Fiebings Oxblood cut 50/50 with denatured alcohol. Seems a bit pink to me.lol. Leather was cleaned with Barkeepers Friend and rinsed with water.Leather was still damp when dyed. All done with a sponge.(Cleaning and the dyeing) I will use as I was thinking of trying to make a pink holster BUT this was not the color I was expecting and dont know if it will duplicate on the next piece I try to dye.

received_10202657103584066.jpeg

Edited by Mattsbagger

What a nice violet color.

Yeah, the advertised colors of all dyes never turns out to be "as advertised."

As far as red is concerned, the only one I use is Tandy Professional Waterstain. (That is the only Tandy dye that I use, otherwise I use Fiebings.) All of the other "red" dyes are pink or purple.

I always do dyes tests before I dye the piece on which I am working. I do the dye test using a scrap of the same identical leather that I am using for my project. 

I also make dye cards. Every time I buy a new dye color, I cut out a couple of 2 x 4 inch rectangles from 8 oz. leather and dye the rectangles with the new dye (full strength and 50/50). I label the back of the leather card with the dye and dilution. This gives me a better idea of what color I actually have. (You still have to test each new leather with the dye, because different leather = different color.)

Edited by Harry Marinakis

Try 10% and 25% dilutions.  I think I settled on 25% but don't remember

Hi,

I know this is a late response but I just had the same issue with 50% Oxblood (and 50% Alcohol) but once I had oiled and sealed it was a much, much better colour.  

Hope this helps?

Andy

I used Oxblood one time to stain a set of pistol grips. They came out...interesting. After about two months they darkened but still looked bright. It also seems that they changed the formula since the early 80's. I understood at the time that there were carcinogens in the original formula. The newer formula seems to be a bit brighter. I preferred the darker. Could just be my imagination.

Hm, for me it turns out a nice darker shade, but it was pretty pink with a light coat. I like to put the oxblood on and then go over it with a brown antique for some minor tooling, it comes out with a very nice deep burgundy color.

If the red comes out magenta, try adding some yellow to get a true red - knowing how to mix colors with CMYK primaries is super useful in dyeing.

I just had a request for a pink dog collar. I couldn't find any pink, except for a "dark pink" paint. I found on this forum that oxblood will do pink. So, I picked some up while in Arizona last week. Today, I tried some out, 50/50 and 2 to 1. It was pink, but actually the 2 to 1 was exactly like the Eco Flex Waterstain in fuscia! Go figure.

Jeff

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

I just had a request for a pink dog collar. I couldn't find any pink, except for a "dark pink" paint. I found on this forum that oxblood will do pink. So, I picked some up while in Arizona last week. Today, I tried some out, 50/50 and 2 to 1. It was pink, but actually the 2 to 1 was exactly like the Eco Flex Waterstain in fuscia! Go figure.

Jeff

Angelus produces some pink dyes: Rose and Light Rose. Maybe those will work for you. 

On 11/13/2016 at 2:29 AM, Mattsbagger said:

Fiebings Oxblood cut 50/50 with denatured alcohol. Seems a bit pink to me.lol. Leather was cleaned with Barkeepers Friend and rinsed with water.Leather was still damp when dyed. All done with a sponge.(Cleaning and the dyeing) I will use as I was thinking of trying to make a pink holster BUT this was not the color I was expecting and dont know if it will duplicate on the next piece I try to dye.

Wow! That's...mighty pink, all right! I don't remember my oxblood dyes looking like that!
Here's the oxblood of my wallet:

wallet%20top.jpg

That's full strength, not diluted. This is Fiebings Oxblood-- Angelus makes an oxblood too, which you can see here in this other piece (the boar's tongue):

BoarDye1.jpg.b7fabf59f0a64894648d671d4324a7b2.jpg

On 11/13/2016 at 5:29 AM, Mattsbagger said:

I've found the results I get with Feibings are much closer to Djole.  No dilution and get a nice oxblood color consistently, usually hit the leather twice to ensure an even color, but it is very oxblood.  I may try the dilution rate you have used though, that is almost a highlighter pink color, cool, but your right not oxblood.

Yeah, I've never thinned it and get a pretty dark shade out of it as well.

Undiluted, it comes out much darker for me.  The example is with an antique over it but it was nice and bloody before the antique, not pink!

Oxblood 1sm.jpg

dougfergy... that is a very nice color and a beautifully made holster.  I aspire to your skill level... may never get there! 

16 hours ago, wizard of tragacanth said:

dougfergy... that is a very nice color and a beautifully made holster.  I aspire to your skill level... may never get there! 

Thank you very much!  Trust me, no one has far to go to reach my skill level.  I'm better with the camera.  From this angle, you can't see some blunders!