I need some help from my fellow leather workers. I have a customer that wants a reversible belt. Should be easy to do right? not from what my searches are telling me. They want a 1.5" belt and the largest reversible buckle I can find is 1.35". They do not want it tapered and they do want both sides tooled. They also want it as thick as I can make it which is easier because I do have some saddle skirting I can use.

Here's my 2 part question: 1. Does anyone have a source for larger reversible buckles like the big names use or

2. Can I do it the same as normal for the buckle and use a normal buckle that can be taken off (using snaps) and reversed. The back side would obviously have 2.5" of the opposite color (black on 1 side, timber brown on the other) and use a 6-7oz "liner"? that would meet up with the folded over part

Any other ideas would be welcome

I use a standard buckle, held in place like your idea #2. The 3" of reverse colour is hidden by the 'spare' end.

Thanks Matt. Do you use snaps or do you prefer to use chicago screws? I've got to think ease of use as it is for an older gentleman

On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:36 AM, Halitech said:

Thanks Matt. Do you use snaps or do you prefer to use chicago screws? I've got to think ease of use as it is for an older gentleman

Seeing how its for an older gentleman I would lean towards the snaps as with screws you do need to keep a screwdriver handy. and they are easier to lose

That's what I was thinking about. I've gotten all the other work done and waited on doing the snaps/screws while thinking about it. If this belt doesn't survive the next 50 years, I'll be surprised

I just finished resizing them so I could upload them here :)

Arrow head pattern and his name on the black side, regular basket weave on the timber brown side. 2 line 20 snaps holding the buckle on

20170604_225534a.jpg

20170604_225558a.jpg

What's it look like brown side out. I'm not grasping how it's gonna look that way. With the buckle flipped.

I may make a second keeper to match the brown

20170605_000759a.jpg

42 minutes ago, Halitech said:

20170605_000759a.jpg

Stunning and I may steal this idea lol but personally I would make two keepers as you said one brown one black for either side the keepers wont get in the way to much I do not think!

Very Nice.  I kinda like the splash of black provided by the keeper on the brown side.  I guess it all depends on what your customer wants.

7 hours ago, Windrider30 said:

Stunning and I may steal this idea lol but personally I would make two keepers as you said one brown one black for either side the keepers wont get in the way to much I do not think!

the keeper floats so he could store whichever one he;s not using at the time

10 minutes ago, cjartist said:

Very Nice.  I kinda like the splash of black provided by the keeper on the brown side.  I guess it all depends on what your customer wants.

I kinda like it too but it is up to the customer

It's not as pretty as yours but here is the belt I made myself a couple years ago.  The snaps worked well, I'd be happy to sell a similar belt and put my name on it. Chicago screws would be excessively fiddly and slow imo. Of course I don't carry any weight on this belt so if it's intended to hold up a Bowie knife, a Coonan 357 and a six-pack as well as a pair of trousers I think the snaps might have trouble.

IMG_20170606_241328473.jpg

Just curious is that 8 snaps to reverse or what Matt S. Regards Brian

Aww I got to your question too late. They look awesome though. 

I did have an idea, maybe it'll help someone wanting to do the same thing? 

What if you took a belt blank of whatever thickness and sandwiched it between the two sides of the belt. You would keep the middle one longer than the other two to be the part to hold the buckle. You could dye each side of that little piece the opposite color and fasten it however you like. Would that work?

I think what you did is just fine and works great. This is just what came to mind when I saw your question. Food for thought 

7 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Just curious is that 8 snaps to reverse or what Matt S. Regards Brian

No just four. The black layer is a few inches longer than the brown (difficult to see with my photography) and has the tongue slot. I'll upload a video tonight when I get some time.

Ah Ha, Now I get it. Good idea.

8 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Aww I got to your question too late. They look awesome though. 

I did have an idea, maybe it'll help someone wanting to do the same thing? 

What if you took a belt blank of whatever thickness and sandwiched it between the two sides of the belt. You would keep the middle one longer than the other two to be the part to hold the buckle. You could dye each side of that little piece the opposite color and fasten it however you like. Would that work?

I think what you did is just fine and works great. This is just what came to mind when I saw your question. Food for thought 

Interesting idea but I think just a couple of inches in and tapered off would do due to expense.Could be quite difficult with snaps though I think.

True, you would also have an unfinished side of the buckle tab that may be undesirable. And possibly an awkward step on the front where the layers come together. I didn't think about those things lol

On 6/4/2017 at 10:09 PM, Halitech said:

20170605_000759a.jpg

How about a two sided keeper? Just dye the flip side brown..  Alternatively, just use a metal keeper like MattS.  Regardless, I like the belt, well done!

YinTx

18 hours ago, YinTx said:

How about a two sided keeper? Just dye the flip side brown..  Alternatively, just use a metal keeper like MattS.  Regardless, I like the belt, well done!

YinTx

the 2 sided keeper is a cool idea but, how would you flip it inside out? Not like there would be a lot of slack to allow you to flip it.