RockyAussie

How to lay down wallet pockets straight and even repeatedly

Here is a video showing off a device I made for quickly laying down wallet card pockets and getting them straight and evenly spaced. It is also used for lining up and attaching the strips to be folded and sometimes for line marking and pre creasing leather and cardboards etc. In it you will also see how I have converted a hand folding machine over to a foot operated in order to give better control and speed. I hope to load a longer and more detailed version showing more of the steps of the making of these wallets sometime soon. If you care to subscribe to my You Tube channel or follow me on LW here you will get notifications as new ones come up.Hope they help and please comment. Brian

Edited by RockyAussie
Double wording

Wow

That is a great idea. I would love some instructions on how to build one for myself if you don't mind, please.

Ingenious.  You've really come up with a lot of great tools to speed along production and yet still keep things handmade.  I'm sure that many of these also have multiple uses.  I can see both of these tools in a LOT of applications, and may give a go at something similar using more - uh - home accessible materials.  The folder reminds me of a sheet metal brake.

Bill

Great stuff Brian, that certainly speeds things up! that is a neat gadget and love that folder. looks like you could rustle up a wallet in 30 min?? cant wait to see your other videos and thanks for sharing.

Brian, being able to design and fabricate your own machinery is a real advantage. Thanks for sharing

Chuck

That's great.  Once a person has some fixed designs that they make, they would do well to invest in jigs/tools that make consistency easy.  Thanks for posting!

Is it just me or does that machine look like it can do 3 at a time?

That'll really speed it up.

20 hours ago, tearghost said:

Wow

That is a great idea. I would love some instructions on how to build one for myself if you don't mind, please.

I'm way under the hammer at the moment but will get you some close up pics and some basic measurements with in the fortnight. Brian

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Is it just me or does that machine look like it can do 3 at a time?

That'll really speed it up.

I have only ever done 2 at a time myself laying down or the folding but with these women working together ....well you now how it is...

17 hours ago, jimi said:

Great stuff Brian, that certainly speeds things up! that is a neat gadget and love that folder. looks like you could rustle up a wallet in 30 min?? cant wait to see your other videos and thanks for sharing.

30 minutes on a plain leather style maybe but not with Crocodile unfortunately.Next video will show some of the headaches of working with croc and how I go about getting them to thickness.

9 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

I'm way under the hammer at the moment but will get you some close up pics and some basic measurements with in the fortnight. Brian

awesome thank you

Here is the pictures and dimensions of the line up tool in a pdf file. I should point out that most of this device could be made in timber, mostly 2x1 dressed pine I think except that I would use a bit of 3mm aluminium at the line up edge just screwed to the timber. There are 2 pages and the second has most of the dimensions of the one I made here. The top is 2 layers of 16mm (5/8") MDF craftwood in order for it to take a good pounding as you see it does in the video. The top has also been covered in a sheet of teflon in order to allow the products to slide around easily.The centre slide section I have done in aluminium as it is straight as a ruler and easy to keep clean of glue deposits. Hope that gives you all that's needed and any questions just ask. Brian

Line up tool.pdf

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Reminds me of some of the printing equipment I have used in the past...  It is true that guides, jigs etc. can make life much easier! I learned that doing wood working. -Adam

11 hours ago, arz said:

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Reminds me of some of the printing equipment I have used in the past...  It is true that guides, jigs etc. can make life much easier! I learned that doing wood working. -Adam

It is amazing the similarities in wood working and it has helped a lot with many different ways that I have approached how I go about making the leather work that I now do. Wood machining was my first trade. Brian

On 21/06/2017 at 1:10 AM, billybopp said:

I'm sure that many of these also have multiple uses.  I can see both of these tools in a LOT of applications,

Just found this old post looking for a reply to a question on getting zippers to sit in straight. We find it very helpful for that purpose as well so I thought I'd give it a bump.

Thanks Brian, I hadn't seen where you had inserted the PDF before. So, the bump was dual serving.