UKRay

Tell us about the place you live

I live in the small town of Stevens Point, Wisconsin, otherwise known as the gateway to the pineries. We have the University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, an awesome place to get smart.

We have the Wisconsin river running 2 blocks from my house. Lots of good fishing and beautiful scenery just a minute away.

Tons of great spots to go where you can hunt for white tailed deer, turkey, ruffed grouse, and migratory fowl, just minutes from home.

We also have a great little brewery here. After spending enough time in the Point brewery, who cares about that other stuff? :)

Come to Cincinnati. I'll pick you up at the airport. Take you out for a 4 way and a cheese coney, then take you back to the airport.

I like Louisville. The General Patton museum at Fort Knox is way cool, and the machine gun shoot at Knob Creek is a definite. There's also a lot of whiskey distillery tours in the area.

I also like West Virginia. It's like Colorado without the tourists.

Montrose is where two of my yaks came from. The most beatiful part of Colorado is just south of there, but around here ain't too bad either.

Regis, you asked for some snow, well you don't have to wait for that, I have it tucked away for a hot summer day. These were taken in April when we had a little bit of snow. Mount Evans is much better populated with wildlife now than it was in the sixties. You should come back and see for yourself.

Leather_pictures_023.jpg

If you look closely in this picture of Mount Eveans, you can see a snow boarder about a third of the way down that steep snow field, off to the right. He gave it up right there, and started walking back up! This one was taken last summer.

yaks_09_002.jpg yaks_09_009.jpgyaks_09_012.jpg yaks_09_013.jpg

yaks_09_010.jpg

A yalk might be interesting to have. Wonder what kind of market there would be for them!

Kathy

post-1462-1246028506_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1246028550_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1246028590_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1246028620_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1246028928_thumb.jpg

post-1462-1246029187_thumb.jpg

Edited by yaklady

Kathy,

Just AWESOME!

Thank you,

Regis

Well, I'd love to say I live amongst verdant pastures and awesome canyons, but the truth is I live in a little ----hole, working class town (although I sometimes wonder how many people are working). Across the street from me is a guy running a fencing company out of his garage. The guy next to him as 3 boats parked out front. The family next to me would put every Jerry Springer guest to shame, then there's the senior citizen housing, with old folks gossiping on their porches all day. Every other house has at least one motorcycle. You get the idea. But, I love them all. I've been here 7 years (the longest I've ever lived in one place and rented this house, which I am now in the process of buying). When I started looking for houses to buy, I realized there is no place I'd rather live than my little ---hole town. I know everyone from the waitresses at my breakfast joint, all the cops, to the guy with the lawnmower repair shop to the boozers enjoying a smoke outside one of the half dozen bars, just one street over.

Sure, I fantasize about a secluded place in the country, and I have lived all over the country, Canada and South America. This is it, the place I could happily live until God comes calling. Besides, where could I find a place where my neighbors tolerate the bikes coming in and out of the driveway at all hours and Motorhead blsting through my open windows. We're a pretty tolerant bunch in my little ----hole town.

Well Ray I am stuck here in the "heart of it all" (tourist slogan) that is Ohio

Johanna and I live about 5 miles apart in tiny little towns of under 3000 people - German heritage, baby. There were several towns that all settled about 1833 from about the same area of Germany.

a few miles down the road is the birth town of Neil Armstrong (and a museum)

life is slow around here - Get married (optional first step) raise babies - work hard - play loose. NEVER question the fans of the high school "whatever" team.

your "little place of 10,000 people" isn't so little to me.

add me to the list of come visit and you will have a room. (Don't stay with Johanna -- her house is "infested" with kids and dogs and cats and a husband) I just have cats......

(I'm still wondering if going to Pennsic War is a smart idea - 10,000 people camping in about 200 acres of land.....But the classes - 972 at last count - how am I going to choose which ones to take????? -- look up www.pennsicwar.org for a sample)

Just a few snaps from what I call home in a nature aspect, be glad I didn't dive into my abstract photos;-)

Tom

071007_h_sttj_rn.jpg

fiskgjuse2.jpg

KM_Angel_05_0005.jpg

web__lgarna.jpg

post-5146-1246056877_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1246056901_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1246056924_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1246056976_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

Wow, Tom! Those are some great shots. Although, any pastime that includes sitting in camping chairs in the middle of a blizzard I have to reject on grounds of insanity.

