I asked about them ordering it to pick up in the store.  Sure we can do that, you pay the shipping though anyhow.  Not buying that!

I've bought from Tandy here since 1961, through several managers and locations.  Finding I have less interest in purchasing from Tandy with all the changes in the past5 years or so.

If by chance you decide Tandy is your huckleberry, you can order over the phone through Tandy #168 in Cheyenne WY.  They often have in stock what is out of stock online.

They get it shipped our fast also.  

4 hours ago, Northmount said:

Went to the local Tandy a couple weeks ago to get the double shoulder vegtan at this sale price.  None in stock, didn't arrive, you can order it on the web (and pay shipping).  I asked about them ordering it to pick up in the store.  Sure we can do that, you pay the shipping though anyhow.  Not buying that!

I've bought from Tandy here since 1961, through several managers and locations.  Finding I have less interest in purchasing from Tandy with all the changes in the past5 years or so.

This has kinda been the overall impression I've had in the past several years too.  JM2C, Jim

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

If by chance you decide Tandy is your huckleberry, you can order over the phone through Tandy #168 in Cheyenne WY.  They often have in stock what is out of stock online.

They get it shipped our fast also.  

:16:yes and they will call you if there are questions or problems!!! 

Tandy has made more of their staff part-time, so many of the good, knowledgeable ones have left. The Tandy store near where I am, is one of the top 10 grossing stores and they too have just 2 staff members now, and that includes the manager. Naturally they are overworked. They have been looking for more staff but their pay is pretty low and they have not found anyone as yet. Their manager is new and has some great ideas. Hopefully, he will not lose interest  and enthusiasm over time There is a new CEO now. Let's see what she does to increase staff morale and to recruit more people. 

46 minutes ago, SUP said:

Tandy has made more of their staff part-time, so many of the good, knowledgeable ones have left. The Tandy store near where I am, is one of the top 10 grossing stores and they too have just 2 staff members now, and that includes the manager. Naturally they are overworked. They have been looking for more staff but their pay is pretty low and they have not found anyone as yet. Their manager is new and has some great ideas. Hopefully, he will not lose interest  and enthusiasm over time There is a new CEO now. Let's see what she does to increase staff morale and to recruit more people. 

I have heard the CEO can be made to boil over somewhat easily over issues she gets personally invested in. Don’t know what that will mean for the growth of the company, but I have gotten the sense from my local guys that some changes have been made a little precipitously. Hopefully that won’t translate into other hasty business decisions, but it sounds like she’s concerned about cost-saving to protect the bottom line. Not a bad thing in itself, but if that becomes the primary objective, then other business objectives suffer. 

2 hours ago, Mablung said:

but it sounds like she’s concerned about cost-saving to protect the bottom line. Not a bad thing in itself, but if that becomes the primary objective, then other business objectives suffer. 

She used to be the CFO. So not surprising. 

34 minutes ago, SUP said:

She used to be the CFO. So not surprising. 

Bean counters are the absolute worst possible candidates for anything but bean counting . . .  most of em I've met were just above sub-human . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

51 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Bean counters are the absolute worst possible candidates for anything but bean counting . . .  most of em I've met were just above sub-human .

Absolutely true! So we might hear about  more store stores closing. Sad.

I sometimes cannot help but think that management should work with the lower levels of employees to get an idea of the business. The same principles cannot always be applied everywhere.

Edited by SUP

To respond to the folks who suggested ordering from their favourite stores in Wyoming or Ohio, guys, I'm CANADIAN!! Do you realize just how badly you get dinged for cross-border shipping these days?? :( It really is ridiculous!

There are still two Tandy stores within roughly an hour's drive, so I will likely be buying from them, and probably paying to have stuff shipped. But when it comes to actually buying LEATHER, nothing beats hands-on.

I didn't ask why they were closing. I assume the usual reasons - not enough sales/customers. I'd never met the man I spoke to before. He just got pulled into the store to do the dirty work of closing it down. :( Certainly don't envy him his job!

BTW - just remembered my mentor, Bill, was the one who suggested I check out this site back when I was first getting started! Another thing to thank him for, posthumously. :rip_1:

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

To respond to the folks who suggested ordering from their favourite stores in Wyoming or Ohio, guys, I'm CANADIAN!! Do you realize just how badly you get dinged for cross-border shipping these days?? :( It really is ridiculous!

There are still two Tandy stores within roughly an hour's drive, so I will likely be buying from them, and probably paying to have stuff shipped. But when it comes to actually buying LEATHER, nothing beats hands-on.

