MonicaJacobson

Pic Of My Work Space...

Monica, I moved across the hall into a different apt. Before I moved my landlord put new linoleum down in the entrance hallway and my shop room. I was using black dye for the first time and spilled the whole bottle on the new floor. Like you it dried before I could get it up. I just decided to never move, LOL.

@Snubby - oh yeah, there's no way that's going anywhere. Now, if I can just steal one from the husband's shop when he's not looking..

Cheryl, that's terrible. I know how you feel - we're renting, too, and hopefully our landlord will never see that picture. ;) Actually, maybe I should show it to him so he'll be so impressed at how much better it will look when we get the floor back to normal.

Ouch ... but tell us about that black bag!

fanninator, I posted it here. And yes, the title was an accident. *head desk*

ouch, that's a nasty stain :-)

been there ,done that.. I usually paint outside on a small table on my lawn . Inside I use a cheap shallow box to put all my bottles of dye's etc. in.

Thinking about it, i am suprised that manufacturers of inks and dyes don't make the bottles cone shaped, they design cat and dog bowls that way so they cannot tip over with tapered out edges, this really does suprise me they don't make their bottles harder to knock over. Mind you i suppose they would sell less ink that way.

Did you say dirty words with your youngster at the table?

I know, he's probably feeling smug about it not being him this time. I did leave a piece of leather on my table during the afternoon one time, and came back to find that he had been "leatherworking" with dye aaall over it. He was so proud, and I learned my lesson: never leave leather unattended.

Snubby, I was struck speechless. Fortunately. ;)

I do all my dyeing outside. Previously because of the smell, but it looks like y'all have given me a better reason.

I suggested this on another of Monica's threads, so this is for others that have been reading this thread.

(By the way, Monica, did it work or help at all? I and others I'm sure would like to know how effective it is and the type of dye you were using.)

Some dye spills can be cleaned up with Oxalic Acid (also called wood bleach). I think a lot of it depends on how porous the surface is, and how deep it penetrates. I'm sure it will depend on the type of dye as well. I know with stains in wood, it sometimes takes several soakings and applications to clean up the surface so it is gone or light enough not to be very noticeable.

So far my dye spills have been on the bench, usually on some cardboard or paper towel. But paint is a different story. once dumped most of a gallon can in the kitchen. Half of it ran down the basement stairs! That was many years ago. Was oil based paint, and I had no thinner. Picked up a lot with a dustpan, then wiped up more, then lots of scrubbing with soap and water, over and over. At least it wasn't fast drying. My parent's never did know what happened to the paint!

Tom

Thinking about it, i am suprised that manufacturers of inks and dyes don't make the bottles cone shaped, they design cat and dog bowls that way so they cannot tip over with tapered out edges, this really does suprise me they don't make their bottles harder to knock over. Mind you i suppose they would sell less ink that way.

It's a question of production. The bottles are blow molded and the manufacturing method dictates the shape more than the end use.

Unfortunately, Tom, I got right to work on that and had sanded it all away by the time you posted your excellent suggestion. I'm really hoping there isn't a next time, but I'll be sure to try it.

That's hilarious about your paint spill in your parents' house. Yikes, that's not a fun scenario.

Shucks I usually just wear all my spills , been times it took several washings to get it off. Let alone out of my clothes the wife thinks I'm a bum sometimes but I refuse to not wear out clothing even with stains . Why do people worry about stains on my clothes she thinks we're high society I think , dosent bother me ,shows I'm not afraid to work and get dirty not that I'm a slob I'm just frugle , at least she can't holler for making a mess on her floor . I do most all my leather working from a hospital bed in our dining room / my bedroom . Man I catch he ll when tooling or setting snaps for the hammer noise could be worse could be dead no noises then right. So I do get lots of spills just goes with the job yupp I'm havin fun and learning and getting better someday I'll post some pics. Well maybe if I think it looks good enough , some of he people on here are pure artist no doubt about it . Gary

Gary, you should definitely post pictures. It's no fun if you wait until you're too good!

I usually have half-blackened hands from dye. Super classy. No manicure, that's for sure. But hey, as you said, it shows that we're not afraid to get our hands dirty doing something cool.

I use a foam from cheap camping mattress - 3 layers glued together with a square slot cut off in the middle. Makes it much harder to accidently make a mess as long as it stays on a table.post-37937-0-51526800-1416029440_thumb.j

All I can say is that I have been lucky thus far as I have not spilled any dyes, yet. Thanks for sharing your inovative methods for preventing spills.