I know... big deal, more coasters. I just haven't had a lot of time in the shop lately, but I haven't posted much in a while, either, so I'll go ahead and offer this up with a lick and a promise of bigger and better things in the near future.

I promised to send something to my friends in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, the Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps (who I was a member of a long, LONG time ago when they were consistently placing in the top 12 at DCI, for any of you who might know what that means), for their next fund-raising auction.

post-7-063129300 1284309120_thumb.jpg post-7-012777000 1284309121_thumb.jpg

Kate

You know, generally speaking, I don't care for the colored tooling. But these are really really nice. I think the color turned out great on them, and I think the tooling is very very well done. You should definately be proud of them. They have definately caused me to rethink my opinion on coloring in tooling.

Chris

Very nice Kate. I like them and the holder. Neat idea. My best to you.

Those look really good and thats a great way to make the holder for them.

What did you use on the back and what do you seal them with if anything? I am thinking that something like a set of these (my own design ofcourse) would be a great gift to go with another project I have to start soon.

Kate, I think the coasters came out really well. Great idea and nice job!

You know, generally speaking, I don't care for the colored tooling. ... They have definately caused me to rethink my opinion on coloring in tooling.

It can be a challenge to color leather without degrading its natural appearance. If you are interested in exploring working with coloring leather, I highly recommend the tutorials posted by ClayB, this one in particular:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11979.

... thats a great way to make the holder for them.

The holder design is a simplified variation of one I saw earlier in another post from one of our members in China, boma. (http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26081) His design is much nicer than mine, I think... more elegant. But mine is very quick and easy to make, and there is room for more decorating possibilities.

What did you use on the back and what do you seal them with if anything? I am thinking that something like a set of these (my own design ofcourse) would be a great gift to go with another project I have to start soon.

I was considering sewing some cork to the back of them, which I may still try sometime. For these, I decided to just use 2 layers of leather with the flesh sides facing each other, so they have top grain on both sides. That way, I could use my maker stamp on the back, too.

For coasters, I use a lacquer finish - Deft clear satin wood finish. It's totally water-proof. You could spill hot coffee on them and other than smelling like coffee afterwords, you wouldn't be able to tell anything was spilled on them.

Kate, I think the coasters came out really well. Great idea and nice job!

I was thinking about you when I was doing the edges. They're still not "Bobby Park" edges, but I do believe I get a little closer every time. :notworthy:

Kate

Very nice! I like the simplification of boma's design for the holder. I might even be able to pull off a holder like that.

Absolutely beautiful!

beautiful work kate

WOW, those really are a big deal! I really like the design, color & holder, thanks for sharing. Alan

You know, generally speaking, I don't care for the colored tooling. But these are really really nice. I think the color turned out great on them, and I think the tooling is very very well done. You should definately be proud of them. They have definately caused me to rethink my opinion on coloring in tooling.

Chris

Be proud! They came out really great! The colors are really good. I was actually looking at your sewing job...really nice!

They are really great , nice job.

Love the colors .

Beautiful work Kate :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I have to say, the best looking coaster I have seen, keep it coming :-)

Those are really beautiful........great job and great Idea

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Wasn't expecting a response like this for just some coasters, but even so, I'll try to do better next time.

Kate

I know... big deal, more coasters. I just haven't had a lot of time in the shop lately, but I haven't posted much in a while, either, so I'll go ahead and offer this up with a lick and a promise of bigger and better things in the near future.

I promised to send something to my friends in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, the Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps (who I was a member of a long, LONG time ago when they were consistently placing in the top 12 at DCI, for any of you who might know what that means), for their next fund-raising auction.

Kate

post-15330-025809300 1288779653_thumb.jp post-15330-010875800 1288779752_thumb.jp

Those are really beautiful, Kate. I admire your work..tooling, dying, edging... it is always top notch! :notworthy:

I found your post while I was searching info about coasters... trying to find answers before I ask questions...

I have been making coasters and have tried quite a few different finishes. For what I am making, I like the looks of Neatsfoot oil, a couple of days of sun tan... and I like the looks and smell of the Fiebing's Leather Balm w/Atom Wax - and that polishes up real nice. But I do worry about what people might spill on their coasters and if they will hold up, looks wise. I have "test" coasters all around my house and they seem to hold up just fine for me. But the only thing I put on them is mostly a hot cup of coffee/tea or a water bottle. I wonder how they will wear under different settings. The first problem I had was that I made them out of leather that was not thick enough and the edges would always curl - so now I always use 9-10 oz leather. The second problem I had was what finish to use.

When I saw your post I decided to get some of the Deft clear satin wood finish and give it a try...