I didn't ask why they were closing. I assume the usual reasons - not enough sales/customers. I'd never met the man I spoke to before. He just got pulled into the store to do the dirty work of closing it down. :( Certainly don't envy him his job!

BTW - just remembered my mentor, Bill, was the one who suggested I check out this site back when I was first getting started! Another thing to thank him for, posthumously. :rip_1:

Actually,Sheilajeanne . . . you and I are in similar canoes . . . my closest Tandy is basically an hour's drive away . . . and like you  . . . I want to see what I'm getting on the leather.

I'll call Scott and have them send  me conchos . . . tools . . . dye . . . etc . . . but for the skins, I want to see that dude.

I also long ago developed the habit of taking a micrometer with me and buying the thickness of leather I want.  The range of thickness for any skin is pretty broad . . . and I have certain thicknesses I want for the work I do.

Makes life a whole lot easier when I don't have to stuff it thru that little machine that works on the thickness . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

7 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Actually,Sheilajeanne . . . you and I are in similar canoes . . . my closest Tandy is basically an hour's drive away . . . and like you  . . . I want to see what I'm getting on the leather.

I'll call Scott and have them send  me conchos . . . tools . . . dye . . . etc . . . but for the skins, I want to see that dude.

I also long ago developed the habit of taking a micrometer with me and buying the thickness of leather I want.  The range of thickness for any skin is pretty broad . . . and I have certain thicknesses I want for the work I do.

Makes life a whole lot easier when I don't have to stuff it thru that little machine that works on the thickness . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

my closest one here in Wyoming  is over two hours away and two mountain ranges lol. During the 6 months of winter and with the traffic on the interstate during the bad weather make it to dangerous and sometimes even impossible to get to. I buy my liquids in the summer and hope I have enough so they don't freeze in shipping during the winter. I get to buy in person maybe once a year if I'm lucky.

4 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

well your medical is "free" right lol.

@Sheilajeanne, Yes, shipping really adds to the cost, doesn't it?  I believe Rocky Mountain leather supply has discounted  rates for international shipping.  There are a couple of others, if I remember correctly,  but I've not bought anything from them. 

Edited by SUP

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

well your medical is "free" right lol.

Local shipping rates are pricey, too, and when I shipped two small parcels from Ontario to the eastern U.S., it took them about 6 weeks to arrive! :o So, cross-border is a PITA no matter which direction the package is going

Had a much better experience with shipping a teacup from Ontario to Quebec - it arrive intact, and the trip only took a couple of days! 

Enjoying reading this thread  :)

Spare a thought for us  :P

My closest Tandy is in Texas, about 3,500 miles / 12 hours flying - one way  :lol:

Actually, last time I bought leather from Tandy HQ, shipping was reasonable, less than from other parts of the UK, taxes were paid by Tandy and delivery took 6 days. It would have taken 3 but we had a 'bank holiday' weekend which took up three days, no work or deliveries done.

But I agree; you need to choose the leather yourself but I've become used to taking the chance of what is picked out for me, only once I got rubbish (from a Tandy shop in England)

Fred, that's AMAZING!! Only SIX DAYS?? How long ago was that? :o  

I'm more used to hearing stories like mine, where a small parcel took 6 weeks to get from Ontario to somewhere in the North-eastern states, and a package Frodo sent to Romania took nearly FOUR MONTHS to get there!

Was it sent by something other than U.S. Post?

Obviously we have a much smaller country. We have 1st class, 2nd class and Parcel for sending parcels, depending on weight, as well independent couriers. Couriers take longer to deliver and are used only for certain things. Basically, 1st takes one to two days, 2nd takes three to four days, Parcel takes one to four days and couriers take two to five days, last two, depends how much you've paid. And, I believe, we pay a lot less than other countries.

Parcels sent overseas. recently I sent a large parcel to the USA, it arrived on the 4th day after posting. Well before ETA. A small parcel to France arrived on the 2nd day after posting

I've bought leather from that place in Italy. They quoted 7 to 10 days for delivery. I received it on the third day after it was sent

afair, the order from Tandy was about a year ago. That was the last one, I've ordered a few times and the results have been the same. It came by FedEx. But FedEx don't operate here, it is handed over to a 'partner' courier. I was able to track the shipment all the way, but the info was a few hours behind cos it said the parcel was at my local depot as the driver was handing it over to me

afair It was picked up from Tandy at about 17.45 (local time) Wednesday by FedEx, arrived at a FedEx depot at a London airport about 08.30 (local time) Thursday, arrived in Belfast airport about 11.30 Thursday, picked up by the couriers and taken to their depot for customs checking and consigned for delivery on Saturday morning