For my part, I'm in the middle of The Valley in Los Angeles. (Like, totally fer sure.) It's a sprawl of strip malls and corner carnicerias, massage parlors and newstands, Foster's Tasty Freeze and all night bowling alleys, the 101 and the 405 and the 170 and the 118 and 210 all buzzing and roaring and swoooooooshing as cars go by twenty-four seven on their way to God knows where to do God knows what with God knows who, burger stands and fried chicken and taco bells and bbq and pizza and beer and 7-11 on every corner (sometimes twice), and overpriced gas stations and body shops and EZ money discount auto trade in - family owned and operated since 1974, airports and carports and bustops and helipads, strip clubs and doughnut shops where cop cars stand an all night vigil, parks and recreation, miniature golf and ski-ball arcades, bums, pimps, gangstas, cops, and me. And a Tandy Leather on Sherman Oaks by Sepulveda, just a mile or so away. It ain't heaven, but I like it well enough.

Wow, Tom! Those are some great shots. Although, any pastime that includes sitting in camping chairs in the middle of a blizzard I have to reject on grounds of insanity.

For my part, I'm in the middle of The Valley in Los Angeles. (Like, totally fer sure.) It's a sprawl of strip malls and corner carnicerias, massage parlors and newstands, Foster's Tasty Freeze and all night bowling alleys, the 101 and the 405 and the 170 and the 118 and 210 all buzzing and roaring and swoooooooshing as cars go by twenty-four seven on their way to God knows where to do God knows what with God knows who, burger stands and fried chicken and taco bells and bbq and pizza and beer and 7-11 on every corner (sometimes twice), and overpriced gas stations and body shops and EZ money discount auto trade in - family owned and operated since 1974, airports and carports and bustops and helipads, strip clubs and doughnut shops where cop cars stand an all night vigil, parks and recreation, miniature golf and ski-ball arcades, bums, pimps, gangstas, cops, and me. And a Tandy Leather on Sherman Oaks by Sepulveda, just a mile or so away. It ain't heaven, but I like it well enough.

Aww Schno, you allready know the key to endure this....whisky!!!

Thanks man!!

Anywho, I just popped into this thread to display with pics again. Just took theese on my son. 5 images grabbed over one second. Clock is half past eleven in the evening and it's still bright enough for me to do whatever I like with the camera in regards of shutter speeds and aperture. Shutter speed 1/30s F4 ISO400 and handheld camera here.

Happy son but soon he'll be happier, I'm gonna treat him with that smoked reindeer heart we bought today. Reindeers are further north than I am so it's not every day we eat it. HE loves odditys in food so very excited about it!!!

Tom

IMG_9727.jpg

IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_9729.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

IMG_9731.jpg

post-5146-1246135942_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1246135952_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1246135961_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1246135970_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1246135979_thumb.jpg

I have lived in 7 different states and can tell you about California sunsets off the beach and the Colorado aspens turning gold after the first frost. There is the bustle of business in the Pike Place Market of Seattle during the summer and the Bravo of Texans year round. The history and laid back atmosphere of Santa Fe, New Mexico, and the amazing site of seeing the Mississippi River flow past you. Now I find myself in the high desert of Southern Arizona and watch sunsets with colors that pictures don't do justice. Tombstone is 20 minutes away, the City of Bisbee shows off its 1800's heritage and then there is Ft. Huachuca (waa-chew-ka), home of the Buffalo Soldiers.

ryano- we're almost neighbors. I live near St Marys.

My village has 900 people in it. We have two churches, a Post Office, bank, market, pizza place and a gun store. I have been researching the Miami Erie Canal and Susie's town with my mother, and we have written a couple of books about New Bremen. The Interstate, trains and canal all missed my village.

Here are pics I have taken from all over- but a lot of the ME Canal series is in there. I have lived in Ohio, PA (south of Pgh.), NH (near Lake Winnipesaukee), MA, NY (NYC), Charleston, SC, Norfolk,VA, MD, Macon, GA and back to Ohio. I like West Virginia, too- and I would love to live there, somewhere near the New River by Beckley, if I could. I also would go back to New England or Charleston, SC to live. I'm done with city life, though- and I know Wade would hate it. Good topic!

Johanna

not to mention that Johanna told all of us that she was never moving again

If she wants to live somewhere else they are going to have to move the house with her.....

