David

Speed King Bike

I actually had a request to do a seat with that "saddle flower" stuff on it....Biker lingo for something like Sheridan. Here's the catch(s). I had 3 days to do the seat....and it had to be BLACK. Black Sheridan....right..... Oh and the seat pan was a mess, lopsided and twisted.

The bike it was going on was extremely cool however so I gave it a shot.

Here's the result

In case anyone ever asks why I hate black....these shots were taken at the same lighting same exposure....I had no time to try to get better pics of it done.

I was able to hide the lopsidedness of the pan a bit but not completely...

I've included some bike pics also

Dave

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

post-5652-1234561942_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1234561952_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1234561973_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1234561986_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1234562119_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1234562137_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1234562157_thumb.jpg

Edited by David

hey dave cool seat..not your fault he wanted it black..i get that once in a while ,customer wants it black,i try everything to talk them out of it..

nice seat Dave. To bad that black hides all the detail. Green bike Brown would have looked nice. I'm trying to get out of dyeing my next seat all black also. Have you ever tried the vinagaroon for black? Just wondering what you thought of it, since I was considering it for the seat i'm doing and you have given me some great advice in the past and I use the same finish as you.

Scott

Great looking "saddle flower stuff". Black.... :head_hurts_kr: why do they always want to cover up the art?? That is a bitchin' looking old Shovelhead though.

I never tried the vinagaroon, I would probably need a divorce lawyer if I started brewing that stuff up in my leather shop.....

Green bike tan seat, I tried the same approach....no go....same old story

Hey biker what is your favorite color? BLACK

What's your next favorite color? CHROME

And your third favorite color? SKULLS

ya gotta love them biker.....

Great job, oh well they pay the bills. Could this have been with the carving left natural?

SkipJ

Great carving David....maybe you need a sign in your shop that defines contrast...

p.s make sure you add a skull under it so it get noticed..lol

You could try using several coats of resist on the carving, just hit the highlights. Then dye and quickly wipe off the black from the highlights. If it isn't black enough for the customer, you could darken the highlights a bit with antique. Same with the lettering, to get at least some contrast.

You could try using several coats of resist on the carving, just hit the highlights. Then dye and quickly wipe off the black from the highlights. If it isn't black enough for the customer, you could darken the highlights a bit with antique. Same with the lettering, to get at least some contrast.

Good suggestions Tex, Unfortunately when these guys say black, they want it black....and the blacker the better.

Dave

Edited by David

Good suggestions Tex, Unfortunately when these guys say black, they want it black....and the blacker the better.

Dave

Yeah, I kinda figured as much. Still, it just pains me to see you have to cover up all that beautiful carving.

Dave

I'm in that battle myself right now with a customer. He wanted it black or darker if they make something darker than black until he got on my site and saw some of the things that can be done. Seat's been held up for 6 days now while he thinks about it. He's going to let me know today what he's decided.

Great looking seat BTW as always. A true master in the art!

Brent's suggestion was really great but I know EXACTLY the brick wall that you were running into. Black means blacker than a coal yard at midnight.

The carving is beautiful and the old school bike looks great. I would love to see that sled fully dressed.

:You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon::You_Rock_Emoticon:

The bike is now fully dressed and on display at the EasyRiders show in Columbus Oh this weekend. I'll try to get some pics of it after it returns.

Dave

I made a comment in chat the other night ..... actually I was joking but I'm beginning to think seriously about it.

I have a pretty much fixed price for seats......It they want me to ruin it with black, I'll add $100. I wonder if that would make anyone think about it?

Dave

Edited by David

It they want me to ruin it with black, I'll add $100. I wonder if that would make anyone think about it?

Dave

LOL Prob'ly not ;0) People who build custom bikes are every bit as fussy as we are about their finished product. Don't take it (customer wanting black) as a slag on your work guy cuz a) your work is fantastic :0) and B) it's just a bike thing. LOL

I'm pretty big about subtle whenever I do anything to my bike. IE: you'll never see any of those LED's glowing under my gas tank. I will likely do a custom paint job on the bike down the road and it will incorporate the ever overdone flames in the design. However, they will be very light and subtle ghost flames. Only someone taking a real close look and appreciating the work will actually see them - like the prize at the bottom of the Cracker Jack box ;0) It's just a personal thing and yes it plays down the art of a job but those who take the time to look closer will "get it" :0)

That said, I'm looking forrward to being good enough at this to be able to pull off the antiquing finishes and burnished look, but for now bike stuff will likely all be done black cuz it hides my booboos ;0) and is easier to maintain with all of the weather and oil/grease etc that bikes are prone to come in contact with ;0)

Beauty seat! :0)

Great carving, David!! Did you paint the tank too?

:specool:

Great carving, David!! Did you paint the tank too?

:specool:

No, I didn't paint the tank, it was done by a fellow with a very small shop in Shandon Ohio.

He does really great custom work.

Dave

Here is the finished bike

Dave

SpeedKingBike1.jpg

SpeedKing2.jpg

SpeedKing3.jpg

post-5652-1235038476_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1235038495_thumb.jpg

post-5652-1235038509_thumb.jpg

Black seat looks good with that paint.

Black seat looks good with that paint.

Black seats never look bad with any color, but it hides the tooling. Even Jeff will now tell you that he should have listened to himself and gone with tan and not black.

Dave

Great work as always David. Killer bike too. I read and commented on another discussion about black seats recently, and the same thought were passed around. Its definatly dissapointing to have to cover your art up.

The seat looks killer. It may be a shame to cover the tooling in black but I have to agree with outcast, it really fits in well with the paint.

Newsflash,

I'm going to re-make the seat. Jeff just doesn't like the look of black on this seat. He has a tan saddlebag and it looks KILLER next to that green paint.....

Keep checking this thread, I'll post the new seat.....it is even going to be a skull! Similar to what is on the tank.....man this makes me feel better about the look of the bike. Jeff is going to remake the pan also..... so it will be new all the way around.

I don't have a lot of time to complete it so I better get to work

Dave