immiketoo

Dragon figure carving

On 1/24/2018 at 8:48 AM, Brown64 said:

Beautiful! Do you seal the leather before you paint it? That is what I do so I can use washes to get the coloring, and shadowing to look right. However I find the paint is easer to chip sometimes after it is dry. If you do seal it first what sealer do you use? If you don't how do you achieve these colors, and shadows without the leather soaking it up? Sorry for all the questions, but figure carving is my favorite, and you are about the best I have seen, so who better to ask. 

Don't worry, sorry for the VERY delayed response!  I do not seal the leather before I paint it.  I use thin paint to achieve the color and coverage I want.  It is all done by hand, and the blending is done with my finger between colors while the paint is wet.  I only use Golden Hi Flow acrylic paint because it has the characteristics I like for painting.  There is a base color that goes on, effectively sealing the leather, then the blending happens on top of that.  It also adheres nicely.  

On 2/19/2018 at 6:46 PM, chriscraft said:

Nice, was it all hand brush work? Looks like a little airbrush work was used. 

Nice that it's not over hand tooled. I think that is what makes painting these stand out more. Too much tooling can overwhelm the piece. But you didn't so great job. 

All by hand.  Blending with finger and brush while the paint is wet gives a nice fade.  Over tooling is one of my pet peeves

On 3/23/2018 at 6:50 AM, Pirate305 said:

Wow! Some awesome work! 

Thank you!

On 3/23/2018 at 3:07 PM, Bolt Vanderhuge said:

I have to second the all I got is WOW.

Again, thank you!

On 6/22/2017 at 10:06 PM, AZNightwolf said:

no matter where I move it's looking at me

Lol...I say that all the time!

You know after looking at it closely for about forever it feels like, I have to say your tooling control is amazing. The texture on the face and around the mouth is great! 

3 hours ago, Pirate305 said:

You know after looking at it closely for about forever it feels like, I have to say your tooling control is amazing. The texture on the face and around the mouth is great! 

Thank you.  I put a lot of thought into creating textures.  Whether its with my backgrounding, beveling or features on figure carving, I find that subtlety with lectures can often be more convincing than heavy handed tool marks.  For example, many folks use a mules foot to create scale effects and they pound them in deeply.  A light touch that just leaves the shape of the tool in the leather is all you need to create a convincing effect.  Snakes don't have deep gouges between their scales.

holy hell....wow...just amazing work with the clean carving and coloring. I would love to learn how to color my leather like you do.

Wow, inspirational work.Thanks for sharing.

'Jaw drops'