HI CUZ!

I have lived a few places but I am a native Arizonan. I lived in Rome, NY for a year and a half. The Hudson River valley is beautiful and visiting NYC was a highlight. For three years I lived near Munich Germany in a smallish farming community. The view of the far off Alps and the wonderful warm people make this a fond spot in my heart. Check out the hops fields when you visit and have an Erdinger Weissbeir, The BEST weiss in the world! :P:cheers:

I am back in my homeland and it is familiar and...well home. The traces of the old Butterfield stage line run through the desert not too far away and in a short drive I can be in the mess that is the metropolis of Phoenix. We do have four seasons here too but you have to drive to see them! seriously the seasons here are hot, not so hot, warm and oh my god it is 122~!

Ray if you are ever in the area feel free to say howdy and there is beverages, conversation and a place with us.:cowboy:

Edited by TTcustom

well i live in a small town on the island of Hawaii. i live about 15 miles from the volcano. we have rain forests,and deserts,we also have two mountains one is the longest in the world and the other is the tallest mountain below sea level.in our winter months they have snow on them.so you can go snow skiing. and then go to the beach for a swim in less than a hour..

mauna-kea-looming-over.jpg

rainbow-falls.jpg

the-steam-plume-from.jpg

the-view-just-outside.jpg

post-4221-125222475057_thumb.jpg

post-4221-125222477281_thumb.jpg

post-4221-125222481299_thumb.jpg

post-4221-125222483583_thumb.jpg

Edited by hiloboy

Home is where my wife is. She is in NE Indiana 4 miles from a stop sign that when two people show up at the same time, that's a traffic jam. I live in a truck, cross country driver. I only get home four to six days a month(not all at once) I have lived in three corners of the US. Key West,FL, Imperial Beach,CA and Bremerton,WA

If you want to see pics out the "office" window they can be seen here.

Traveling with Kate and Molly

Ray they aren't hunting dogs, but I trained these for a living for 10 years,but in your part of the world I'm sure they are quite common.

Another web site with lots of dog pictures.

Edited by somewhereinusa

I live in Hannover, Germany ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannover ) and took yesterday some pictures when drove back home from the flea market. I found there an old edger size 4 :dance:

The flea market at the river Leine with sculptures "Nana" by Niki de St.Phalle . It is close to the oldest part of Hannover.

flohmarkt 12sep09.jpg

I live at the south end of the lake Masch and the easiest way reach the city centre is by bicycle.

Between the flea market and the lake is a small park with the new Townhall.

rathaus 12sep09.jpg

The north end of the lake.

maschsee 12sep09.jpg maschsee2 12sep09.jpg

Almost at home....

maschsee3 12sep09.jpg

This is the greenest part of Hannover, there are also other sides of the town I don't like that much.

Gesa

post-130-125286137936_thumb.jpg

post-130-125286440835_thumb.jpg

post-130-125286637027_thumb.jpg

post-130-125286640069_thumb.jpg

post-130-125286642415_thumb.jpg

My wife (MaggieS) and I, live on Florida's "Space Coast" and have now for about 30 years. We're about 15 minutes away from Kennedy Space Center, about an hour south of Daytona Beach, an hour east of Orlando, only about 20 minutes from Cocoa Beach (25 minutes to Dave's (DCKnives) house). We can watch them light the fuse on the Space Shuttle, then walk outside in the front yard and watch it until it's out of sight. We take it for granted because we see it every time, but I'm still mesmerized by the pure brute force it has. The windows shake and the sky rumbles. You can feel it in your chest... It's breathtaking!

DSC00016.JPG Here they're lighting the fuse ....

P1010397.JPG This one shows the VAB (Vehicle Assembly Building). Just to get an idea of the enormous size of the VAB: (Height: VAB - 160meters (525 ft), Height: Statue of Liberty - 93 meters (305 ft)) Almost twice as tall as Lady Liberty! Here's a link to learn more about it.

P1010418.JPG On a clear day, you can watch it until it's almost in space!

DSC00010.JPG Here's a night shot! It lights up the skies like sunrise!

If anyone is interested, I could post some pretty cool "insider" pics of the new Aries Rocket... Just let me know...

post-6344-125292998345_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125292999315_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125293000576_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125293001746_thumb.jpg

Edited by TroyS

I thought I'd bring this post back to life.

