So, I'm looking at the 4 blank things at the top of my Firefox browser screen, and wondering what the hell that was! Probably just Johanna experimenting. Then I had to slap my forehead a good one. As do most Firefox users, I have Adblock installed as an extension... Long story short, I allowed ads for LW.net, now I can see 'em!

If you have adblock, or similar, be a good forum buddy, and allow LW to show you some good stuff.

Kate and I are experimenting with the new ad server. Tandy and Artisan didn't mind being beta-testers. I will post more info as I figure it out. :)

Johanna

I think they would be a better fit if you could place them in between the leatherworker.net main page menu bar and the logged in as menu bar.

i recently noticed that when browsing the LW forum i get a message at the bottom of the browser window saying 'waiting for leatherlady.net..... i am sure this used to say leatherworker.net.....if i type leatherlady.net into the address bar of a new page i get directed to leatherworker.net....

Is this something new or have i been hijacked!!

Johanna is testing ad spaces for the Forum, they are one of the first things to load when your browser is processing the page. She is using the leatherlady url as a separate business identity.

... She is using ... a separate ... identity.

OMG - What will we do with two ... LOL!

We have an ad server running from the domain "leatherlady.net", which is Johanna's "home base" for her web hosting and other business operations. That is where all the new ads for leatherworker.net are going to be delivered from. Hope that clears things up a bit.

Kate

Leatherlady.net is the umbrella for LW and all its sister sites. Kate and I decided that if we were going to do ads, we were going to have our own ad server and host it ourselves, because, hey, you all know what can happen when you type "leather" into a search of anything. :Holysheep: We decided against third-party ad servers, and are counting on our friends with trusted and reputable companies to want space. Please keep giving Kate and me feedback- we're trying to make sure we have everything in order.

Thanks,

Johanna

Sister sites? How do I find these sites?

I am all in favor of having adds to help support things. I actually think this is the best thing, people that want to advertize being provided with a venue to do it, providing the rest of us with this great place. BUT, I find the new adds at the right very annoying. It has narrowed the screan. Can the adds be placed between the sections as we scroll down so the text boxes are not scrunched?

Keep the suggestions coming!

That's the way the admin team gets things better. I'll agree that it's a bit of a change, having the reading area smaller and all.

However, to help with the costs of this site and hopefully ensure a very long run on the internet, it's something to which I'll gladly adapt.

My suggestion along these lines is to split the ad spaces, running them along the sides as margins. It feels a little weird concentrating on the left most 7/8ths of the screen. Having the forum area centered is easier on my eyes. Plus, while smaller, you can fit more per page.

We're ironing out the bugs. Bear with us, please. And please tell the advertisers you saw their ad here- most of these folks have graciously allowed us to use their logos to test the ad server. If enough of you say you saw it, they might buy a spot. We'll get the spacing kinks out soon. Ad revenue means we can expand and bring more features to LW...that's a good thing.

Johanna

Keep the suggestions coming!

That's the way the admin team gets things better. I'll agree that it's a bit of a change, having the reading area smaller and all.

However, to help with the costs of this site and hopefully ensure a very long run on the internet, it's something to which I'll gladly adapt.

My suggestion along these lines is to split the ad spaces, running them along the sides as margins. It feels a little weird concentrating on the left most 7/8ths of the screen. Having the forum area centered is easier on my eyes. Plus, while smaller, you can fit more per page.

I don't think (I may be totally wrong here) that anything is smaller, it is just all squished to the left side, which causes the line to line formating to change. As I stated I am 100% for adds, lots of them. I just think there are better solutions than to cause a format change, or to force us to scroll left to right to see the page. Situate the adds throughout the page, great! But keep for page width formating "standard".

could yo make the "margin ads" long and skinny and put some on both sides? (split the space in two)

that would put the "reading area" back in the middle of the screen.

Joe

I am behind you 100% and Kate and the hole team

Josh

Suze, that's what I was trying to say. Thanks for rephrasing for me. Sometimes, I get a little verbose.

I have a small screen which means I have to scroll more to get to the bottom, but I don't have to move the cursor left and right to see everything - posts and ads. Do some of you have to do that as it stands now?

Twin Oaks

do what I did and put the "page" down to about 7/8 ths of your screen size and just move The whow thing over some on the moniter.

Puts it back in the middle of the screen.

It is going to take some getting used to.

I have a small screen which means I have to scroll more to get to the bottom, but I don't have to move the cursor left and right to see everything - posts and ads. Do some of you have to do that as it stands now?

Yes, on some of the screans, the "page" is wider than the screan, horibly annoying. Not on all of the pages though, not sure why it is differant from one to another. I do not mind having to scroll farther to the bottom, I do mind the width of screan format change.

could yo make the "margin ads" long and skinny and put some on both sides? (split the space in two)

that would put the "reading area" back in the middle of the screen.

Y'know, Suze, sometimes your knack for stating the obvious is precisely what is needed LOL :rofl:

I have been doing that for years with my history website: www.history.uk.com because it presents all kinds of opportunities for advertising and links.

Y'know, Suze, sometimes your knack for stating the obvious is precisely what is needed LOL :rofl:

I have been doing that for years with my history website: www.history.uk.com because it presents all kinds of opportunities for advertising and links.

Thanks Ray

I think..... ;)

Different layouts have different considerations, Ray. Your site looks great, but having a left side menu lends itself very well to inserting ads below the menu without affecting the layout of the main content.

In our case, we have no such structure to make a "natural" open space down the page for advertising on the left. We certainly can put ads along either side, and still haven't ruled that out (or any other change, for that matter). But our original thought was to have site content be the first thing you see on the left. If anything gets pushed off the page in browsers operating at very low resolutions, it should be the ads, not the site content.

Kate

dang....hadn't considered that. Good point Kate.

I think that ads and such is a great way of keeping this welth of knowledge online but...

Am I the only one having a speed problem? It takes forever to get from one page to the next and some topics I can not get up within the time it takes me to get tired waiting (and I do get LW waaaay more time than any other site *S*)

Go LeatherLady, your doing fine:-)