RavenAus

First Hat In Progress

This is my first hat, all in leather from the Tandy 2662 pattern 'Aristocrat' hat

The pattern is a bit of a pig and not exactly symmetrical but it worked out in the end.

I haven't dyed it yet, still deciding what colour to do it, brown or black.

th_DSC_0187.jpg th_DSC_0188.jpg th_DSC_0189.jpg

th_DSC_0190.jpg th_DSC_0193.jpg

Looks good! Can't wait to see what it looks like when it all finished

Horn

That one bad hat Harry!

That looks great! I like how the hat follows the same lines as your face.

Great looking hat. Got a pic of the top?

I like it! Can't wait to see how you decide to dye it. Are you going steampunkish with it?

Thank you everyone! I'm dithering on the colour mainly cause I'm not too good at dyeing leather. I'm using Eco-flo from Tandy but it keeps ending up blotchy.

Eco Flo? Theres your problem. Get you a bottle of Fiebing's Pro Oil Dye. Much better.

I have some hat patterns in digital format bought from leathercraft library I think. Always hesitated because I don't knw how to fit those patterns to my head. Any advise, please? Yours turned out great!

Eco Flo? Theres your problem. Get you a bottle of Fiebing's Pro Oil Dye. Much better.

Unfortunately I have to use what I have due to budget and availability, so I really need to figure this dye out. I have 2, the standard and the all in one. Both are giving the same problem though, wherever I start ends up darker, and it seems impossible to get a good finish for me. Would casing the leather, or dampening at least, first help or hinder?

Try using a deglazer to remove anything on the surface that may be impeding the dye soaking into the leather. Also try using some oxalic acid to remove any stains.

Otherwise, a lot of posts recommend thinning the dye, then building up the color in layers, allowing to dry and buffing well in between. Airbrush has also been recommended. Not too expensive so might be within your budget. Lots of info on airbrushing here if you want to do a search.

Great job on the hat, and keep testing different ideas for dying the leather before actually doing the hat. Too many of us are in a big hurry and jump right in without any testing or practice.

Tom

Edit: Some do dampen the leather slightly before applying the dye. Some also give the leather a very light coat of oil (Neatsfoot or Extra Virgin Olive OIl (EVOO)). Neatsfoot will darken the leather more than EVOO.

Edited by northmount