i wanted to carve something that was challenging...so here it is. There is still some finishing to be done but the sun was out so i took a photo. I think i will be making it into a bill and cheque book holder. The problem now is how to dye it... i wish i could give it to tina to dye black and then do those wonderful highlights she does. After about 8 hours carving i might just look at it for awhile before getting up the courage to put dye to leather, i really dont want to have to bin this one.

diving_eagle.gif

post-4514-1206137072_thumb.jpg

That looks great! I love the celtic pattern for the wings. Good luck with the dye. I still cringe every time I think about doing the dye on my projects and yet I still do it. ;)

Nicely done!!!

BLACK? Black should be outlawed!

Nicw design and clean work, i know what you mean about colors i hate it to and ruin it and think why didnt you just oil and leave it natural, Don

Really nice Roo, it must feel good when a challenge turns up this good:-)

I know how you feel about the black, I almost closed my eyes putting it on my piece but "no pain, no gain":-) IF you have a vision in your head, go with it (but have in mind, it might turn up as a boo boo)...I only used metalic colors ontop, very few actually, just mixed and blended them as I whent along.

Have great day "Down Under"

i wanted to carve something that was challenging...so here it is. There is still some finishing to be done but the sun was out so i took a photo. I think i will be making it into a bill and cheque book holder. The problem now is how to dye it... i wish i could give it to tina to dye black and then do those wonderful highlights she does. After about 8 hours carving i might just look at it for awhile before getting up the courage to put dye to leather, i really dont want to have to bin this one.

diving_eagle.gif

This will be awesome! I share your trepidation about dying it. I've been in similar situations. You can practice on another piece but each

chunk of leather is different and you can't count on it responding the way you want.

Sure hope it turns out the way you want.

Gary

Lookin real good so far Roo, and I say Black dye should be outlawed as well.

Ken

diving_eagle.gif

Wow Roo. This is cool. I say Block out the head and the feathers on the back. Maybe saddle tan the rest, or tan and black out the background...but then again that is what I do with all my work...LOL. I so love those colors. This is a very nice challenging piece. :notworthy:

Roo,

Well done. Wonderful use of the celtic patterns. Have you considered calling it a phoenix, then you could use reds and yellows for the fire on the wind edges and tail and blues for the main body. Just a thought. Again, nicely done.

leatheroo,

I like the design a lot. Very interesting celtic wings real nice touch there. I've never seen flames and celtic combined any better than that. I would probably have called it Phoenix rising instead of diving eagle....but you would have to turn it upside down...... :thumbsup:

Good job,

David Theobald

http://theobaldleather.com

Veery nice, Roo!

I have a similar in my tattoo flash collection that I wanted to do for years!

It looks very good and about the dying problem I can say I share your worry 'bout it.

Sure would look good with red n yellow flames on a black background.

Tom