I've lived all over from Iowa, Alaska to Hawaii and many stops inbetween. I currently live in Florida but my heart is in Montana where we left 1 1/2 years ago.

Montana-315.jpg

Kootenai Falls, Montana (that's my wife and daughter on the swinging bridge)

Montana-107.jpg

Glacier National Park-30 miles from where we lived

Montana-037.jpg

Glacier National Park

Montanacopy.jpg

Glacier National Park

Montana-005.jpg

Glacier National Park-The Weeping Wall-Going To The Sun Road

Montana-040.jpg

Whitefish, Montana

Edited by Tnoisaw

All I can say is Montana looks spectacular! I can't say as I blame ya for wanting to be there! Beats the hell outta this sandbar we call home...

Troy

You know, we're only about an hour from each other!

i come from sheffield england the once home to steel and cutlery now days theres not much of the industrey left .its a good place to live , i live just down the road from the manor lodge where mary queen of scots was held in captivity till she was took to london and beheaded

Kathy,

That is just beautiful. Especially from here (sweltering at 95+degrees & 95%+ humidity) near the beach. I did some hiking on Mount Evens in fall of 1962. Loved it then and probably would today. Better watch them elk or one day you might see a Yalk :nono::lol:

Thank you for the pictures and please post some when it is beautifully white too. Love the snow (as long as I don't have to dodge traffic)

Regis

Since you asked for snow, Regis, here's a little. I'm ready for it to all go away! I saw a guy the other day loading his truck with snow. I wish he would come to my house to get some.

P1020502.JPG

This is the bathroom on top of Vail Pass. My daughter and I took a drive up there the other day.

P1020503.JPG

This is the nice view from the bathroom.

Glass thing cover 005.JPG

This is Black Mountain. I live at the foot of it.

P1020514.JPG P1020515.JPG

Here's the snow at our house. We won't have to stop if it snows any more.

On our way back from the bathroom, we went past the Mount Evans road. They close it off for the winter by pushing all the snow in the road. I bet it was 10 feet high.

I hope it's warm where you are!

Kathy

post-1462-126912745351_thumb.jpg

post-1462-126912748587_thumb.jpg

post-1462-126912752359_thumb.jpg

post-1462-12691275467_thumb.jpg

post-1462-126912756566_thumb.jpg

Look, now we don't have to stop!

P1020521.JPG

post-1462-126948561785_thumb.jpg

This is where I take up space

my pictures 1.jpg

my pictures.jpg

This is my summer digs,17 miles on a gravel road out of Westwood,Ca

ruff out.jpg

At home in Los Molinos,Ca.

post-11588-126949147415_thumb.jpg

post-11588-126949154272_thumb.jpg

post-11588-126949175404_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure how I missed this, but it's a very interesting thread. I live in one of the first totally planned communities built after WWII, Here's a history . I'm about 20 miles upriver from Philadelphia, with its rich Continental history, Independence Hall, The Liberty Bell, and the new Constitution Center. I'm 5 miles from Trenton, N.J. which shares alot of that history. I'm about 30 miles from Holly's old stomping grounds of the Flemington, NJ area. I like the fact that I can drive an hour and be sitting on the beach, or be on some of the finest trout streams this side of the Mississippi. Drive an hour and a half and I can be in New York City. It's a very congested area, but I like to call it home.

Well now You need to visit here in Lutz,Florida. Most of the shine was cooked here.Can show you where the "R" men ran a Modle t into a pond

It is still there Show you old olld Orange trees are that are still living where there was butiful groves. Did not need a store growing

up had all the Juice you needed. Just pull and peel. Still have the old school house and a lot of orginal familys still here.

Old time Tampa Mob new where to go to get things done. This was old time Cracker country. Still have an old timer who can snap a bull whip,

smoke out of your mouth--Takes three tries now. No takers for that trick except " no nose Jack ' Arnt no gators They done been ate.

Crime -no problem- we keep things real close. Most people done away with rifles and pistols-gone to short guns. Eye sight you see.

We have those low slung windows-- Good for spitten- keeps skeeters away. Don"t need ID card-havent seen a badge in a month.

Come enjoy bring your teeth for the eaten that goes on. If you forget them all you gone to get is mash taters.

Stewart

Ps Bring own cup for drinking we keeps ours full.