Dwight

Anyone besides me offended??

Since I made a few seats for bikers with skulls on them and some person/s seem to be offended by this I like to join this conversation.

If one is offended by a skull that one is imho offended by mankind. It's simply a part of the body and nothing special. They aren't my favorite, but it has been a part of human artistry for ages already and has been posted on this forum for a long long time already. I could further this to insignia/logos of government organizations around the globe. Since most of my information resources are German of course I just googled this one for you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skull_art and this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris. The later is even published in multiple books and part of school lessons in France. And if I remember correct skulls and bones are even an important part of the catholic religion especially in the process of canonization.

To give this another point of view. I'm truly not believing in god, Allah, Buddha or whom ever is believed to be out there. I'm staying away from religions as far as I possibly can and I'm still not offended by any of the bible phrases on here. It's a matter of tolerating others in the way they are.

Hope you don't take this as an offense, as it isn't meant to be one. Especially since I have nothing but respect for you and your contributions Dwight.

Everyone is offended by something, and in this day and age it's easier than ever to vent ones view in public. For example, one could be offended by political and religious preaching of any kind, and if this or any site was truly neutral, ALL those things would be banned. That would mean no religious symbolism, regardless if it's a David star or a Cross or an Om sign or whatever. No biblical quotes or blessings that can feel disconcerting for people that doesn't share that particular religious belief. No political statements like Confederate flags that many people indeed feel is a ignorant and racist symbol, no WW2 Nazi symbols of any kind as it's actually outlawed in many countries around the world (yeah, I know - you guys are only into collecting WW2 memorabilia), gun branding (Sorry US people, but this is an international site and in most countries guns are not only outlawed, its seems quite offensive too, considering all the murder and gun related violence that happens everywhere) and so on, most of this, that in my personal opinion should be considered far bigger issues to deal with then any skull imagery shown on this site.

Now, of course nothing of the above are being regulated in any way here. Regardless if it's offensive to some or not, ALL of the above are featured on this site on a regular basis. Regardless if one like it or not it seems like the best way for everyone is to just be and let be. There is an adult section for adult stuff, profane language and sexual motif, but I can't see that skulls should be regulated to that section before any of the other 'offensive' stuff. I'm being slightly sarcastic, by the way. So no need for any heated debate. That's not my intention. I just wish people could be a bit less complaining and more encouraging, less ignorant or if that's not possible, at least ignorant to the level that they ignore what they don't like.

Well said.   We all bite our collective tongue on occasions over something someone's said/posted, but since the core, and only purpose of this site is leatherwork, we put our own feelings aside, and get on with it.

Sometimes it's like having you aged unreconstructed uncle come to visit.   Dodgy stuff comes out, but to save upsetting the family, we brush over the comments.

So, probibly best to try to not be the aged unreconstructed uncle, and just keep in mind, and respect that other folk may have difficulty with what you post.

I don't think I'd use the word "offended".  I thought it was unnecessary.  I would never buy one, have one in my home, advertise them  for someone, or likely hang out with people who own them :)

But when I saw it, I just put it in the 'not for me' category and went on past it.

People do all manner of things.  Long as they don't do them at my house ... If all they're doing is posting things on a site which isn't mine... :dunno:

Not everything, everywhere, is "okay".  If nothing is upsetting to you, that's called a sociopath.  But if I let it sidetrack me every time someone said or did something stupid, inappropriate, or offensive - I'd never get ANYTHING done ;)

I think it is time I add my $5 worth (inflation). I haven't done skulls, you don't have to be a biker to like skulls and some skulls are exceptional. Skulls have special meaning to some folks it is a tribute to an ancestor or ones that you have loved, liked and have left this realm. Skulls like graveyards  have special meaning to me. They represent history and ancestors before me and other. They teach us things. 

I am not obsessed with death, just history. It is like old architecture to me, it represents history and days gone past. One day we may all be skulls (not me, cremation) and from our bones and skulls people may see beauty, history, and discover cures from them. 

Skulls, bones and human form is also art. It would be wrong to banish them from the kingdom.

I have not seen f bombs on here because this site is set up to  banish **** such words.