I made this for a customer, and yes, I know the design has flaws, but in my defense, I've done very little carving designs.  Even so, both myself and the customer are pretty chuffed at how it turned out. 

He basically wanted something that looked as if it had slipped out the pages of 'Packing Iron', as he does a lot of re-enactments.  I've added a picture of the other holster he wanted, which has a bit more descrete markings, but I think still looks in keeping with the era.

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

Looks like the real thing, from back in the day, to me! thanks for posting.

Many thanks, I enjoyed the challenge, and although it's not perfect, it's the period we wanted to capture, rather than perfection.

I LIKE it.  I tool quite a bit, and often fairly intricate.  But this has that "hammered copper" look.. almost like engraving... that really "works" here!

Oh, and I should add I like that stitchin' too..

Edited by JLSleather

I love how "dirty" the first one looks.  Like it's been around for a lot of years and collected a lot of planet on it. 

They both look great but I love the first one. It just says "I got history".

Nailed it!

Very nice work

I love them especially the first one. I see a great deal of work with a modeling tool on that one very nice work indeed thanks for sharing.

I like it very much . Looks dated and appropriate to era . Takes courage to go outside of the box .

Many thanks, chaps.

That's the thing I noticed about the pictures of holsters from the 1800's that I've looked at.   Although some of them were quite heavily decorated, the tool range used, wasn't as extensive as we use today.    A lot (not all) of the carving on a holsters were basically that, a carved design with limited, or non-existant shading.

I think it helps that I've never seen a 'proper' holster in the flesh, so to speak.   Makes me more than happy to try out the ideas a customer has.

I like that. Have you seen Will Ghormley's photo essays on how he distresses gun leather for Hollywood?

9 hours ago, Matt S said:

I like that. Have you seen Will Ghormley's photo essays on how he distresses gun leather for Hollywood?

Just did a quick google.   I had seen the ads for his patterns, but didn't realise how much great info is on his website.   He really knows what he is doing.

Beautifully done!

Now, to be Devil's Advocate, I'm going to interject something that seems to slip by most people. If you want to display a rig that is beautifully antiqued & says "I've got history", that is all well & good. What slips by most people, & this is probably Hollywood's fault, is that if you are doing re-enacting, or wish to portray a time period from 1865-1900 for example, the holsters & gun belts are not going to look that old, because they weren't! Same with the towns- a lot of westerns show the towns looking already like ghost towns, but are supposed to be set in the post Civil War period. Towns were new & springing up across the country- they had fresh paint & were only a few years old a lot of the time. This was something that the movie "Tombstone" got right- everything looked brand new.

This is not belittling anyone's work at all- the rig is beautiful. I'm just pointing out a thought process that a lot of people forget when it comes to western re-enacting...

9 hours ago, VMTinajero said:

Beautifully done!

Now, to be Devil's Advocate, I'm going to interject something that seems to slip by most people. If you want to display a rig that is beautifully antiqued & says "I've got history", that is all well & good. What slips by most people, & this is probably Hollywood's fault, is that if you are doing re-enacting, or wish to portray a time period from 1865-1900 for example, the holsters & gun belts are not going to look that old, because they weren't! Same with the towns- a lot of westerns show the towns looking already like ghost towns, but are supposed to be set in the post Civil War period. Towns were new & springing up across the country- they had fresh paint & were only a few years old a lot of the time. This was something that the movie "Tombstone" got right- everything looked brand new.

This is not belittling anyone's work at all- the rig is beautiful. I'm just pointing out a thought process that a lot of people forget when it comes to western re-enacting...

I fully agree with you, but as you say, it's how people think about the American West.   It's the same way that we never used to see anyone shot dead, sprawled in horse poo on the streets of a Hollywood western.   Rose tinted watsits.:lol:

I do like to make my usual rigs out of less than perfect leather though.  Those marks, knocks, and scrapes reflect real life and every day wear much more accurately to me.     It also lets the re-enactment folk walk out there on the first day of the season, already 'worn in'.

But there again, the rigs in the pictures were fun to make, loved by the owner, and I've just sold 2 more of the brown one.

What stamp did you use for the border? It is different & nicely done.

Another way of looking at it is the fact that after a couple few years of wearing a holster in all kinds of weather and environments way way more than most wear them now its not going to look new in a short order. Also I doubt that they were going to be running to the local convenience store and grabbing a new holster every year.

Basically a good looking effect without wearing your holster everyday. 

On 10/02/2017 at 7:29 AM, VMTinajero said:

I have gone into my little workshop 3 times today to get the tool numbers, and 3 times I've ended up involved in something else instead.

Looks like a K156R, which is not a Tandy stamp. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. They're a matched left/right set. Kind of a scroll pattern.

2 hours ago, cradom said:

Looks like a K156R, which is not a Tandy stamp. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. They're a matched left/right set. Kind of a scroll pattern.

Much obliged, cradom! I will have to make a trip to my local Hobby Lobby & take a look...

On 2/9/2017 at 11:29 PM, VMTinajero said:

On 2/12/2017 at 1:00 PM, cradom said:

I know this is a little late, but someone else might want the info as well.  Craftool also has this stamp and its numbers are O56 - Tandy #67010-09 and O57 - Tandy #67010-03.