DoubleC

Things I've Learned About Leatherworking Last Week

As some have mentioned, a wine bottle cork is a really great backer for leather when using an awl, and especially useful when you can't quite get your fingers placed right to safely use them. An added bonus is that drinking the wine to get the corks is quite enjoyable. A further added benefit is that you usually have a few bottles of wine around so that you can get replacement corks when you need them. A still further added benefit is that you have bottles of wine around to dull the pain when you get forgetful, don't use the cork and pierce a finger anyway. And if you don't have antibiotic cream around? ... Yup. More wine!!

It's a great system, really.

Bill

LOL, Bill and Macca

LOL Bill, I can get behind that!

The husband and I are planning a wine-tasting for two this weekend.. because what's the difference between Chianti, Beaujolais, Bordeaux, Pinot Noir and Cabarnet? Hopefully we'll be sober enough to remember the difference the next day...

I'll make sure we get bottles with corks!

Edited by lightingale

I love the wine solution and I'm trying to work it into machine sewing somehow, LOL. Does it count if your hands just get tired from working? Especially when you leave everything to the last second and overwork your whole body? I can make cork necklaces and drink the wine for all the pain, physical and emotional after I finish a project :) You guys are a hoot.

C'mon Guys,

I thought that stabbing yourself, cutting fingers, grinding them on the sander, smacking with hammer, spilling dyes, glue, and other potions, was all normal activity and was to be expected. Now I learn that these are all no-no's. What's a guy to do? lol.

Then add the dropped Chicago screws and learn that they just flew to Asia, smacking a rivet that just will not hold or bends at an angle, clearing tangled thread when you begin to learn the art of hand sewing, and then there is the misplaced tools and hardware that you just know you have, someplace unknown to anyone.

Goes on and on but isn't it fun, in the end, when it all comes together?

Love it.

God Bless.

Ray

Of course all that's the fun stuff and why we do it!! Cheryl :)

Or when you've finished a knife sheath and realise it's left handed or a mirror image, or however you want to call it - I think you'll know what I mean

Oh LOL I do know that one.

I learned that I should always have my hair up when gluing something. Because it ends up a hair on piece and not cowhide.

LOL, Randi, good idea. I have a dog that provides all the hair on whether I want it or not. She can just look at a project and it has hair on it.

I learned the people at the Allentown store do care and try to help. When they had the blackfriday sales it was in store only. Well being in a wheelchair and not able to get there guess what no sale for me. Well I sent an email and a few days later they called me and said they would have sent my order anyway but the items were sold out. Then she called back to say someone ws going to return the items I needed at the special price , and to be even better no charge on the delivery this time . Two nice pieces of leather came this week looks like a top notch 8 to 9 ounce side too. Thanks a lot Tandy of Allentown I'll be ordering more items now. Silverbullet

What I learned last night is that when using a stitching pony, you want to make sure you have nothing to you on the left and right. Especially not a full glass of water, so when you give the strings an outward tug you punch your glass onto a bunch of papers. Found out that this takes a lot of time to clean up that you could have been stitching. -_-

Be glad it was water and not dye!

Had already learned that lesson with paint, put the lid back on and tightly! ;)

Cheryl, I have two cats that help make everything a hair on project. One is into helping and stealing my leather pieces.

That every project is a learning experience

no matter how many times I've done something

I ask my self am I happy with the results,,, or should I done this before that

or why I should Not CHANGE a solid plan,,,, but what about?????

Can I do it better next time,,,,,, my $0.02 and way overvalued

simple lesson don't screw with working plan,,,

David

Randi, she can just SIT and shed, LOL. Fortunately she's not into chewing the leather except about 6 years ago she chewed the top off of my LL Bean boot. I was most annoyed. Grey Drakkon I seem to need to keep learning that lesson. And David I totally agree with you. But there is still that nagging urge to tweak the plan :) And Silverbullet I am really happy you have a great Tandy store. Cheryl

DoubleC, I had years to get it hammered into my head when in art classes, and when learning chinese calliraphy, and when mixing glazes for ceramics, and hell, when baking in the kitchen. Be aware at all times where the open container is, because you WILL spill it across essential items, or at the very least end up dunking your clothes in it. ;) Didn't stick with me the other night though!

This wasn't actually last week, but it's one I never forget now. When you are putting a name on an item, or otherwise personalizing it.....make triple darn sure that you have it right! That mistake is real embarassing when the item is for a relative!

Slick, that's hilarious, not that I'm glad it had to be remade, but it's really funny.