A friend was critiquing some belts of mine, made mostly using 3D stamps, and pointed out that if it looks easy, like anyone could buy a couple stamps and do it, the value is lower. But if it look like original art, the worth increases. So, being a literalist, I decided to salute Piet Mondrian, and came up with these designs. Let me know your thoughts, including pricing.

Thanks,

Scott

post-54441-0-98374900-1431238086_thumb.j

post-54441-0-09804400-1431238106_thumb.j

post-54441-0-68891300-1431238119_thumb.j

post-54441-0-22917200-1431238910_thumb.j

Edited by blackcoffee

First, welcome to the forum!

Since this is your first post I want to be nice. I have no idea who Mondrian is, but it reminds me on kindergarten drawings. I don't know how experienced you are with stamping, but if using a textured beveler you want to make sure that both lines, bottom and top are equal and not wavy, unless that's what you wanted to do. A smooth beveler is easier to correct as you can draw your lines with it as well after punching and thus smoothing out the appearance.

That being said, it's a good start into belt making and don't let yourself be put-off by my blunt comment. And if this is your first burnishing, it's a lot better than my first.

A friend was critiquing some belts of mine, made mostly using 3D stamps, and pointed out that if it looks easy, like anyone could buy a couple stamps and do it, the value is lower. But if it look like original art, the worth increases. So, being a literalist, I decided to salute Piet Mondrian, and came up with these designs. Let me know your thoughts, including pricing.

Thanks,

Scott

I cannot comment on the quality of your tooling as i am quite new to leatherwork, however i do like the belts and think that your idea of tipping your hat to the great artists on leather is a fantastic idea, i would like to see how you would go about a jackson pollock,that would be a hard one.

Piet Mondrian was a Dutch artist who was active in the first half of the twentieth century, and produced simple, striking, abstract images. From our point of view we can group him with other styles of modern art & design around that period, like Le Corbusier & Bauhaus. Look them up in Google & Wikipedia.

The belts themselves are interesting, and a change from traditional styles; I am impressed.

It must have been quite difficult to do the carving or tooling, and prevent the dyes bleeding into each other

Jazzman; you don't need to actually make a Jackson Pollock, just cut a strip off an old work mat!

I like them a lot. Quite different and unique, which may limit the market of potential buyers on the one hand but increase the value to those buyers as well.

Jazzman; you don't need to actually make a Jackson Pollock, just cut a strip off an old work mat!

:rofl:

I think the one without the beveling works better with this style. Nice work on keeping the colors separated.

I agree with Cyberwolfe - makes it make more sense. Cool idea!

Very cool. Instantly recognizable as a tribute to Mondrian. I have to agree that the one without bevels is probably closer to style, but the bevels work too.

I'd like to do a Picasso belt, but I'm not quite sure how I would get it both over my head and under my legs to fit my waist.

Bill

Welcome, You've found one of the most interesting and awe inspiring sites on the net.

Nice thought, and a fresh idea,

in honoring long gone artists whom may have left lasting impact !

Your design not very often seen, actually makes its own fashion statement. -- Congratulations Wild Bill46

I think the beveled one looks excellent. It may improve from neater beveling and brighter colours. This coloured one I like best of both since they are a nice impression of the original art. The 'waviness' actually adds to it in a way, take a close look at Boogie Woogie. The brown one I find a bit boring compared to the other one and it does not remind me of Mondriaan anymore (although on its own I think it's very nice), it's not as recognisable as the primary colours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Mondrian for those who are unfamiliar with the style. As a graduate from art school, I have to say you definitely have an audience for that kind of belt, an they would be tickled by it. It does reduce your audience size, but I think that will be made up for by the fact that they will really grab onto a belt like that which means you can ask for a decent price.

Really nice looking, and uniqueness is always good.

Can you do Ernst Ludwig Kirchner? ;)

Can you do Ernst Ludwig Kirchner? ;)

Now you're being silly! But Ad Reinhart should be easy enough.

Anyone who is unfamiliar with Modern Art should read up on the subject. Start with the story of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Edited by zuludog

Well Scott did you sell either belt ?

Hey everyone,

thanks for your helpful, insightful, encouraging quotes.

Sales and marketing are the weak spots in my business. I've been focusing on my "other job" the past month, but aiming to re-engage the challenge of learning online marketing so I can sell these belts.

cheers,

Scott