I just finished this holster today. I used Fiebings Saddle Tan oil dye and Sheridan Brown antique dye. I am happy with the way it turned out. Let me know what you think.

post-25449-0-28745900-1441924775_thumb.j

post-25449-0-86717400-1441924776_thumb.j

post-25449-0-63261200-1441924777_thumb.j

post-25449-0-42172200-1441924779_thumb.j

post-25449-0-10496000-1441924781_thumb.j

post-25449-0-66904900-1441924782_thumb.j

post-25449-0-95837300-1441924783_thumb.j

Rohn...That is very nice...I really like the tooling and the braiding.

The belt strap set-up is very kool...Awesome work!

Thank you Bruce. I appreciate your comment.

Now this is a very well designed and implemented holster! Love it.

Thank you, DrmCa

Rohn, you have come a long way. A very nostalgic holster well executed.

Edited by camano ridge

Thank you, Camano.

It's beautiful! The braiding and the background work are so consistent! I'm just learning about this now so I'm wondering if there were any steps you took to make the holster weather/water proof? Thanks!

Rohn, I noticed that none of your products are ever stitched. How long does it take you to lace such a holster? Also do you use glue at all?

Was the design given to you by the customer? I feel that's a lot of backgrounding. Good looking holster though.

very nice detail, really like the oak leaf pattern, plus the all the back ground work really makes the oak leafs pop out, great job...

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Here is how I did this holster. After tooling was finished and the leather dried, I dyed it with Fiebings Saddle Tan and let it dry. Then I whip stitched it every other hole, wet the leather and molded it to the gun. I let it dry. Then I cut out the lace and gave it a good coat of Tan-kote and let that dry. I then applied the antique dye and once this is dry I gave it another coat of Tan-kote. Then I laced it with triple loop stitch. I takes me approximately 45 minutes to lace a holster this size. I do not use any glue. Once the final lacing is done I give it a final coat of Tan-kote and it is done.

Hope this answers any questions but if not keep asking.

As for me not using any stitching with thread - that is about to change as I bought a sewing machine and will be doing some of my things with that as time goes on. I just don't enjoy hand stitching and people like my laced holster anyway.

This holster design is my own and at this point the holster is not yet sold, but I don't think it will be around long.

Tooling looks great Rohn, nice work.

Stu

I think this is a fantastic piece of ART,

Your Lacing is really superior looking ! And goes with both your tooling/backgrounding and coloring.

As I've come to expect in a Roan piece. Always look forward to your next work, --- Wild Bill46

So clean and neat. Jealous. Great work.

Rohn,

I've got to agree with all the other comments, this is a really top notch piece of work.

Chief

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. They are an encouragement to get on and make more. I love carving leather.

I like it, and I usually don't like the laced edge style.

I think it looks great.

Thanks Dan & Snubbyfan. Appreciate the comments.

I love your work. The old work I did 30 years ago was all Stolman/Sheridan stuff. It speaks to my first impressions of leather work. You offered to answer questions, I have often wondered what you use for lace, and do you cut and make your own?

Thank you Sir.

Bullmoosepaddles,

Thank you for the nice complement.

To answer your question, I do not make my own lace. Trying to find good quality lace has been a tough one for me. A few years ago I used lace from Tandy but something happened to the quality of it and I quit purchasing lace from them because I could not finish a project without the lace breaking as I was stitching. In the past I have used Kangeroo lace, this is very good lace, but it is extremely expensive in my opinion. Springfield sold a calf lace that I found to be very strong but when I tried to order some of it a couple of weeks ago they said the company that made it went out of business. I ended up buying "Realeather craft lace" made by Silver Creek Leather Co. It is a calf lace and seems to be good and strong. I bought this from Springfield Leather but after checking the price I found that I can get the same thing from Weaver Leather at a better price.

Hope that answers your question.

Thank you for the kindness and the information.

Rohn, that is a very beautiful piece.

I have not yet tried carving, other than practicing on some scrap and so far the results are less than stellar.

When I look at your work, the overall layout of the design, the fine detail in each leaf and the choice of the background I wonder if I will ever be able to come close to the quality that I see in your work.

I was wondering how your general artistic skills are. Are you an artist? How are your drawing skills? Were you a good artist when you started carving or did you learn along the way?

I ask because my artistic skills are non-existent and I wonder if I would ever be capable of your level of work no matter how long I try..

Anyhow thanks, I really like seeing your work. It always makes me want to know more.

rick