benlilly1

My Tandy Order...i Didn't Know I Was Getting Scrap.

I ordered the 1.5-2.5 oz. mission grain pigskin lining leather to prototype some wallets. This leather is supposed to be 4-5 sq.ft. I will have to place my patterns just right to even get any use out of this piece. Was I screwed? Does it normally come like this?

post-19391-0-35775000-1399069902_thumb.j

Hi, That is not what that hide should look like. I use those to make my wallets and that is not the way they come. Maybe you should send a picture to Tandy and have them explain why this pig was shaped so funny. Good Luck. Tim

Yeah.. That's garbage. Call them or email them. They are usually pretty good at making this stuff right.

If the shipping label shows which store it came from, call them direct and speak to the manager. Usually Tandy distributes orders to the store closest to you... Or at least they used to.

Make them pay all shipping back and forth....

I'm afraid I'd have to walk around the outside of my house 5 or 6 times in a foot of snow to cool off after getting that shipped to me.

There is no excuse or reason for that.

Personally, . . . I wouldn't mess with the store, . . . I'd go straight to the top of the Tandy food chain, . . . pull on the big dog's collar.

They should send you the proper item, . . . and refund your money as a way of saying they are sorry.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've never had a comfortable feeling going into the store because most of the time they were not customer friendly and their cell phone conversations and cell phone games were more important. So I had started ordering online. I do know the items came from that store. I already emailed about the problem but I'm guessing I'll be calling them too. Thanks for the input everyone!

You can ask corporate to have your on line orders come from another store. I had to as the closest store sucked.

Tandy in Australia don't get any of my business they just don't care about their customers. I ordered 4 clasps paid a lot in postage but they were a new design, sure enough they sent the old design, they admitted the ones on the web site were not the ones they had in the warehouse.

So it was my problem not theirs I could get a refund but not the postage and I would still have to pay to return them

now Birdsall gets all my orders

I guess we're lucky here in the Atlanta area. The Tandy staff is friendly, knowledgeable and honest. I can't tell you how many times they have bent over backwards to help a customer.. And no, I don't work for Tandy.. :no:

But if the staff is crappy, I'd raise hell with Ft. Worth.

Tandy stores are supposed to make the customer happy. They have the authority to fix complaints. They sell some very cheap stuff, but are supposed to work with you to resolve your unhappiness. That said, some managers are great and some are very bad.

Update: I got a voicemail on my phone today saying they were sending me another piece of leather w/ free shipping.

Maybe it's the pieces that are missing from your original :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

While I was waiting for my leather to arrive, I tooled this pattern from a Tandy kit. Anyone see what I forgot to do? It's done so no going back...

post-19391-0-03623800-1399678346_thumb.j

I really like it....the only thing I could pick out is maybe smooth the beveling?

I give???

I forgot to pear shade before I cut the decorative cuts.

Lol I looked and studied and couldn't pick out a thing really....like I said I really like the pattern.

Thanks, I can't take credit for the pattern. It's a Tandy wallet kit.

I don't see any shading and I'm guessing that's what was forgotten. Still looks great!

While I was waiting for my leather to arrive, I tooled this pattern from a Tandy kit. Anyone see what I forgot to do? It's done so no going back...

Yes, the shading, and yes also....you have some choppy beveling there. Looks like you need to learn to "walk" your beveler,....that is the process of beveling continuously by just tapping on your beveler while moving it along only about one third of the bevelers width as you go, It doesn't hurt to go back over it and smooth out any uneven beveling you may have done the first time. even, the pros do that from time to time. Smooth beveling can also be gone over with a modeling tool to even it up, but with checkered beveling, you have to use the beveler to smooth it out.

Mulefoot - Most every time a mulefoot is used in floral carving, the impressions taper out in a series. That is, each succeeding mark is lighter than the one before it as you move away from the stop.

Stop - Usually the stop is stamped in at an angle so that the pointed end blends in smoothly with the swivel cut.

I strongly urge you, and all leathercrafters, to have a copy of Al Stohlman's TECH TIPS book and study it thoroughly. For the beginner and intermediate tooler, it is probably the best value for your money that you can spend.

I ordered some Al Stohlman books and tracing paper from Tandy Online once, and the local store folded the books and tracing paper roll to get it to fit into a smaller box. I am guessing so they could make some money off the shipping. I was pissed off. I got several yards of wrinkled up tracing paper.

Don't see any pear shader work.....but that isn't even a necessary thing. It looks fine to me. Can't see anything else.

I had the same kind of problem I ordered a black piece of pigskin I always order online but from the same Tandy store . The piece I received looked like cheese cloth when I unrolled it called the tandy store they told me to ship it back to them they paid me for the postage and sent me another very nice piece so all I can say I was very happy with there service. I would definitely send that piece you got back.