howardb

Check Writer combo - complete

Well kids, I took as much advise as I could absorb in the critique thread. I've finished both pieces, edged, stitched, sealed, etc. I know they aren't up to the pro level yet, but I learned a ton on these. The biggest lesson? If I buy another Tandy kit, it will be to use as a pattern. They are great to learn on, but I hated trying to line up all the mismatched holes.

I did add one thing to the kit.. The checkbook cover itself was liner and that wasn't going to happen. I added a tooled cover to it rather than the liner. Easier to match up holes when ya punch them fresh... even then I missed one!

Anyway, feel free to ignore them, but here they are.

Brent

100_5020a.jpg

100_5021a.jpg

post-5266-1203477253_thumb.jpg

post-5266-1203477333_thumb.jpg

Edited by howardb

They look great howardb! I especially like your mixing of different styles...celtic plus floral...

I like the pebbly background with the floral too. I like when people step out of the box a little

Nice work!

I too like the use of both floral and celtic!

Keep it up!

Those look great man. I don't know if you made the carving designs yourself or not but i like 'em and i like the colors you used. Well done !!

Good work. You can also use the liners as patterns and make them out of a nice calf skin. Then mark your holes with an overstitch wheel and punch smaller holes Then you wouldn't have to use as heavy a thread. I like to use lighter weight thread on my smaller items, it makes for a little cleaner look. I like your tooling, very nice. Keep up the good work

Howard, AWESOME! Not only did you NAIL the Rose tooling but you really did a great job coloring and shading the whole floral pattern! What paints, and dyes did you use? Great stitching job also!

SWEET!!

Very cool commitment there buddy. I like it.

Howard love the Rose and colors well done they look great, Don

To all, thanks for the great comments! I probably struggled with the kit as much as anything, and if I'd had an endless supply of leather bits, I might have bailed on the kit aspect sooner. The color'd one is the outer shell of the checkwriter (has credit card slots, etc., and the plain one is the actual checkbook cover.

For reference, the rose is Jim Linnell's and can be found on Tandy's website in the free patterns area. I reeeally like it! The celtic knots are from a soft font that is way cool. The triangular ones were simple enough that I hand sketched them, but the intricate pattern came from that font.

Good work. You can also use the liners as patterns and make them out of a nice calf skin. Then mark your holes with an overstitch wheel and punch smaller holes Then you wouldn't have to use as heavy a thread. I like to use lighter weight thread on my smaller items, it makes for a little cleaner look. I like your tooling, very nice. Keep up the good work

Tracy - I finally have all the proper tools to do hand stitching, so look for the next project to look much nicer. This one was definitely lacking some of the proper prep steps, especially with the bad hole issues.

I have trouble finding ANY thread, so I will probably continue to struggle with the hand stitching. The black thread is very heavy, but I kind of like it. It's made in Mexico and WELL waxed... I tried stripping some off, but it still gooped up while stitching. An iron and paper towel took care of most of it though...

Howard, AWESOME! Not only did you NAIL the Rose tooling but you really did a great job coloring and shading the whole floral pattern! What paints, and dyes did you use? Great stitching job also!

Thanks Scouter. I am using the EcoFlo dyes from Tandy. So far, I like them. I got the sample kit while taking a class from Tony Laier, but would buy more of them as I find which colors I use lots of (red, yellow and green are going fast!).

Best to all,

Brent

Very Nice! what do you use to get the "Pebbly" background?

John

well it's about time! *L* j/k good work on 'em! I like the angled idea for the first one.

They turned out really nice.. thanks for sharing

Nice done Howard!

For your first it's all thumbs up!

Looking forward to see more from you!

Tom

Very Nice! what do you use to get the "Pebbly" background?

John

John,

Why, pebbly backgrounders of course! (hahaha). Seriously, that's what they are... "pebble backgrounders". They are SST tools, marked "Hide Crafters" and numbered PA004 and PA005.

Brent

John,

Why, pebbly backgrounders of course! (hahaha). Seriously, that's what they are... "pebble backgrounders". They are SST tools, marked "Hide Crafters" and numbered PA004 and PA005.

Brent

Thanks, I am in Coeur dAlene Idaho. We seem pretty much limited to Tandy. I need to get more acquainted with the other suppliers...

Again Thanks.

John

Thanks, I am in Coeur dAlene Idaho. We seem pretty much limited to Tandy. I need to get more acquainted with the other suppliers...

Again Thanks.

John

John,

I would give Hide Crafters a call. I know they are going through some changes, but may be able to do a mail order for you or possibly point out the manufacturer. They are still in the PDF catalog at $10 each. I really like them! There's also a PA003; small, like a std backgrounder in a basic 7 kit. I probably need to score one of those too.

Good luck,

Brent

Good job Howard! I think you did an excellent job!

Nice work :thumbsup: ...

The first one on the left...classic,but not so much : the angle and mix flowers with celtic...Nice idea !

Keep going you're doing nice work,i like it :specool:

Howard - Thats some beautiful work.