Alamo

It's Been A While! Here's A Few Things I've Done That I'd Like To Show Y'all!

So I've been pretty busy with school lately, but I always make time for my leatherwork :)

Since the last time I posted here, I feel like I've been progressing at a good pace. Even so, I would love to hear any critiques y'all may have for me. LAY IT ON ME THICKKKKK :feedback:

First to show you is a set of sheaths that I was commissioned to make. Out of the projects that I'm sharing, I think this is the one that could be improved the most. That being said, I really enjoyed working with this customer and making these sheaths.

Second is a bridle that I made for a friend's horse! This is the first bit of equine leather that I've ever made, and I was told that this particular bridle was a bit tight around the ears. Even so, this was a blast to make and was extremely satisfying to see on the horse.

Third is a Western Stitched Gunbelt. I've made a few in the past, and I really think that I've come quite a ways with what I'm producing now. I love the way they look, and the functionality of them, even when not bearing the weight of a sidearm, is impressive.

Last is a blueprint carrier I made for my father's birthday/father's day. Definitely didn't make it easy on myself when making this, there are parts of this that I could have done differently to make the construction of this much simpler. That being said, I love the way this came out, and it holds blueprints like I told dad it would!

Thanks for looking!

Great work.

looks good, the dye job on it all was nice and even and I love the baseball stitch on the blueprint case

You do really nice work. Cheryl

Yeh the baseball stitch is an eyecatcher for sure! really nice. The stitches on that belt!! Jeez! Just curious about the manhours it took for that?? Looks awesome!

Eddie

Beautiful work. I loove the stitching on the belt and the blueprint case. Well done :clapping:

Very nice work. I love the blueprint case.

The stitches on that belt!! Jeez! Just curious about the manhours it took for that?? Looks awesome

The stitching for the whole belt takes about 10ish hours by my estimation. Tedious, but the end result is totally worth it for me :)

the dye job on it all was nice and even

If you're referring to the blueprint carrier, the leather is Horween chromexcel and is dyed at the tannery. If you're referring to the sheath set, then thanks! I use an airbrush to dye because for me it's easier to get an consistent dye job.

Thanks for the kind words y'all!

My favorite is the blueprint case. So cool! I've always wanted to make one, but never had the justification. I also love the gunbelt. Thanks for sharing pictures!

The sheathes are beautiful, especially the stitching pattern!

The bridle looks very solid...A wee bit too much so, especially the throatlatch, which would look better if it was narrowed down at least a bit. The ears are being pinched a bit as already stated (hence the displeased look with the ears laid back). Also, you might want to add a strap keeper to the cheek strap so it doesn't flop around while the horse is being ridden. (can you tell I'm a bit familiar with horse tack? ;) )

The gun belt looks wonderful, gorgeous stitching...Which is rudely interrupted by your maker's mark. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I prefer maker's marks to be inconspicuous, like on the inside of the belt, at least when it has such strong geometry to it that clashes with the pattern on your belt. Like I said though, that's a personal call.

The blueprint carrier is gorgeous as well, I love the contrasting colors you used, and the stitching is superb. If I have to pick on it, I'd say that I'm not sure I like how some of the edges are left raw and light colored when the rest of it is so smooth and dark. I'd be tempted to paint the edges with a dark brown if they won't burnish.

The sheathes are beautiful, especially the stitching pattern!

The bridle looks very solid...A wee bit too much so, especially the throatlatch, which would look better if it was narrowed down at least a bit. The ears are being pinched a bit as already stated (hence the displeased look with the ears laid back). Also, you might want to add a strap keeper to the cheek strap so it doesn't flop around while the horse is being ridden. (can you tell I'm a bit familiar with horse tack? ;) )

The gun belt looks wonderful, gorgeous stitching...Which is rudely interrupted by your maker's mark. I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I prefer maker's marks to be inconspicuous, like on the inside of the belt, at least when it has such strong geometry to it that clashes with the pattern on your belt. Like I said though, that's a personal call.

The blueprint carrier is gorgeous as well, I love the contrasting colors you used, and the stitching is superb. If I have to pick on it, I'd say that I'm not sure I like how some of the edges are left raw and light colored when the rest of it is so smooth and dark. I'd be tempted to paint the edges with a dark brown if they won't burnish.

The bridle strap thickness was 3/4", and I was wondering why all the bridles being sold online used skinnier straps. I now know! I agree that the cheek straps could have used a keeper as well. I used an old bridle the owner had as a pattern, and it turns out it was not am ideal fit for this horse. I'd love to make more tack in the future, it was super fun and it feels cool to see it on the animal!

I totally understand where you're coming from with my makers mark, and that's precisely why I like it where it is! Very overt and distinct. If a customer would rather have it on the inside, I definitely would have no objections to it.

The chromexcel was really hard to burnish, and I was unfortunately under a time crunch. In the future, I will definitely figure out a edge finishing method rather than leaving them raw.

Thanks for the critiques!

Grey, with where he placed it, the billet will cover it anyway so not like it's really out where it's going to be seen. Even on the very last hole it looks like it should be hidden

Nice work, I particularly like the gunbelt, simple and understated. (That "infiniti" stitching is a pain in the butt, trying to get the pattern even).

Grey, with where he placed it, the billet will cover it anyway so not like it's really out where it's going to be seen. Even on the very last hole it looks like it should be hidden

That is correct, my makers mark and the end of the stitching is not visible when being worn!

Nice work, I particularly like the gunbelt, simple and understated. (That "infiniti" stitching is a pain in the butt, trying to get the pattern even).

Thanks! The secret to what I call the western style stitching is having a circle guide that is the right size for the job. The pattern is simply overlapping arches, so all I use to make the pattern is a circle guide!

I made card templates for mine, but it's still not as easy as it looks to get the stitching spacing nice and uniform. Like I said, nice job.

Much thanks! Out of all the decorative things that I do, I personally like the way western stitching looks the best :)

Very very nice, i especially like the blueprint tube and stitch style,,