First it was a shipping nightmare... The guy that shipped the first 2 quarts sent it USPS - which is a no-no. It came with obvious leakage, but the box was undamaged. I felt bad that there was a problem, but I refused the shipment because I had no idea how much of the finish was left in the cans. The second shipment came by UPS and the guy had put metal clips on the lids to hold them on - but the clips had gone through the top of the cans... I have never had so much trouble with ordering things to be shipped to me... more lessons learned... :rolleyes2:

Sooooo, once I got it I used it on my usual coasters and Yeikes - the smell was almost overwhelming... WOW! I ended up leaving my trays of coasters under the stove vent - to suck up the fumes (the fan turned on of course - not the stove ............ from the problems I had with shipping I learned from the Post Master that the Deft clear satin wood finish is Highly flammable and he said it was explosive... ) I suppose I should have only done one coaster to see how it turned out, but I did a couple of dozen and it took about 8 hours for the smell to fully dissipate. I guess if I do use this on all my coasters, I should put up something like a painting booth, clean, dry and ventilated.....

i was just wondering, how long did it take for your casters to be dry enough to stack, or touch each other with out sticking to each other - which was a problem I had when I had used the Satin Sheen. Even after they had been dry for more than a week they were still sticky - to each other.

I Really Really like the way that Deft finish made my coasters look, once they were dry...

and I was Amazed at how well the Deft clear satin wood finish absorbed into the leather.

I was just wondering if you have any tips for how to use the Deft clear satin wood finish ? Do you put the deft finish on the edges too?

I like the idea of not having to worry about the coasters getting water damaged or stained, or the coaster dye or edge dye leaving a stain on something.

Any and all suggestions would be highly appreciated.

.... I did a couple of dozen and it took about 8 hours for the smell to fully dissipate. I guess if I do use this on all my coasters, I should put up something like a painting booth, clean, dry and ventilated.....

You should always use any type of lacquer product in a well-ventilated area. I keep a box fan with an air filter clamped on it near where I'm working to keep the fumes under control. The fan sucks the air away and through the filter. You still get fumes, but they don't build up as much, and dissipate quickly if you have good ventilation. I also use a respirator if I'm doing a big job.

I really haven't found anything quite as waterproof as lacqer, and I want what I make to be able to handle a worst-case scenario, which in this case is something like getting hot coffee spilled on it. If you don't know if a finish you're using will stand up to that, take a piece of scrap that's treated with it and pour some hot coffee on it.

I will also mention I've also had very good results (in terms of being water proof and heat resistant) with Aussie Wax.

i was just wondering, how long did it take for your casters to be dry enough to stack, or touch each other with out sticking to each other - which was a problem I had when I had used the Satin Sheen. Even after they had been dry for more than a week they were still sticky - to each other.

It shouldn't take that long for acrylic finishes to dry, but I don't use them on anything that has to be moisture proof. I've had things I finished with Satin Sheen that were totally ruined after getting rained on, so now I only use it on work that will only be used indoors, and not in conjunction with the use of anything liquid.

But to answer your question, I allow about 5 or 10 minutes between coats of lacquer, then let them sit overnight before stacking and packaging them.

I was just wondering if you have any tips for how to use the Deft clear satin wood finish? Do you put the Deft finish on the edges too?

I apply it with lambskin scraps in very light coats, and after wiping it on and getting worked in a bit, immediately wipe off as much as possible. The lambskin will get down into any tooled impressions you have made in the leather and keep the finish from pooling there. If it goes on too heavily anywhere, it not only will make your leather look like plastic, it will become brittle and crack when you flex it. The finish will stay flexible and not crack if you put it on in very light coats. I put on 2 or 3 coats. And yes, I also put it on the edges after slicking.

Kate

Thank You So Much Kate...

Thanks for Every one of the REALLY Great Tips

Especially the one about the Filter on the Fan and using it to suck the fumes away...

I wouldn't have thought of that

also Thanks for the mention about the Aussie Wax. I keep hearing about that and now I will put it on my list,

along with lambskin scraps

OH, and By The Way - Very Clever coaster Holder!

I just love this place, where knowledge and experience is freely shared! Awesome!

Thanks again for All of your help! :thankyou:

Edited by LNLeather

I'm the OTHER guy ... meaning I LIKE some color, but have never cared for even the IDEA of coasters :)

But I will say that I've always thought you had a talent for design, and I'm always impressed with your use of color.

[Yet another] attractive piece :) :)

I will also mention I've also had very good results (in terms of being water proof and heat resistant) with Aussie Wax.

Kate

Soooo, I seem to be doing something wrong in the search for Aussie Wax...

All I have been able to find is Fiebing's - Aussie Leather Conditioner

I usually try to shop and get the best price... Where do you get the Aussie Wax?

Thanks again for All of your help :thankyou:

Edited by LNLeather

Soooo, I seem to be doing something wrong in the search for Aussie Wax...

All I have been able to find is Fiebing's - Aussie Leather Conditioner

I usually try to shop and get the best price... Where do you get the Aussie Wax?

Sorray, that's what I meant, I'm just in the habit of calling it Aussie Wax for short. It has wax in it. I think most leather suppliers carry it.

Kate

Sorray, that's what I meant, I'm just in the habit of calling it Aussie Wax for short. It has wax in it. I think most leather suppliers carry it.

Kate

Thanks, and it's OK - you and Everyone else here seems to call it Aussie Wax...

...cept us noobs

Really, Thanks Again for your help